Help Front brake question? Popped cap off piston

5 replies to this topic
  • Digger01

Posted July 20, 2007 - 06:36 AM

While cleaning up my brake Caliper I popped off the silver cap off one of the pistons! (even distorted a little). Can I just reinstall this cap after some careful reshaping ? (While cleaning/twisting the pistons which were still in the caliper the top popped off)

If I buy the seal kit I dont think it will have a new cap for the piston, or can I buy just the piston?

Should I just put in the new pads and install everything to get my brake up and running or get the new seal kit. (would like to get it at Honda if possible, there is a shop on the way home)

The MC is a Nisssin 11 and I have a floating disk (cleaned and sanded smooth as best I can without taking to much off or creating warrped disk, I think it is original). Just to note: I bought this bike used and was planning on having the fork seals and brakes replaced due to fork oil on everything. Thou the brakes worked up till I took it apart..

• ben_suhard

Posted July 20, 2007 - 11:17 PM

While cleaning up my brake Caliper I popped off the silver cap off one of the pistons! (even distorted a little). Can I just reinstall this cap after some careful reshaping ? (While cleaning/twisting the pistons which were still in the caliper the top popped off).

Are you talking about the part that comes into contact with the pads? How do you think it was damaged and where abouts is it damaged?

• Digger01

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:47 AM

Yes, it the cap and I put a bend in the sidewall of the cap.

In cleaning thought I was turning the brake piston in the caliper while wiping down the little bit that was protruding out of the caliper... Damn thing popped off and got wedged under a wrench at which time my son stepped on it trying to pick it up!

I took various sockets and sort of reformed it to original shape. Then I took it and put it back on the caliper then placed an old pad and squeezed it with channel lock - it popped right back on. It even retracted into the caliper just like the other piston and hopefully - no damage done. I will assemble everything maybe in the next few days.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:11 AM

If it were me, I'd probably get a new cap just to be on the safe side 'cause you don't really want a front brake to fail. If you reassemble everything as is, fit the new brake pads and it doesn't leak, it's up to you if you want to keep riding it like that.

• Digger01

Posted July 23, 2007 - 09:41 AM

Thanks ben_suhard,

for the responce - I agree to get new cap and or pistons, a new kit also... but where do I get these parts ?? I have been searcing the web and am having trouble finding it (last night I found a MC rebuild kit on the bay).

I think I am to call a couple of places. Maybe even the Honda dealer. Though I have a Nissin 11 caliper. I will keep my fingers crossed for this week but I would like to resolve this in a better fashion..

• ben_suhard

Posted July 23, 2007 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, the Honda dealer should be able to get you whatever you need.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.