* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4429 replies to this topic
  • arcalaska

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted April 04, 2010 - 11:03 AM

I picked up a YZ450 pipe yesterday for $75 and I just put it on. Wow it sounds nice!

• dragon

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted April 05, 2010 - 04:31 AM

in need of an overhaul, so ordered a piston kit n gasket n bushing o ring kit, waiting for it to arrive, cant wait to get back on the trail

• mweitz

TT Bronze Member

259 posts

Posted April 05, 2010 - 05:15 AM

Wow, it seems I'm always doing something to my WR426.

It is plated, but not quite legal. The signals are always getting ripped off and it is missing a few things.

The wiring to the taillight assembly was a mess as well as the rear turn signals so I redid that last week with flushmount LED signals. Came out clean, but the right light didn't work very well. It was the switch.

Yesterday I swapped out the stock H4 headlight jack with a 3 wire one, and installed a horn and pulled the toggle switch I had for the turn signals and wired the whole mess into a new handlebar control assembly from Rockymountainatv.com

Posted Image

Now I have high / low beams for the headlight, a horn, and real turn signal buttons.

I also just ordered an illuminated license plate frame.

Next I just have to figure out how to put a battery in and I'll be fairly street legal. I hate fix-it tickets.

Mark

• pugh433

TT Member

49 posts

Posted April 05, 2010 - 11:20 PM

looking for a 2007+ headlight, please pm. Thanks

• 123BigcoopDawg576

TT Titanium Member

2,664 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 06:21 AM

I bought 06 YZ cams :thumbsup:

• mjslim

TT Bronze Member

385 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 09:14 AM

Shortened the choke knob so it won't hit the inside of my Acerbis 3.4 gal tank. Cut off the knob portion, crossed drilled the shaft with a 3/32" drill bit, then installed a 3/32" roll pin as a "T" so there is something to grab onto. Covered the ends of the roll pin with urethane tubing for a nice finished look.

The Acerbis tank lobe almost touches the choke knob on my '03 WR450 when it is pulled out to the start position. It makes it hard to grab the knob and push it back in once the bike is warmed up. In addition, the tank lobe can deflect inwards from a low speed tip over and bend the choke shaft, causing a vacuum leak at the rubber boot seal. This happened once, causing my bike to boil over on a slow technical trail, almost leaving me to stranded 15 miles from camp.

If you have a desert tank that comes close to touching your choke knob, you could run into this problem. Look at your choke knob while you spin it with your fingers. If the knob wobbles as it spins, your choke shaft is bent. If it is bent enough to deflect the rubber boot, odds are you have a vacuum leak.

• 2in2out

TT Bronze Member

352 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 09:30 AM

Cancelled my order with Motosport. A customer service story:

This morning I called to alter an order that was waiting on inventory. The operator that answered was very curt, rude, and short with me. When I asked to be transferred to someone else because he was being a D*ck, I was immediately hung up on.

I called back, and the same operator answered the line with the same tone. When I asked for the supervisor, he put me on hold, and plead his case. The supervisor answered, and when I explained how his operator answered the line, and how a customer service call should be answered, he told me I was out of line.

I immediately asked to have the rest of my order cancelled, refunded, and for my name to be taken off of any mailing lists.

I will not do business with a company that conducts themselves in this way any further. I am fed up with poor customer service.

The rest of my order should be here today. New tires, IMS tank, frame guards, JD kit, SS oil filter.

• bloodline

TT Bronze Member

263 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 10:31 AM

Sold it. Bye bye. No more 4 strokes for me. I just got a gallon of motul 800 and I couldn't be happier.

