Excel Rim Bent

2 replies to this topic
  • mcarp

Posted June 01, 2000 - 07:20 PM

I riding bud w/ a YZ426 dented his front rim -appx 3" of buldge on lip of rim, maybe 1/2" sticking out at the farthest point. I suspect his tire pressure was low and he did hit a rock at high speed. My question is do the Excel rims have a warranty? Is this fairly common, I thought Excels were the best? He usually runs at 12-13psi, normally fine for the woods stuff, who knows if it was less than that. Any thoughts?

Amazingly a bike shop said it was OK, just "go with it" (i quote). Am I crazy or should this be straightend or replaced?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted June 01, 2000 - 08:02 PM

I bent my front right after I got the bike about 15 months ago by hitting a concrete lip edge of a water crossing while sitting on the seat. I've never had a problem with it. I wouldn't try to straighten it, aluminum doesn't like to be bent more than once.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 01, 2000 - 09:56 PM

Originally posted by mcarp:
I riding bud w/ a YZ426 dented his front rim -appx 3" of buldge on lip of rim, maybe 1/2" sticking out at the farthest point. I suspect his tire pressure was low and he did hit a rock at high speed. My question is do the Excel rims have a warranty? Is this fairly common, I thought Excels were the best? He usually runs at 12-13psi, normally fine for the woods stuff, who knows if it was less than that. Any thoughts?

You can beat it out on anvil.
With the inside of the rim on the anvil hit it swiftly with a heavy leather hammer or with a normal hammer but using a piece of copper wrapped in cloth between the rim and the hammer.
With the pressures I personally run heavyduty tubes with 6-10 psi in the rear (bepending on terrain) and 10-12 in the front.
Yet to have a puncture or a rim dent.
People look at me like I'm crazy but there is NOTHING that compares to a Shinko 540/HD tube and 6psi for traction in soft or muddy!

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.