* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4445 replies to this topic
  • ASternad

TT Silver Member

738 posts

Posted February 05, 2010 - 01:41 PM

That's some coin to throw into a vitage ride.
What Year and can we get a pic of the bike in full trim?

• ws6transam

TT Member

33 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 06:37 AM

It is a 1992 Yamaha WR500, built around February or March of 1991. Build sequence # 00163. I've got it titled and street registered. I always wanted one of these air hammers, and it's an incredible rush. Not quite as explosive as a KX500, but pretty much on par as a CR500. I've had the head and cylinder extensively modified by Eric Gorr, and the suspension has been redone by Tech Care. The lighting coil has been replaced by a Moose KX500 75W model, and the bike has a mixture of Sicass Racing, Polisport and Enduro Engineering components on it. It's equipped with Vaportech Endurance computer. It's even got a gell cell battery and real-deal motorbike horn.

A vintage machine, yes - It's definitely a nostalgia bike - probably not as much low-end torque as a 450, but it's got a top-end rush that throws roost at 50 MPH in fourth gear. Fifth takes me to at least 80 MPH, and I haven't found a trail long or straight enough in Michigan to push it any farther. One downside to the WR500 is that it's a 262 pound machine running an early-nineties YZ suspension. That makes it a handful on tight Michigan woods trails. Open fire trails are where this bike shines. However it's suspension is WORLDS better than the previous dirt bike suspensions I've used, especially since I had Tech Care go through it.

The nice part is there are no radiators to mess with, no valve adjustments either. I can remove the entire induction system in about ten minutes, and a top-end can be done in one afternoon.

Posted Image

BTW, Here is the completed clutch cover that houses the new autoclutch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• luis1987

TT Newbie

6 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 07:33 AM

i've done nothing as cool as you guys, but painted the front of the frame where it has been bombarded by stones over the years. lubed the chain. just generally gone round it making sure it will be ready to ride when i get chance,,,, which is gonna be about a month:cry::ride::lol:

looks a lot better now though!

• the_smoo

TT Bronze Member

227 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 08:53 AM

stared at mine longingly before starting to shovel over a foot of snow...

• rkwfxd1

TT Silver Member

751 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 03:31 PM

Changed the oil and lubed the chain in preparation to going riding Monday with my daughter and all next weekend with friends.

• jim1234
1,140 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 06:42 PM

I bought a 05 with 50 orig. miles. It came with a white bros exhaust and 2 hot cams in the package. I cleaned the carb, did the grey wire mod, ap pump mod,installed the wb exhaust, jd jetting, put in engine ice and changed the oil. It was a blast to ride!

• Mntnchild123

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted February 07, 2010 - 08:24 AM

I worked on my 06 wr450 for all of 4 min. Im putting a Tusk brand "Enduro lighting kit" on. Installed horn and flasher relay. Still have the headlight high/low to install. Then bleed the brakes and Im done. Tricky when I can only seem to work on it in 5 min. intervals. (anyone know if the original headlight has the capacity for high/low?)

• Paco Paez

TT Member

64 posts

Posted February 07, 2010 - 10:30 AM

Yes at least my 09 has a two filament light bolbe.
I'm still tweeking the front suspention lookink for that spot where its just right for me

• PaulEvan

TT Bronze Member

102 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 07, 2010 - 08:19 PM

The polish looks great! Good job! How far did you have to tear the bike down?

• yamaripper

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted February 08, 2010 - 04:27 AM

Sat there, stared at it and then went inside to get warm. Was tempted to ride in the snow!:ride:

• jayh300

TT Platinum Member

1,861 posts

Posted February 08, 2010 - 02:09 PM

It is a 1992 Yamaha WR500, built around February or March of 1991. Build sequence # 00163. I've got it titled and street registered. I always wanted one of these air hammers, and it's an incredible rush. Not quite as explosive as a KX500, but pretty much on par as a CR500. I've had the head and cylinder extensively modified by Eric Gorr, and the suspension has been redone by Tech Care. The lighting coil has been replaced by a Moose KX500 75W model, and the bike has a mixture of Sicass Racing, Polisport and Enduro Engineering components on it. It's equipped with Vaportech Endurance computer. It's even got a gell cell battery and real-deal motorbike horn.

A vintage machine, yes - It's definitely a nostalgia bike - probably not as much low-end torque as a 450, but it's got a top-end rush that throws roost at 50 MPH in fourth gear. Fifth takes me to at least 80 MPH, and I haven't found a trail long or straight enough in Michigan to push it any farther. One downside to the WR500 is that it's a 262 pound machine running an early-nineties YZ suspension. That makes it a handful on tight Michigan woods trails. Open fire trails are where this bike shines. However it's suspension is WORLDS better than the previous dirt bike suspensions I've used, especially since I had Tech Care go through it.

The nice part is there are no radiators to mess with, no valve adjustments either. I can remove the entire induction system in about ten minutes, and a top-end can be done in one afternoon.

Posted Image

BTW, Here is the completed clutch cover that houses the new autoclutch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

very nice WR... had a 92 wr200 and loved it.. I always wanted a 500 also...

jay

• tribalbc

TT Addict

4,971 posts

Posted February 09, 2010 - 06:20 PM

Rode it :ride:

Then replaced my front brake cable with a Goodrich stainless steel one.
My old brake line had worn right through the outer liner and part way through the inner where it rubs on the top guide.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

TT Titanium Member

2,664 posts

Posted February 09, 2010 - 06:27 PM

replaced my front brake cable with a Goodrich stainless steel one.

details and part numbers:bonk: (please:busted:)

• tribalbc

TT Addict

4,971 posts

Posted February 09, 2010 - 06:39 PM

Better fit as it's more flexible. With my bars raised and forward I had the problem of my stock line rubbing on the top guide.

http://www.yamahaspo...kits-front.aspx

• tribalbc

TT Addict

4,971 posts

Posted February 10, 2010 - 04:44 PM

So details... I rode with it today.

I wouldn't say the braking was much more powerful but it certainly gave a much better feel, more progressive and responsive :ride:

• AZWFO

TT Member

26 posts

Posted February 13, 2010 - 11:14 AM

Uncorked the Exhaust on my 400 for the first time! Then went on one of the most amazing 90 mile speed/dual sport/power/scenic runs ever! :ride:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• OUTERLIMITS

Get Help Now

5,041 posts

Posted February 13, 2010 - 06:37 PM

Blew out my shock, dumped its juice in the bed of the truck. Well, guess now is as good a time as any for a revalve. :ride:

• rkwfxd1

TT Silver Member

751 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 06:14 PM

Rode it with my two best bros and my daughter. What a great day.

• RSAthump

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted February 15, 2010 - 04:27 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Paco Paez

TT Member

64 posts

Posted February 15, 2010 - 05:43 PM

58 miles on suday @ dove springs, today I changed my oil and filter for the first time getting ready for next weekends desert dash dual sport ride just north of san diego.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.