* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4430 replies to this topic
  • davidl9999

TT Addict

3,907 posts

Posted March 26, 2010 - 12:58 PM

I installed a new Race Tech rear spring. My fat ass has been riding around 3 years on a under sprung bike. Looking foward to this weekend to see how it is.:thumbsup:

Please say that you did the fork springs too. If you didn't, the stiffer rear spring will cause your front end to "sag" (since that's where the weight will transfer to) and that changes the steering head angle making the bike twitchy if not dangerous.

• Chevy_Cowboy
4,087 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 26, 2010 - 01:30 PM

Wow! A bit pricy :thumbsup: Think I'll go this route

http://www.ebattonline.com/

yeah, not cheap but if the replacement holds up like the original It's not that bad. I looked into a couple of the lithium batteries out there, but the reviews were pretty mixed and the price is about the same. I think I'll wait til they work out some more bugs before jumping on that bandwagon.

• Mntnchild123

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted March 27, 2010 - 05:49 AM

I finished most of my project yesterday. I installed the Tusk brand enduro kit, with hi/low switch, turn signals, brake light, mirror and horn. I've never done anything like it before, so it took awhile but it was relatively easy. I also installed new Tusk T-10 handlebar, grips, brushguard, No-Toil filters and fluid(s) changed. The Bike passed the state inspection no sweat. Next Im "cowboying up" and im gonna switch out my tires to the Kenda Trak-master k760s. Agressive tread and still DOT.
http://i970.photobuc...galstuff002.jpg
http://i970.photobuc...galstuff003.jpg
http://i970.photobuc...galstuff005.jpg
http://i970.photobuc...galstuff008.jpg

• gsa102

TT Silver Member

937 posts

Posted March 28, 2010 - 01:53 PM

Intalled Rekluse - Z Start Clutch and changed the water pump seals and bearing. The shaft was good, so it went back in. Also installed a new Guts Racing Tall Seat and new Cover. Installed an hourmeter, and changed the oil and cleaned the air cleaner. Washed it, and got it all dirty again.:thumbsup:

• flynz

TT Member

67 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 05:39 AM

Stock computer died so I installed Trailtech Vapor easy install and works good so far tach works solid I soldeerd the wire on the coil terminal instead of wraping around.Also install new front tire Dunlop 756 it looks like it should work great in sand and soft terrain.:thumbsup:

• Chevy_Cowboy
4,087 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:31 PM

Stock computer died so I installed Trailtech Vapor easy install and works good so far tach works solid I soldeerd the wire on the coil terminal instead of wraping around.Also install new front tire Dunlop 756 it looks like it should work great in sand and soft terrain.:thumbsup:

my new trailtech vapor just arrived saturday, gonna install it sometime this week.

What settings did you use for the temperature and shift lights?

• OneGuy

TT Newbie

6 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:37 PM

Got my '09 out of the crate and assembled it.

• flynz

TT Member

67 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:17 AM

my new trailtech vapor just arrived saturday, gonna install it sometime this week.

What settings did you use for the temperature and shift lights?

I used 220 for high setting 240 for danger
8000 rpm for shift 11000 rpm danger

I just put these in this weekend and haven't had a chance to ride due to illness to see how these settings work they are just preliminary.

• Chevy_Cowboy
4,087 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 30, 2010 - 03:47 AM

ok, thanks, sounds like a good place to start anyway.

Cant wait to get the vapor mounted and try it out.

• tribalbc

TT Addict

4,971 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 12:47 PM

Installed my new Guts seat :thumbsup:
Tall medium foam and factory edition cover. The 3 ribs in the back are really grippy, sort of the same idea as a seat bump, they hold you in there.
I'd say the medium density is a little softer than stock. My old foam was water logged big time from the tear in my seat :)

Not a perfect install but it was my first :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2in2out

TT Bronze Member

352 posts

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:05 AM

Sold my 2002 WR 426, and picked up 2006 WR 450 stock. Uncorked it yesterday, along with grey wire, air box, and throttle stop mods.

Being shipped is: IMS 3.1 tank, UFO YZ rear fender w/light, SS oil filter, New tires, Plastics, JD kit.

I'm so stoked to have the elder button.

I was going to do before and after pics, but I got to excited.

• 2006wr450f

TT Bronze Member

322 posts

Posted March 31, 2010 - 07:17 AM

congratulations on the newer bike.:thumbsup:

• jayh300

TT Platinum Member

1,861 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 06:00 AM

works connection skid plate... ordered pro tapers and new hand guards.. will post up when i get them on...

Posted Image

• 2in2out

TT Bronze Member

352 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 05:25 PM

Posted Image

J,

What bar is that, and what is the sweep on it?

• jayh300

TT Platinum Member

1,861 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 06:39 PM

J,

What bar is that, and what is the sweep on it?

it is factory yahama 07 wr bars.. i think they are like the yzs , they dont have much sweep

here is the stamp number..

Posted Image

here is a link i found on those bars with specs and that stamp number

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=533935

Edited by jhendr3702, April 01, 2010 - 06:56 PM.

• 2in2out

TT Bronze Member

352 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:33 PM

Thanks. I ordered a CR high bend with Turner mounts. I hope it fits. The 426 I sold was set just right bar wise. Wish I could have stripped it before I sold it.

• OneGuy

TT Newbie

6 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:49 PM

Broke in the engine on my 09 450F, uncorked and grey wired it.

• spick

TT Bronze Member

144 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 03:55 AM

Finally getting my rear suspension back together after pulling to clean and grease the bearings. Had to replace some of the bearing in the lower linkage as they were dry and totally cooked.

Do it now before it's too late!

Looking at a stator and lighting upgrade soon as well as an upcoming trip will likely mean hitting the trail before sunrise.

• jayh300

TT Platinum Member

1,861 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 05:52 AM

Thanks. I ordered a CR high bend with Turner mounts. I hope it fits. The 426 I sold was set just right bar wise. Wish I could have stripped it before I sold it.

those mounts look just like the pro's... should work fine. i am pretty short 5'6" and did not want to raise mine up.. I set on a bike with these on it and liked them. I have also done the mini lows, but getting bark busters on was pretty tight... we will ride saturday and see how it feels..

• ws6transam

TT Member

33 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 08:14 AM

Yesterday I took it for a blast down the street to try out the new autoclutch. I moved to a new X-ring chain, and a 15 tooth front sprocket to take away a bit of the explosiveness of first gear, but it didn't really help much. What's thrilling is now the clutch slips and lets the motor drop to idle, and then when you whack the gas, it hits good and hard in most every gear. In fact, I was doing 48 MPH according to the trailtech, and when I chopped the throttle in fourth gear, then slammed it open, the bike pulled the front tire way up in the air, maybe 10, 12-inches . Comfortable fifth gear cruising speed on the highway is now about 64 MPH. That's up 14 MPH from when I sported a 14/52 gearset. I'm now running a 15/48 ratio and it's a much more ridable bike.

I also dropped the front forks in the triple clamps to try and make it a bit more turnable in the woods. Previously it rode and felt like a straight-line desert racing bike. (Well, yeah I know it is--- ) I'm hoping that cinching the rear tire forward in the swing arm, and dropping the forks helps it turn a little better. I've also got a new set of high-rise Pro-Taper handlebars sitting here that should reduce the bar width by two or three inches over these desert bars.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works on the trails!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

98 WR 400 Project by Justin Steele

• 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.