2,298 posts

Posted May 15, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Installed HotCams and took it out for a shake down run! :thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Get Help Now

6,822 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:34 PM

Switched back to a trials tire. Went from Maxxis desert IT to a Dunlop 803 rear trials.

traction, traction, traction...

• Frostbite

TT Platinum Member

1,609 posts

Posted May 18, 2008 - 06:58 PM

Trashed my rear tire climbing a very rocky hill (snow's almost gone), a couple of slashes and a couple of knobs missing.

It took me 3 hours to climb 2200 feet, and then 30 minutes to get down, and amazingly enough, the tire didn't go flat until after I got home.

Today's ride is in my top 10 nastiest rides ever.:thumbsup:

I'm still downloading the HC footage, but here's a few short clips from the 1st tape.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Charles De Mar

TT Gold Member

1,445 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 08:08 AM

Frosty your an effin nut!

• martin450

TT Member

39 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 10:54 AM

Respect as always Frostbite , cool vids , Thanks for sharing that with us :thumbsup:
I went into some lovely south England countryside for a ride today :rolleyes:

Posted Image

• TWILES

TT Gold Member

1,354 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 11:35 AM

It was Saturday but I finally broke down and bought a pipe. It was a stock 2005 YZ muffler so I didn't exactly go overboard. I bought some Sunoco 110 gas, changed some stuff in the carb and FINALLY got it running right/taking the gas like a 2stroke. From half throttle, I can nail it in 4th and it will either spin or stand up. Two thumbs up!:thumbsup: :rolleyes:

• Frostbite

TT Platinum Member

1,609 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:15 PM

Frosty your an effin nut!

Maybe now folks will understand why I like riding in the snow, this is what my summer riding is like. Haha.

I'm going to post a proper video later, but for now I've slammed a couple of quick clips together. Here's one from the 2nd tape, which would've had a great shot of the summit if the battery hadn't died in the last 5 minutes of the run.

It's amazing how "not steep" the hills look in the video. To give you an idea of the grade, in the part where I start sliding backwards - I have the front brake locked the entire time and the rear brake was locked until I lost my balance and had to put my right foot down. Yes, there was some snow, but it was still d@mn steep.

Just to my right was about a 100 foot drop down to the river, probably a 70 degree grade, that I didn't want to go over, especially backwards. When I had reached my comfort level of sliding backwards without being able to see where I was going, I cut the bars and laid the bike down. I still had a few feet to go before I went over the edge.

I don't know if this link will work, but give it a shot. Vids upload 400 times faster to Facebook than YouTube.

http://www.facebook....420109015

• Charles De Mar

TT Gold Member

1,445 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:20 PM

Maybe now folks will understand why I like riding in the snow, this is what my summer riding is like. Haha.

I'm going to post a proper video later, but for now I've slammed a couple of quick clips together. Here's one from the 2nd tape, which would've had a great shot of the summit if the battery hadn't died in the last 5 minutes of the run.

It's amazing how "not steep" the hills look in the video. To give you an idea of the grade, in the part where I start sliding backwards - I have the front brake locked the entire time and the rear brake was locked until I lost my balance and had to put my right foot down. Yes, there was some snow, but it was still d@mn steep.

Just to my right was about a 100 foot drop down to the river, probably a 70 degree grade, that I didn't want to go over, especially backwards. When I had reached my comfort level of sliding backwards without being able to see where I was going, I cut the bars and laid the bike down. I still had a few feet to go before I went over the edge.

I don't know if this link will work, but give it a shot. Vids upload 400 times faster to Facebook than YouTube.

No linkey work for non facebook dudes!

• MountainMax

TT Platinum Member

1,552 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:35 PM

it's a good excuse to joine up Charles, and Frostbite, i just added you as a friend :thumbsup:

• Frostbite

TT Platinum Member

1,609 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:38 PM

Crap. I'll post it on YouTube, but it usually takes a few hours to upload a few minutes.

• Charles De Mar

TT Gold Member

1,445 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:43 PM

it's a good excuse to joine up Charles, and Frostbite, i just added you as a friend :thumbsup:

Shit this is getting to be like a grocery store savings cards. First it's my space, then it's facebook, then photobucket where does it end:crazy:

• Frostbite

TT Platinum Member

1,609 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:54 PM

Wow, no more hiding behind made up forum names, now you're going to see the real me. Haha.

• Frostbite

TT Platinum Member

1,609 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 02:13 PM

Here's the YouTube link.

Frosty

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hell of a ride Frosty! :thumbsup: Do you have a rekluse on that thing?

• Frostbite

TT Platinum Member

1,609 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 02:52 PM

Hell of a ride Frosty! :thumbsup: Do you have a rekluse on that thing?

