* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4430 replies to this topic
  • CanadianWR450

TT Bronze Member

374 posts

Posted March 27, 2009 - 10:29 AM

Top end rebuild time.....got the top end apart, poked around to see what was needed...my cam chain was WHIPPED! So bad it scored the cam sprockets...I probably could have gotten away with them (the lobes, etc was perfect), but, well, good exuse for Hot Cams.

So, 2 brand new Hot cam's, FMF PowerCore, rings, cam chain, adjustable fuel screw, new Race Tech back spring with the correct rate for me...gaskets, seals, valve guides...etc..etc....

Now just got to get it back together....I'm expecting a big difference in the bike with the powercore, and cam's....if not, I'll be quite disappointed!

• SPLATT

TT Gold Member

1,056 posts

Posted March 27, 2009 - 04:39 PM

I finally got around to washing it seeing that I didn't have a chance to do it when I got home after my last ride. Now to do an oil change and do the o-ring mod on the carb.

Steve

• ch_250

TT Bronze Member

314 posts

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:05 PM

I also routered out the cross bar pad and inlaid my vapor speedo/tach/temp gauge ect. into it.

That's awesome. That looks sweet. i wonder what would happen though if you smoked your face off the pad where the speedo is now. I've done it before, that would be my only worry.

• flynz

TT Member

67 posts

Posted March 28, 2009 - 04:44 AM

Checked the valves after 800 miles 1 was a little tight so I adjusted it :thumbsup: and put my summer needle in.
Now I'll ride it hard all weekend.:lol: :usa:

• sdg8569

TT Member

29 posts

Posted March 28, 2009 - 11:01 AM

ch250 Its a supermoto bike so my face hitting the crossbar is the least of my worries.:thumbsup: LOL

• kikkokrash

TT Member

55 posts

Posted March 28, 2009 - 12:54 PM

As some of you might know, the WR450F MY2003 had quite a big problem on the Electric Starter, this was solved out in the MY 2004.

I wanted to do the upgrade of the Electric Starter but it would cost to me approx $300 of spareparts (plus shipment expenses, plus my mechanic manpower), then I have decided to save some money and changed only the Electric Starter broken.

In Italy an OEM Electric Starter costs approx $400, so I have adapted a brand new Kimko 150cc scooter Electric Starter (actually my mechanic did) for approx $50, and intalled in my WR.

It works perfectly, better than the original!!!

• ch_250

TT Bronze Member

314 posts

Posted March 28, 2009 - 08:01 PM

sdg8569: although i've seen supermoto guys do some pretty fair sized jumps, you're right it's probly the least of your worries. That would be MY main worry though. I think i might take the risk though, it looks awesome. does handlebar vibration bother it any?

• sdg8569

TT Member

29 posts

Posted March 29, 2009 - 05:55 AM

CH250 No it seem that the foam in the cross bar pad dampens the vibration so its not a problem. It actualy make it easier to read the gauges due to the extra rise.

• fbodysilly

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted March 29, 2009 - 06:38 AM

As some of you might know, the WR450F MY2003 had quite a big problem on the Electric Starter, this was solved out in the MY 2004.

I wanted to do the upgrade of the Electric Starter but it would cost to me approx $300 of spareparts (plus shipment expenses, plus my mechanic manpower), then I have decided to save some money and changed only the Electric Starter broken.

In Italy an OEM Electric Starter costs approx $400, so I have adapted a brand new Kimko 150cc scooter Electric Starter (actually my mechanic did) for approx $50, and intalled in my WR.

It works perfectly, better than the original!!!

Viva Italia!

• silky666

TT Member

38 posts

Posted March 29, 2009 - 02:02 PM

My trusty old '99 WR400.
Installed alloy sump guard.
Fitted some comp3 tyres.
Changed all oil and filters.
Fitted a wavey disc and new pads.
Put on some new graphics (the old original yellow ones were starting to look a little ropey :-)

Posted Image

• trailman006

TT Bronze Member

254 posts

Posted March 29, 2009 - 02:19 PM

Received my ThumperTalk order on friday,Thanks Nick.Installed Eibach .50kg fork spring and Seal Savers on saturday and rode 30+ miles of single track in the rain and mud on sunday with friends and family. Life is good.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

TT Titanium Member

2,664 posts

Posted March 29, 2009 - 06:18 PM

Life is good.

+1 :thumbsup:

• Paollo

TT Member

68 posts

Posted March 29, 2009 - 10:59 PM

rode her on a blast in the road with some of my ride buddies

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• sdg8569

TT Member

29 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 01:58 PM

What is the p/n of those graphics? I need a set.

My trusty old '99 WR400.
Installed alloy sump guard.
Fitted some comp3 tyres.
Changed all oil and filters.
Fitted a wavey disc and new pads.
Put on some new graphics (the old original yellow ones were starting to look a little ropey :-)

Posted Image

• ARyder

TT Bronze Member

113 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 02:37 PM

First ride with my ProAction Suspension done. Took my son out for a ride since he insisted on going out. It had rained quite a bit and he wanted to go splash his 50 thru the water. He wasn't lying either! He hit some water that went up the the seat. I couldn't have been a more proud dad :-)

The suspension on the WR is awesome. All the little stuff I dont' even feel anymore and I can actually get airtime now without bottoming. I hit my favorite whoops section and really felt the difference there.

On the down side, the suspension cleared the way for me to see the shortcommings of the WR all choked up. In 3-5 gear, the bike falls flat on it's face in the midrange and won't pull hard at all. I dragraced a YZF450 quad and he beat me. Time to uncork this thing to take full advantage of my suspension. Been looking on ebay for a yz450 stock exhaust or a PMB insert..no luck so far.

• JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 02:59 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

There ya go ARrider! Your welcome

• ARyder

TT Bronze Member

113 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 03:21 PM

Thank you ! One question though, do I need to still get the PMB insert with this or is the OEM YZ450F just as good, or better than putting the PMB insert into my WR pipe?

• JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:04 PM

Thank you ! One question though, do I need to still get the PMB insert with this or is the OEM YZ450F just as good, or better than putting the PMB insert into my WR pipe?

OK the PMB insert (bigger baffle) is for the stock pipe to free up some flow. It does add performance but probably only about 1/3 the HP that a free flowing muffler will add. http://www.promotobi...cdedc12bee3d8e2

With the YZ exhaust you'll need some type of spark arrestor if you intend to ride on public land or on private property in densly wooded areas. Its not so much that these engines spark or belch out fire (unless its jetted super rich), but even hot debris or muffler packing flying out of a muffler can start a fire. PMB makes it easy by making a rivet in spark arrestor for the YZ exhaust.
http://www.promotobi...cdedc12bee3d8e2

Another option you have is to buy a replacement cone spark arrestor (usually $20-$50) from another brand of muffler and rig it into the stock YZ muffler. These will be USFS approved however the burden of proof will be on you to prove that it is. Usually a ranger out in the field will do a "stick test" to make sure the stick won't go through the spark arrestor.

• ARyder

TT Bronze Member

113 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the input. I've never been checked for a spark arrestor here and I don't ride on public lands. I can always get a spark arrestor later on.
Now onto the AIS removal kit, free mods and JD jet kit. :-)

• buspilot

TT Newbie

19 posts

Posted March 31, 2009 - 12:45 AM

On Sunday my WR 450 and I rode a "Ballade" (Offroad-Ride) in Belgium...
4 Hours for 77 KM... :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Two weeks ago...
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

• Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.