* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4429 replies to this topic
  • tweav

TT Gold Member

1,123 posts

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:11 PM

What's the blue thing "button?" by your left grip?

As for what I did to my wr that's a really basic one . I kick started it , because I left the key on the last time I rode it . It took only 3 stabs to get it to start. I was kind of surprised because the battery was stone dead. I put it on the battery tender when I got home work tonight.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

TT Titanium Member

2,664 posts

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:42 PM

i believe that is his PTT (push to talk) button that he hocks up to his helmet and radio! Ken am i right?

• foxomatica

TT Member

72 posts

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:43 PM

Re packed the wheel and steering head bearings with Bell Ray waterproof grease. Dismantled the swing arm and linkage replaced all the bushings, bearings and seals that where rusted and crap. Re packed them with the Bell Ray. I suggest that every one check out your linkage because I left it too long and really had to pay. Total on replacement parts with my good guy discount was $300.00 can... ouch! Changed the oil and did the air filter and the BEST mod... took my old Unabiker rad guards, which were useless, and made them into a license plate holder. She is plated and I can't wait!!

Fox

• KennyMc

Get Help Now

15,715 posts

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:47 PM

As for what I did to my wr that's a really basic one . I kick started it , because I left the key on the last time I rode it . It took only 3 stabs to get it to start. I was kind of surprised because the battery was stone dead. I put it on the battery tender when I got home work tonight.

That is the push-to-talk button for my Sampson Racing radio. The blue thingy by the left fork tube connects to a stretch cable from the radio in my Ogio vest.

• KennyMc

Get Help Now

15,715 posts

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:49 PM

i believe that is his PTT (push to talk) button that he hocks up to his helmet and radio! Ken am i right?

Aaron = :lame:

• tweav

TT Gold Member

1,123 posts

Posted October 04, 2008 - 12:00 AM

Is that like a earplug type earpiece on your radio ? to block noise and to talk. I know I wear earplugs all the time while I ride . They have earplug/earpieces at my work so they can talk to each other back at the corrigator.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

TT Titanium Member

2,664 posts

Posted October 04, 2008 - 06:40 AM

no, the radio ken uses as well as my self are "race" radios...they have a helicopter boom mic that has noise canceling technology in them so the person receiving hears only the person talking. as for the ear set up they are almost like head phone status in that they are loud and clear. the radio's we use are vhf radios. this entire set up is what team honda uses in the score baja series.

ken uses a pre-programed radio were as i use a on the fly program-able radio (vx170) but none the less they are both vhf.

if you want more info do a search under the user name johnnyairtime in the baja section...tons of info there.

http://www.thumperta...854#post4435854

• KennyMc

Get Help Now

15,715 posts

Posted October 04, 2008 - 10:44 AM

no, the radio ken uses as well as my self are "race" radios...they have a helicopter boom mic that has noise canceling technology in them so the person receiving hears only the person talking. as for the ear set up they are almost like head phone status in that they are loud and clear. the radio's we use are vhf radios. this entire set up is what team honda uses in the score baja series.

ken uses a pre-programed radio were as i use a on the fly program-able radio (vx170) but none the less they are both vhf.

if you want more info do a search under the user name johnnyairtime in the baja section...tons of info there.

Yeah, this is the one I went with. Shawn Sampson is a guy I go riding with and is very helpful.

http://www.sampsonra...fety_home_f.htm

• SXP

TT Titanium Member

2,000 posts

Posted October 04, 2008 - 11:15 AM

I've got the same VX170 setup. Got it the first time I did a JAT ride down in Mexico. Work great, but are expensive. I've got a setup for myself and my son. The full setup (radio+ headset) is about $350.

• tweav

TT Gold Member

1,123 posts

Posted October 04, 2008 - 03:05 PM

I would be nice not having to yell , all the time just to talk.

• STECKNINE

TT Bronze Member

338 posts

Posted October 05, 2008 - 09:06 PM

Had a great ride with the bro in the woods! I just installed Iron man sprockets a, gold O ring, new graphics and, numbers, and Fast Way pegs! This bike RIPS and, I just got 4th OA at our last MRANN race. Praise the WR..:lame: Posted Image

• jp72chevy

TT Newbie

1 posts

Posted October 07, 2008 - 01:02 PM

I drove 250 miles one way to buy mine. I got a 05 WR450 with a stuck float needle for $1800. Took about an hour to fix and it runs great. Mostly stock except for the normal mods, a skid plate and a yz exhaust. Can't wait to ride it. Jp

• ebutner

TT Member

27 posts

Posted October 07, 2008 - 01:14 PM

I drove 250 miles one way to buy mine. I got a 05 WR450 with a stuck float needle for $1800. Took about an hour to fix and it runs great. Mostly stock except for the normal mods, a skid plate and a yz exhaust. Can't wait to ride it. Jp

Man, I never get those deals... I have a 05 WR450 and neeed a WR250 for my son. Good job finding that deal. Love mine!

• Guyver

TT Member

92 posts

Posted October 07, 2008 - 03:41 PM

Man I love this place! I can't believe I waited so long to join up! I took off all the plastic (gonna try Krylon fusion) installed new radiator shrouds and polished some parts. I'm too new to post pics, but check this out.

Here's what I call being fortunate. I tell my wife I need to buy some new gear for my bike and a few days out this month to go riding. She's all.....no problem honey have a good time! I'll let you know who wins the football games. My life does not suck right now.

• JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted October 07, 2008 - 08:13 PM

I played with the clickers

Then I started it. 3 kicks after about month of sitting. Time to put the fuel screw to the cold weather setting :lame:

• tribalbc

TT Addict

4,971 posts

Posted October 08, 2008 - 06:20 AM

Left YZ peg mount- since I've had the kickstand off since day 1 anyways. Aways lots of trees to lean your bike on in BC :eek:

GYTR thumb hot start lever. Now makes estarting on the fly even easier :lame:
It's a high priced hot start being GYTR :bonk:
But at least the fit is perfect.

That and getting lots of riding in, we only have about a month to go before the snow :lol:

• kbike

TT Member

34 posts

Posted October 08, 2008 - 08:05 AM

After hearing all the problems with the linkage I thought I'd better check out my 04 WR450F. When I bought it this summer the owner claimed it only had 370 miles. You never know until you check. No rust or water, a little grease, so it wasn't as bad as I expected. I cleaned everything and re-lubed with Honda Moly Paste 60. Here are some pictures.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• YamaLink

TT Addict

4,039 posts

Posted October 09, 2008 - 09:09 AM

Screaming deal! That's hundreds upon hundreds less than what's in our local classifieds.
I usually find the bike has been sold on me or my friend as we're making the long drive. I bet you were haulin' azz for those 250 miles!

• timoyz1

TT Platinum Member

1,834 posts

Posted October 09, 2008 - 09:27 AM

Split the cases. Damn shift fork:foul: .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• soco3594

TT Bronze Member

216 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 09, 2008 - 03:13 PM

Installed a new arrow exhaust on my WR426. Very impressed with the power increase and the sound (although it is quite loud. Not that it bothers me, just the neighbours). Got new plastics and electrics on the way to get ready for rego

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

98 WR 400 Project by Justin Steele

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

• Hot  55 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.