What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4428 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Get Help Now

15,698 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 06:06 AM

KennyMc,
Just one big problem, that isn't spangler's sand girls I mean womans hills. :facepalm:
You want some big apples :jawdrop: I know just where to find them as soon as the weather cools down. :thumbsup:

My Kennedy Meadows bike is a little girls learners bike. She'll do anything in Kennedy :devil:
BBRwoods_zpse4e47e05.png

:facepalm: to spend a day riding an XR80 in KM rather than my KTM 350, I'd slit my wrists. Sure, with that seat height you could make it up anything, could always put it in your camelbak if need be and shoulder it. I ride for my own specific reasons and that ain't it.

And no, the Royal Flush isn't in the Sand Hills, but it's in the loop we always do when we ride out there. Got to throw in the rocks with the hillclimbs. One dimensional riding gets mundane :devil:

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 08, 2014 - 06:25 AM

:facepalm: to spend a day riding an XR80 in KM rather than my KTM 350, I'd slit my wrists. Sure, with that seat height you could make it up anything, could always put it in your camelbak if need be and shoulder it. I ride for my own specific reasons and that ain't it.

And no, the Royal Flush isn't in the Sand Hills, but it's in the loop we always do when we ride out there. Got to throw in the rocks with the hillclimbs. One dimensional riding gets mundane :devil:

Well yeah, it's really an XR80 sticker-ed BBR framed CRF230-250cc  in any case it's my pit bike  :ride:  and loads of fun in Kennedy Meadows. Forth of July I didn't even bring out the WR.

Come on out to Jawbone we can find some hilly rocks. Plenty of tough hills and trails even without any rocks :thumbsup:

Got a few other areas that wont bore you :naughty: guaranteed. But gotta wait till it get's cooler for sure.

• KennyMc

Get Help Now

15,698 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Well yeah, it's really an XR80 sticker-ed BBR framed CRF230-250cc  in any case it's my pit bike  :ride:  and loads of fun in Kennedy Meadows. Forth of July I didn't even bring out the WR.

Come on out to Jawbone we can find some hilly rocks. Plenty of tough hills and trails even without any rocks :thumbsup:

Got a few other areas that wont bore you :naughty: guaranteed. But gotta wait till it get's cooler for sure.

Cool. :thumbsup:   I just sold my son's '09 150F.  He rode it all of like 5 times so it was practically new.  Bought it in '11.  Someone said I should keep it and turn it into a woods riding bike.  Just not for me.

I just got my 350EXC so I am still dialing it in and trying to figure out the best settings.  So far I have only had it in high Sierra's, so it is geared accordingly.  The WR cry's evertime I leave, jealousy doesn't suit it :smirk:

• RockerYZWR
1,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 08, 2014 - 08:10 AM

Cool. :thumbsup: I just sold my son's '09 150F. He rode it all of like 5 times so it was practically new. Bought it in '11. Someone said I should keep it and turn it into a woods riding bike. Just not for me.

I just got my 350EXC so I am still dialing it in and trying to figure out the best settings. So far I have only had it in high Sierra's, so it is geared accordingly. The WR cry's evertime I leave, jealousy doesn't suit it :smirk:

When I take my YZ out, my WR glares at at me with a knowing smirk saying "oh you'll be back." The YZ is lighter, cheaper, and handles a lot better, but somehow, I know the WR is right. It's a very contentious atmosphere in my garage right now.

• KennyMc

Get Help Now

15,698 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 08:14 AM

When I take my YZ out, my WR glares at at me with a knowing smirk saying "oh you'll be back." The YZ is lighter, cheaper, and handles a lot better, but somehow, I know the WR is right. It's a very contentious atmosphere in my garage right now.

My VTX1800 is covered up so I have no idea what is going on under there :devil:   Out of sight, out of mind.....prolly will end of selling it, just can't bring myself to telling her.. :cry:  :cry: that won't be pretty

• RockerYZWR
1,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 08, 2014 - 08:32 AM

My VTX1800 is covered up so I have no idea what is going on under there :devil: Out of sight, out of mind.....prolly will end of selling it, just can't bring myself to telling her.. :cry: :cry: that won't be pretty

Yeah, well...she'll eventually get over it. Let 'er down easy. And then get the hell out of there!

• benhayward10

TT Member

67 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 08, 2014 - 04:26 PM

I bought my first yamaha. 99 wr400 in almost new condition. Does that count?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1407543989284.jpg

• revelc

TT Bronze Member

319 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 04:57 AM

I broke my new bike in hard to seat the rings proper.

It wasn't unloaded for 15 minutes before the snorkel and peashooter were removed. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407589022.368116.jpg

I'm waiting for my CYCRA hand guards, MSR rad guards, FMF Q4, GYTR Tuner and ECU, as well as a new seat for my fat ass to sit on.

