* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4430 replies to this topic
  • gsa102

TT Silver Member

937 posts

Posted January 22, 2010 - 07:11 PM

I bought an 07 450 today (woo hoo) after test riding it! I am soo excited to get it home next week and get it muddy! I ordered radiator guards at the shop and they are going to install them for me before it take it home. Thumpertalk was invaluable in my research to select a bike. I was looking at a lot of different colors, but big blue has always been my favorite.

• resinlips

TT Silver Member

666 posts

Posted January 22, 2010 - 07:35 PM

I bought an 07 450 today (woo hoo) after test riding it! I am soo excited to get it home next week and get it muddy! I ordered radiator guards at the shop and they are going to install them for me before it take it home. Thumpertalk was invaluable in my research to select a bike. I was looking at a lot of different colors, but big blue has always been my favorite.

Congrats on the purchase. May I suggest tearing down the linkage and all swingarm pivot points for regreasing weather the bike is new or used. At the factory they put minimal grease for god knows what reason.
I let mine go too long and today when inspecting all of it I didnt like what I found. All new bearings, seals, spacers, and bolts, are needed.

Edited by resinlips, January 22, 2010 - 09:09 PM.

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted January 23, 2010 - 06:18 AM

The factory uses what some refer to as string cheese grease. Here is a good step by step to replace the cheese with real grease.

http://www.thumperta...hlight=bearings

Edited by byggd, January 23, 2010 - 06:39 AM.

• gsa102

TT Silver Member

937 posts

Posted January 24, 2010 - 01:46 PM

I sure will. Thanks for the inside info.

• swolf

TT Bronze Member

197 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 24, 2010 - 07:01 PM

I sure will. Thanks for the inside info.

Me too. I have learned alot here:thumbsup:

• gsa102

TT Silver Member

937 posts

Posted January 27, 2010 - 03:57 PM

I brought my "new" lightly used 07 WR 450 home today and took it for a ride. As I was riding, I was thinking, "where has this bike been all my life?" Now I know why you guys are all hooked.

I had them put on Moose radiator braces. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how. Not that you can see the braces anyway.

• swolf

TT Bronze Member

197 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 28, 2010 - 09:48 AM

installed Moose radiator braces and aluminum hand guards. and cleaned all the mud off from IMI.

• Paco Paez

TT Member

64 posts

Posted January 28, 2010 - 09:06 PM

Intalled the yamalink on my 09wr450 I'm still wating for works conection skid plate from chaparral let me down orderd plate on the 6th and I haven't got it talked to some supervisor and asked to send someone to werehose next door to get it for me and she seid they couldnt do that they were behind I'm pised.

• 1991cbr600f2

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted January 29, 2010 - 12:12 AM

Installed my black unabiker rad guards, added F&R brake light switches, and a handle bar headlight switch for high and low beam headlight, on my 07 wr450.

Other mods I did previously were JD jet kit, zip-ty fuel mixture screw, all free mods, billit insert w one 1/2 hole drilled in baffle behind insert, AIS delete, greased all rear suspension, need to do front steering head still, DOH!, :lol: , extra rear wheel with paddle tire mounted, top speed I got in sand w paddle tire was 78mph, that all she had, lol.

Thus I since added the 1/2 hole, currious to see if it any faster next dune trip.

Did I say how much I love this bike, :ride:.

next up will be a new skid plate.

• swolf

TT Bronze Member

197 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 29, 2010 - 09:05 AM

Got my 06 WR450F titled and plated today:banana::ride::banana:

• motodiver13

TT Member

78 posts

Posted January 30, 2010 - 03:12 PM

Destroyed stuff. See post: I am an IDIOT :ride:

Edited by motodiver13, January 30, 2010 - 03:15 PM.
didn't make sense

• stev0

TT Bronze Member

407 posts

Posted January 30, 2010 - 09:51 PM

Summmooooooo

Posted Image

• Paco Paez

TT Member

64 posts

Posted January 31, 2010 - 10:54 AM

Took pictures of my ready to ride 09 wr450 installed works conection skid plate last night PACO

• Paco Paez

TT Member

64 posts

Posted January 31, 2010 - 10:59 AM

Took pictures of my ready to ride 09 wr450 installed works conection skid plate last night PACO

sorry my picture didnt show paco.
picture in my profile

Edited by Paco Paez, January 31, 2010 - 11:04 AM.
picture in my profile

• headbolt

TT Newbie

20 posts

Posted January 31, 2010 - 07:11 PM

I installed a Z Start Pro Rekluse clutch on my 07 WR450, was extremly easy to install with great instuctions. Just putted around the shop have'nt put it to test yet, but seems ok so far. Will give full report when the snow melts here in New Mexico.

• Paco Paez

TT Member

64 posts

Posted February 01, 2010 - 08:09 PM

went for a ride to test my suspencion after instaling yamalink found out i have to bring my treaple clamps up some more front tire wants to stay glood to the ground will do it tomorrow and do some more testing

• comtnrider

TT Bronze Member

147 posts

Posted February 02, 2010 - 01:58 PM

Headbolt, I put the Rekluse Pro in my WR last spring and road with it all summer. You're going to love it! The nastier the trail, the more you are going to smile! :ride:

• headbolt

TT Newbie

20 posts

Posted February 03, 2010 - 06:07 PM

comtnrider, That's good to hear, can't wait to try it out fully when the snow stops flying here. We ride mostly tough single track in the mountains of NM, pretty nasty. You probably do the same in Colorado. Thanks for the reply Comtnrider! Full ride report coming soon.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

TT Titanium Member

2,664 posts

Posted February 04, 2010 - 08:21 AM

Pulled the wheels to replaced bearings/seals (Excel Pro Series Hub/Wheels)

Checked the valves for the 4th time @ 100 hrs....surprise surprise they have not moved :lol:

Changed out the original plug :ride:

• ws6transam

TT Member

33 posts

Posted February 05, 2010 - 05:52 AM

Well, it's not exactly a 450, more like a 501cc after rebore... but (!) It is a WR, one of only about a 1000 ever made. I hope you don't mind...

--

I painted my modified clutch cover last night. It's now Mercedes silver in color and matches the engine cases moderately well. I milled it open, then re-welded a new top onto it, thus extending it .250" outwards in order to clear the custom EFM Autoclutch, which Garry at EFM custom-CNCed for my WR500:

Posted Image

I haven't yet taken a picture of it, but the clutch cover, after TIG welding the magnesium, required a bit of work to make the welds nearly invisible. In fact, it's tough to tell that it's even been modified.

Here it is, as a two-piece, before welding:

Posted Image

Here's another shot that shows a closeup of the autoclutch basket, and the captive clutch plate. The clutch is normally disengaged, and then as RPM picks up, all those ball bearings get flung outwards down ramps by centrugal force, and that pushes the captive clutch plate into the clutch pack, engaging the clutch. It should help make that big Eric-Gorr ported 2-stroke a bit more tractable in the woods. The clutch fanning was killin' me in the tight stuff and I've climbed more than my share of trees. Plus, when you kill the motor with too much rear brake, it's a pain to kick over that 500 2t, especially when you are already panting from the labor of squeezing 36-inch wide handlebars through a 32-inch trail. The next mod is to tuck in the forks, pull the rear wheel forward as far as possible, then get me some hi-rise, shorty handlebars.

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

• Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.