What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4428 replies to this topic
  • MotoGoalie

TT Platinum Member

1,993 posts

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:00 PM

Galfer solid wave rotors, new EBC pads and Motul high temp fluid. :ride:

done to fix the problem i had last enduro of smoking my rear brakes and losing em half way into it.:)

also put on new Kenda Millvilles front and back.:lol:

All part of my stimulous plan to enrich asian countries :)

06wr450

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:33 PM

took it apart to check the valves... didn't need to be checked but i was bored... new plug and oil too

• jayh300

TT Platinum Member

1,861 posts

Posted September 02, 2009 - 05:34 AM

pulled the forks apart to do a reseal.... only to realize my 06 has 48mm forks and i don't have a driver that big..... so today I am scrambling for a driver so i can ride it for the first time this weekend.....

• Wrfrk

TT Addict

4,276 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 02, 2009 - 08:36 AM

Just got done installing my rebuilt suspension with Racetech springs and gold valves, had the valving done from a local suspension shop. Also just installed a JD jetting kit and a new Lexx Mxe exhaust slip on. Now it not only looks and sounds better, but it's got a noticable power increase as well. Tonight after work I'm installing a new Maxxis IT rear tire.
The bike is new to me and in next to new condition as it was used only a very small amount.

• Yamaha_James

TT Member

76 posts

Posted September 02, 2009 - 09:25 AM

I sat infront of the computer day dreaming about driving one because I won't be getting one this year, but hopefully next. The reason I'm infront of the computer and not riding is because i had a nasty spill that ended my riding season early :ride: :)

• fiedoc1

TT Member

53 posts

Posted September 02, 2009 - 09:58 AM

Asked the wife to send me a pic. Stuck on duty becuz of all the fires.

• RSAthump

TT Bronze Member

181 posts

Posted September 03, 2009 - 01:00 AM

new plastics White:)
Posted Image

• pismowr

TT Bronze Member

175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 03, 2009 - 01:55 PM

New EX. Hotcam came in the mail today I ordered last week , and a real good thing to because my decompresion cable broke this last ride . Good timing or what ?:ride: I have been planning for this conversion for a while now . Guess what Im doing tonight .

• pismowr

TT Bronze Member

175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 03, 2009 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

Good lookin machine there :ride:

• 2lcf

TT Bronze Member

109 posts

Posted September 03, 2009 - 03:35 PM

Asked the wife to send me a pic. Stuck on duty becuz of all the fires.

You and me both.........................finally get Saturday off.......

• JM450

TT Bronze Member

110 posts

Posted September 03, 2009 - 04:26 PM

Posted Image

Sweet looking bike. What do you have for frame guards?

• stev0

TT Bronze Member

407 posts

Posted September 03, 2009 - 09:57 PM

Those look like hyde guards... I sell em :ride:

• ch_250

TT Bronze Member

314 posts

Posted September 04, 2009 - 09:05 AM

New EX. Hotcam came in the mail today I ordered last week , and a real good thing to because my decompresion cable broke this last ride . Good timing or what ? I have been planning for this conversion for a while now . Guess what Im doing tonight .

my buddy had auto de-compression on his zy400f and at the beginning of the summer the detent ball came out, got stuck in his timing chain, broke it and left other shrapnel in the bottom of the engine too. starting it was a pain too. my bike has the stock cams and it starts first kick every time. i'm skeptical about putting those things in bikes that aren't made for them.

• ASternad

TT Silver Member

726 posts

Posted September 04, 2009 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image
What kind of hand guards are those? I don't see them listed on Cycra's product line.

• madroberts07

TT Member

84 posts

Posted September 05, 2009 - 07:04 PM

I insalled a boysen qwickshot 3 AP cover today, it made a big differance!:busted: I wish I woud have put one on sooner:worthy:

• rkwfxd1

TT Silver Member

751 posts

Posted September 06, 2009 - 03:58 PM

I found a piece of aluminum in my garage 2" wide by 1/8" thick and about three feet long. I cut a piece just over 2.3" long and then used the belt sander to get it right at 2.3" and make it pretty. I then cut a notch on one side that made that side 1.9" long and then gave the whole thing a soft sanded satin finish. When I adjust the chain I just set it up on the swingarm. The low side should slide right under the chain and the tall side should not.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 06, 2009 - 07:20 PM

I did a 39 mile street ride for grins.

• MotoGoalie

TT Platinum Member

1,993 posts

Posted September 07, 2009 - 12:56 PM

Here's a pic of the Galfer Wave rotor, solid.

Its a big pic so Ill just link it.....

http://img.photobuck...ferrotor001.jpg

i have new rotors front and back and they are honest to God much stronger than the stock WR rotors, which Ive bent. They seem thicker to but I didnt Mic them. Im using EBC comps as pads and motul high temp fluid.

thats also a Kenda Millville. I like it so far. Its wearing pretty fast but it has great hook up in the sand and mud, does ok on rocks as well. little skatey on hardpack and gravel - but then what isnt.

• rkwfxd1

TT Silver Member

751 posts

Posted September 07, 2009 - 07:03 PM

Sorry, kind of long but here is why I ask...

I have an 09. I ride So Cal desert from 0 to 4,000 feet. I rode it once in completely stock form to break it in. I loved the way the bike ran except I desperately wanted full throttle and it was over heating. I could hear the radiator boiling and my over flow tank was half full.

I went home and purchased the Yamaha AIS removal kit. I installed all of the jets from that kit, removed air box snorkels, removed pea shooter from exhaust, disconnected gray wire. I have ridden it a couple of times with this set up. It does not over heat at all. The radiator does not boil and my over flow tank stays at about 1/4 full all day long.

Dirt Rider did their comparison test and only used the throttle stop, no pea shooter, and no gray wire and they talked about how great the stock jetting was. They did not mention over heating. Their article got me to second guessing myself.

So, am I running cooler now due to the richer jetting or to the freer breathing? And...if I was happy with the way it ran before, should I have left the stock jetting or would it still be overheating?

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 07, 2009 - 09:05 PM

Sorry, kind of long but here is why I ask...

I have an 09. I ride So Cal desert from 0 to 4,000 feet. I rode it once in completely stock form to break it in. I loved the way the bike ran except I desperately wanted full throttle and it was over heating. I could hear the radiator boiling and my over flow tank was half full.

I went home and purchased the Yamaha AIS removal kit. I installed all of the jets from that kit, removed air box snorkels, removed pea shooter from exhaust, disconnected gray wire. I have ridden it a couple of times with this set up. It does not over heat at all. The radiator does not boil and my over flow tank stays at about 1/4 full all day long.

Dirt Rider did their comparison test and only used the throttle stop, no pea shooter, and no gray wire and they talked about how great the stock jetting was. They did not mention over heating. Their article got me to second guessing myself.

So, am I running cooler now due to the richer jetting or to the freer breathing? And...if I was happy with the way it ran before, should I have left the stock jetting or would it still be overheating?

Why are you second guessing, that's my question. Richer jetting requires freer breathing . You can't add one without the other. You must not have ridden it much since you uncorked it to say you liked it before. Not possible!
Stock jetting means overheating. Cutting open your air box only, would make it even leaner, and even hotter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

• 7 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.