Installing Pro-tapers?

5 replies to this topic
  • zimmermangm

Posted June 01, 2000 - 10:40 AM

I just bent the crap out of my brand new Renthal bars (on their first ride!) I'm going to switch to Pro-tapers, what do I need? I think I need a new top triple clamp and mounts. What brands do you guys recommend? How hard is it to swap a triple clamp? cost?

thanks.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 01, 2000 - 03:35 PM

Ver easy to swap the top clamp.
There is just the one nut on top of the clamp and a snug nut (Im not sure what you call it) underneath. You dont even need to take your forks off.
I use the applied racing TC. It has a lifetime warranty. If it cracks, get a new one for free. How many bike parts do you know of that has that!
I cant remember the exact cost, I think it was around $100-120.

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• Bill

Posted June 01, 2000 - 04:24 PM

Scotts makes a triple clamp,Dampner and Pro-Taper "kit". It is lower in cost than buying all of the components seperately. I think it also moves the bars forward for more room on the bike. Someone also makes a triple clamp that reduces the wheel base of the bike to help it turn better.

If you've never ridden with Pro-Tapers, you may want to. I have Renthals and when riding my buddies bike with Pro-Tapers. The bars flex quite a bit (no crossbar) and do not give ME the feedback from the front end that I would like.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat/brick.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike

Posted June 01, 2000 - 07:20 PM

If you don't want to buy new triple clamps you can purchase a mount piece that attaches to your existing triple clamps that is far less money (approx $10) that will make your Pro Tapers fit. I did this because of fund shortage and it works just fine. I can't think of the name but any MX shop should carry them if they carry Pro Tapers. Just ask for the mount that attaches directly to your existing clamp. Raises the bars a little but if that doesn't bother you it works fine.

Mike

------------------
98WR White Bros E Series stock head pipe, IMS Tank/seat Pro Tapers Works Connection guards. Stock timing

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 01, 2000 - 09:43 PM

Originally posted by zimmermangm:
I just bent the crap out of my brand new Renthal bars (on their first ride!) I'm going to switch to Pro-tapers, what do I need? I think I need a new top triple clamp and mounts. What brands do you guys recommend? How hard is it to swap a triple clamp? cost?

thanks.

I have pretzled MANY a set of Rentals from small offs..
Installed P/Tapers with Vortex clamp over a year ago and they're still straight.
They held up to a crash that broke my humerus so they must be good!
I've also had the bike cartwheeling down the hill on many occasions and all they do is twist in the clamps.
WORTH EVERY CENT!
If you're interested in a clamp/damper/bar deal.. let me know via porrittm@anet.co.nz as I'm doing a big dealer order soon.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

[This message has been edited by Matt Porritt (edited 06-02-2000).]

• livetoride12

Posted December 27, 2008 - 04:47 PM

how do you install pro tapers? since the bar pad cant be removed without cutting i tried removing the cross bar so i can bolt the bars down (the crossbar pad doesnt give me clearence to put the bolts on) but its way too tight and i cant get it off. how do u install these???? any help would be appreciated

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.