No, but I was wondering if some of those gadgets would be helpful. Not pumping the clutch all day would be nice, but when you have to launch the front in the air from a dead stop to clear an obstacle, can you do it?

I also thought about a steering damper. Bouncing through the rocks is quite a workout, and a steering damper would help prevent the bars from getting pulled out of my hands, but then I wondered if it would slow down the steering too much for a quick recovery at low speeds, when you have to snap the bars fast. I used a steering damper on my roadrace bike, but once you’re moving you don’t really turn the bars, you just put pressure on them.

Yesterday I discovered a very bad thing about the auto decomp (this is my first bike with it). I got caught halfway up a steep section and had to turn around and was forced onto a bad line. I had to stop and lower the bike over a drop at a rocky shelf. It was so steep that the front brake alone wasn’t cutting it, but I was beside the bike so I couldn’t work the rear brake. I did what I used to do on my 400 – I killed the engine (with the kill button, not the on off) clicked it in 1st gear, and used the clutch for the rear brake. Boy, did I get a surprise. I had the clutch in, front brake on, bike started to get away from me, so I let the clutch out to lock the rear – and the fr!gg!n engine fired and took off, dragging me for a second before I could grab the clutch. The 400 would never jumpstart in 1st at 1MPH, but the auto decomp let the 450 start.

From now on I’ll shut the ignition off for clutch braking.:rolleyes:

• 2lcf

TT Bronze Member

109 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 05:42 PM

Frosty..........or Tim..........you should leave that crap for the billy goats up there............I went for a 40+ mile ride today and had a blast.....all by my lonesome....I know, not the safest thing to do, but my wife knew where not to send the rescue teams incase I did not come home......the seat cover made it here and thanks for the little gift.....was that hand made by you or the natives.......just thought you might have another talent we did not know about.......thanks again for the gripper seat cover.........ride safe.....Jeff:ride: :thumbsup:

• MountainMax

TT Platinum Member

1,552 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 05:59 PM

Yeah, we all know your name now, lol. and i think facebook is a kewl ap, it allows you to keep in touch with people without remembering/saving their email addresses, which also change quite often. and myspace is old news, lol.

• YamaLink

TT Addict

4,040 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 06:07 PM

I placed an order for the Off Road version of http://www.tireballs...motorcycle.html

Thing is, I've never had a flat in my life (knock on wood).

• Frostbite

TT Platinum Member

1,609 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 06:54 PM

Frosty..........or Tim..........you should leave that crap for the billy goats up there............I went for a 40+ mile ride today and had a blast.....all by my lonesome....I know, not the safest thing to do, but my wife knew where "not" to send the rescue teams in case I did not come home......the seat cover made it here and thanks for the little gift.....was that hand made by you or the natives.......just thought you might have another talent we did not know about.......thanks again for the gripper seat cover.........ride safe.....Jeff:ride: :rolleyes:

Haha, my needle point is limited to sewing plastic body panels back together with lock wire. That wall hanging is genuine Inuit art, hand stitched by a tiny elderly Eskimo lady. The Inuit are very artistic and they’re always knocking at my door selling something they’ve made, so I thought I'd send a little northern souvenir along with the seat cover, and you're very welcome for both.

40 miles is a nice ride. This evening I went for my first “not by my lonesome” ride in a long, long time. The fella I brought the other 450 up for stopped by last night. He heard that I went up the mountain and wanted to do some off roading, so we made plans for today after work. We hooked up around 7, and ran into 2 kids with CRF 230’s, one only a week old. We brought them along too, and it was great to have the company. Even though tall 3 of them hadn’t ridden off road much, they did amazingly well. The fact that they’ve been doing insane things on snowmobiles since they could walk probably helped. I finally have some riding buddies.:thumbsup:

Yeah, we all know your name now, lol. and i think facebook is a kewl ap, it allows you to keep in touch with people without remembering/saving their email addresses, which also change quite often. and myspace is old news, lol.

I didn’t want to get into Facebook at first, but a few friends kept bugging me and now I think it’s a great idea. Now instead of emailing pictures to everybody or wondering what everyone’s up to, I just pop on and know right away. It’s a great way to keep current, and to get in touch with long lost friends.:rolleyes:

• tunefx

TT Member

72 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 - 08:26 PM

Frostbite, great video! You've redefined offroad! I had no idea where Nunavut was so I looked it up. Wow. I knew you were up north--but you are really north! :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing the video with us. Let's see, we have the Baja and Dakar--how about a Nunavit 500! During the summer of course. :thumbsup:

I rode 30 miles yesterday down some fireroads and trails in the little mountains in one of our national forests. After your video I feel like a wimp! :crazy:

Be safe! :rolleyes:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.