• tribalbc

TT Addict

4,971 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 10:38 AM

I bought 06 YZ cams :lol:

Taking the plunge are we :thumbsup:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

TT Titanium Member

2,664 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 11:29 AM

Taking the plunge are we :thumbsup:

I couldnt pass up the price on these :applause:

Plus I think with some jetting tweaks I can get these to work just fine. Ill also throw in a new piston and rings while I'm at it :)

Oh and dont tell n e one but I am looking for a set of YZ forks to try out as well...might give the Dave J treatment :lol:

Posted Image

• erickdj

TT Gold Member

1,236 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 11:47 AM

Plus I think with some jetting tweaks I can get these to work just fine. Ill also throw in a new piston and rings while I'm at it :)

Oh and dont tell n e one but I am looking for a set of YZ forks to try out as well...might give the Dave J treatment :lol:

Posted Image

I know from experience that it's very hard to pass up a set of cams like that for a good price. Once you tweak the jetting or figure out a starting routine the e-start won't be a real problem.

A piston and rings already? Wow, you must have really beat that bike badly.

btw, YZ forks are the bees knees....:thumbsup:

• tribalbc

TT Addict

4,971 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 04:50 PM

Posted Image

That should give you a good bump in power :jawdrop:

Too cold here still to mess with my estart. The lithium battery doesn't like the cold. It sure kickstarts easy though, pretty much first kick every time when hot and does it ever rip :thumbsup:

I don't know what the Dave J thing is with the YZ forks. But his phase 4 kit certainly transforms the WR fork. I'm still the most blown away with the shock difference though. Drill the free piston ports a little bigger and change a couple shims and:worthy:

• JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 04:56 PM

Started it and ran it for a bit. Drained the float bowl and put the battery back on the charger.

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted April 07, 2010 - 07:39 PM

Took it for a ride in the lake arrowhead area. No dust some mud and perfect weather! :) :thumbsup: :lol:

• Parx_400

TT Silver Member

577 posts

Posted April 08, 2010 - 10:07 AM

Got my Blue number plates with number on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2in2out

TT Bronze Member

352 posts

Posted April 08, 2010 - 10:52 PM

To my new-to-me 2006 I did the following:
-UFO rear fender
-IMS 3.1 gal. natural tank
-Devol radiator and frame guards
-JD kit 168 main, red needle clip 5
-New tires
-Found sprocket was loose on hub, tightened it up.

Waiting on FMF powerbomb Sx header and FMF Q4 can. Should be here by Monday.

ATL- ProTaper Evo YZ-Lo bar and clamps.

Wish list: Applied or D1H triple clamps, and YZ forks, heavier rear spring (or get back down to bikini weight. Better luck with the spring).

Update: Rode it for 15 min. Top clamp came loose. Bolts were to long and nuts were at end of thread. I need to add new washers.

Edited by 2in2out, April 11, 2010 - 07:26 AM.
Update

• Icelandic_amateur

TT Member

43 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 09, 2010 - 12:20 AM

Interesting indicator lights you have on your bike. Is this something you "glued" on after you bought it. (Can I buy one of these somewhere?).

Do you have front indicator lights?

• Parx_400

TT Silver Member

577 posts

Posted April 09, 2010 - 07:54 AM

Interesting indicator lights you have on your bike. Is this something you "glued" on after you bought it. (Can I buy one of these somewhere?).

Do you have front indicator lights?

The fronts are zeta hand guards with built in turn signals. The rear are just glue on sport bike ones.

• big25country

TT Newbie

23 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 06:19 AM

Dusted mine off and pulled the plastics. Cleaned the spider webs and such off of it. Pulled the carb and cleaned it, installed a new petcock and an inline fuel filter. Carb still leaks, got new neddle valve and seats on order. Got it started but the battery is shot, so waiting on the money to get a new one. Also got a new mixer screw so I can adjust it better, it's real lean now. Gonna pull the carb today and clean the bowl and be ready for the needle valve and seat.

Did the Gray wire mod and chopped the throttle stop.

• kenth333

TT Newbie

3 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 11, 2010 - 10:52 PM

Installed new ProTaper (YZ High gold) Contour handlebar and medium grips with ProTaper fatbar mounts :thumbsup:. Also got me a new speedsensor to get the speedo and trip working. First time ordered from TT. Very happy with the quality of service on tt's part. Less happy with finnish customs having me waiting 1,5 hours in line to toll'em.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.