Has Anyone put a topend in their 06 yet?

31 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted July 19, 2007 - 08:21 PM

Just wondering if anyone that races mx regularly has put a piston and rings in their 06 450f yet? If so how many hours did you have on it and if no one has yet how many hours do you have on the bike. I have 15 races on mine and alot of practices also:crazy: ,mine has 35.1 hours on it and seems to still be strong and pull hard.:applause: :applause: :applause: Iam so use to 2 strokes when I would put rings in every 5th race and a piston every 10th that I feel Iam neglecting my 4-stroke. Although I change the oil after every hour of riding and clean the ss oil filter,also maintain the airfilter.

• Octane250F

Posted July 19, 2007 - 09:45 PM

I dunno if Id worry about it at this time. 450s are pretty bulletproof and last a really long time as long as you take care of them.
I might consider changing out the piston and rings when it has over 50 hours on it, but I dont think you are due for a new piston just yet.

• matts06yzf

Posted July 20, 2007 - 06:11 AM

Not being an ass but didnt you just ask this question a few weeks back?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=525028 , I have 4 times the hours you have on your bike and no need for a topend. I ride the piss out of mine just keep your oil canged and a clean Air filter:ride:

Stop being so paranoid.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 20, 2007 - 06:47 AM

Just wondering if anyone that races mx regularly has put a piston and rings in their 06 450f yet? If so how many hours did you have on it and if no one has yet how many hours do you have on the bike. I have 15 races on mine and alot of practices also:crazy: ,mine has 35.1 hours on it and seems to still be strong and pull hard.:applause: :applause: :applause: Iam so use to 2 strokes when I would put rings in every 5th race and a piston every 10th that I feel Iam neglecting my 4-stroke. Although I change the oil after every hour of riding and clean the ss oil filter,also maintain the airfilter.

your bike is fine ...keep riding it.....consider doing it when you have 75hrs or more.....

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 20, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Not being an ass but didnt you just ask this question a few weeks back?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=525028 , I have 4 times the hours you have on your bike and no need for a topend. I ride the piss out of mine just keep your oil canged and a clean Air filter:ride:

Stop being so paranoid.

Yea! it was me that asked.......But Dam!!! how do these 4-strokes keep on going?

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2007 - 01:17 PM

Yea! it was me that asked.......But Dam!!! how do these 4-strokes keep on going?

Solid execution of a sound design using quality materials.

• Captaincautious7

Posted July 20, 2007 - 02:25 PM

I think he has acquired two-strokeidis and feels the constant urge to change his rings. In the land of 4-strokes this disease doesn't exist. Seek out help immediately before you spend unjustifiable large sums of money on replacement parts you don't need!

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 20, 2007 - 04:48 PM

I think he has acquired two-strokeidis and feels the constant urge to change his rings. In the land of 4-strokes this disease doesn't exist. Seek out help immediately before you spend unjustifiable large sums of money on replacement parts you don't need!

:smirk: :smirk: :smirk: Thats a good one!!:cheers: I bout fell out of the chair laughing when I seen this..........But I will try not to worry so much about when I should put rings and a piston in and concentrate more on riding. I appreaciate yalls help on calming me down and helping me from worring about it, Its good to know you have good friends on TT:thumbsup:

• Octane250F

Posted July 20, 2007 - 08:19 PM

Oil is a much better lubricant than premix, thats how.
http://www.howstuffw...two-stroke6.htm

Two-stroke engines don't last nearly as long as four-stroke engines. The lack of a dedicated lubrication system means that the parts of a two-stroke engine wear a lot faster.

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 20, 2007 - 11:10 PM

82 hours, adjusted one intake valve. no loss in power or compression...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blue9red9

Posted July 21, 2007 - 06:34 AM

I relate. I took my 06 apart... probably 50+ hours. I posted the results here and there was no need for the top end I put in. I spent valuable time and money etc. Just ride the damned thing and change the oil. Now my kid's kx85 that just lost a circlip and wiped everything out from the cylinder on up is a different story...

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 21, 2007 - 08:34 AM

82 hours, adjusted one intake valve. no loss in power or compression...

:jawdrop: That is plumb amazing...
and to think I waited 5 years before getting a four stroke:banghead:

• Octane250F

Posted July 21, 2007 - 11:19 AM

Now you understand why most people ride a 4-stroke nowdays.

• tmontgomery

Posted February 27, 2009 - 02:58 PM

If you have the piston circlips that have holes in them for snap-ring pliers, change them now. They will fail and when they do, all that is reusable is the trans gears and the head.

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2009 - 03:29 PM

If you have the piston circlips that have holes in them for snap-ring pliers, change them now. They will fail and when they do, all that is reusable is the trans gears and the head.

Not true. "Tru-arc" type clips are as reliable as any other type if correctly installed, and are original equipment on YZF engines. Virtually all failures of this type of clip are caused by the engine builder.

• NEVER reuse them.
  • ALWAYS use the correct type pliers to install them, so that they are not twisted or damaged.
  • ALWAYS install them with the ends of the clip at the top or bottom (top is preferred)
  • ALWAYS use the type of clip called for by the manufacturer of the piston. Different clip grooves are cut for different type clips. Do not mix them.

• StPeters21

Posted February 27, 2009 - 07:28 PM

Just wondering if anyone that races mx regularly has put a piston and rings in their 06 450f yet? If so how many hours did you have on it and if no one has yet how many hours do you have on the bike. I have 15 races on mine and alot of practices also:crazy: ,mine has 35.1 hours on it and seems to still be strong and pull hard.:lol: :worthy: :banghead: Iam so use to 2 strokes when I would put rings in every 5th race and a piston every 10th that I feel Iam neglecting my 4-stroke. Although I change the oil after every hour of riding and clean the ss oil filter,also maintain the airfilter.

Only 35 hours????:busted: :lol: I have an 06 and just did mine a couple weeks ago. It made a huge difference....but then again I port and polished her up :lol: :lol: :bonk: :bonk: She runs incredible.... I've never seen throttle response out of a Yamaha like this ever :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• tmontgomery

Posted February 28, 2009 - 06:45 AM

I guess that is why every one else in the industry is using wire clips. This was a low hour original engine that dropped the clip into the lowerend and when the pin slid far enough out it broke the piston, rod, cases , balance shaft and cylinder skirt. So much for the engine builder. Yamaha built this one. This is the third one I have seen fail. Just a warning for those of you who think they will last forever, pull it apart and check it once in awhile. It is a race bike not a daily driver.

• wellsy1

Posted February 28, 2009 - 09:12 AM

I had 100 running hours on my 06 before i did the top end. had a couple of little scratches on the piston. probably would have had a little more life in it, but a 100 hours of riding the piss out of it was good enough for me.

• VB_Racing

Posted February 28, 2009 - 12:18 PM

I dont know how you guys are getting that much time out of your top ends, My 08 has 35 hours on it, and needs a piston, cam chain, and valves, I do run the ice along with motox, I change the oil at 2 hours, and replace the air filter regularly, I don't get get it:excuseme:

Dave

• KJ790

Posted February 28, 2009 - 12:55 PM

I dont know how you guys are getting that much time out of your top ends, My 08 has 35 hours on it, and needs a piston, cam chain, and valves, I do run the ice along with motox, I change the oil at 2 hours, and replace the air filter regularly, I don't get get it:excuseme:

Dave

I don't know how your bike could need all that unless you are not oiling your air filter properly. I changed my piston at 60 hours and it looked great, couldn't tell it had more than 5 minutes of run time on it. My valves have never moved either. I am an A class MX racer and spend a lot of time wide open.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.