2014 WRR lots of mods R.I.Pieces
2012 WR450F in the process of modding

• revelc

TT Bronze Member

319 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 02:03 PM

I smashed my left radiator on the bikes second ride. I tipped over in a mud hole it fell on a rut. Oi!

Too bad those radiator guards I ordered haven't come in yet :(

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407708019.581219.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407708042.064286.jpg

Edited by revelc, August 10, 2014 - 02:04 PM.

• LucasLeader

TT Member

41 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:43 PM

Went on a 240 mile dual sport loop from the Mendocino Forest to the coast and back.

mp_Summer_Dual_Sport_Trip.jpg

Edited by LucasLeader, August 11, 2014 - 02:44 PM.

• W R and MidlifeCrisisGuy like this
  • Like This

• cubera
10,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 11, 2014 - 06:14 PM

I tipped it over in a rocky wash and poked a hole in the clutch cover with the brake lever. A tiny hole. Made it back just fine. So now I have an excuse to order a bling part. I've got a brand new GYTR billet clutch cover en route!

• revelc

TT Bronze Member

319 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 07:08 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407812675.065846.jpg
I added the GYTR race ECU and the short throttle stop to my bike.
Holy crap what a difference it made.
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407812758.416189.jpg
Wheelies in third gear with stock sprockets.

• RHeritage

TT Newbie

19 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:03 AM

Just got back from a 10 day trip to Colorado, bike was trailered out there by the CADS group in Jacksonville. We setup base camp Near Monarch Pass and rode every day, what a beautiful place to ride. Overall the bike did very well, a few minor issues, overheated a few times in tough steep single track, minor oil leak out of the clutch actuating lever vertical shaft, new seal required and replaced front sprocket.

Much different terrain than here in the Southeast and I finally got schooled on how to handle constant rock trails both embedded and loose, no worries next time.

I guess no pics since it's too much trouble on here.

Rich,

Savannah, GA

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Rich,

Savannah, GA

Too much trouble?? Just pop a few on a site like photobucket and through them up here. As we all know .... pictures or it didnt happen.

• revelc

TT Bronze Member

319 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 03:37 PM

Rich,
Savannah, GA

Too much trouble?? Just pop a few on a site like photobucket and through them up here. As we all know .... pictures or it didnt happen.

The iPhone app makes uploading them a cinch too. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407886652.714838.jpg

• RHeritage

TT Newbie

19 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 04:09 AM

Ok, just installed the Thumpertalk app on my phone, let's see if I can upload some pics from my Colorado trip.

Technology, looks like it worked.

Rich

Attached Thumbnails

• 1407931347004.jpg
  • 1407931457067.jpg
  • 1407931561996.jpg
  • 1407931675939.jpg

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 09:32 AM

I smashed my left radiator on the bikes second ride. I tipped over in a mud hole it fell on a rut. Oi!

Too bad those radiator guards I ordered haven't come in yet :(

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407708019.581219.jpg
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407708042.064286.jpg

I think everyone has had this happen.  Mine is smashed in the same way.  I am going to relocate my coil, probably to the right side of the engine.  I looked into replacing the coil with the one from the pre 2012 bikes, built into the spark plug connector, but its electrically incompatible.

I wonder if one could lengthen the spark plug lead ?   I wonder how much electrical interference the coil generates and how far it needs to be from the ECM and other wiring ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, August 13, 2014 - 09:41 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 09:42 AM

Went on a 240 mile dual sport loop from the Mendocino Forest to the coast and back.

mp_Summer_Dual_Sport_Trip.jpg

Tell us more.  Looks like a great ride.   Does the bike need to be street legal ?  How much fuel do you need to carry on the bike ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, August 13, 2014 - 09:43 AM.

• LucasLeader

TT Member

41 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 12:37 PM

Tell us more.  Looks like a great ride.   Does the bike need to be street legal ?  How much fuel do you need to carry on the bike ?

A friend and I met Friday night at Middle Creek campground just north of Clear Lake. We left early Saturday morning and met up with the Sheet Iron 300 route through mostly forest/county roads out to Ft. Bragg on the coast. Followed the PCH south to the 128 and found a place to camp. Took the 128 East to Boonville Sunday morning and stopped for breakfast, then took the 253 to Ukiah. Went out to Cow Mountain to see if we wanted to stop there and camp and ride some trails. It was a little too hot and treeless so we decided to ride through and go back to Middle Creek. A lot of the stuff we were on required a street legal bike. We both have the same 4 gallon tanks and only went through a little over 4 gallons. There were plenty of stops within about 60 miles but we stopped twice at about 85 and 110 miles. I was surprised how well the bikes did on gas. I usually get about 35mpg on single track and got around 55mpg on this trip. 

• MANIAC998
4,938 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 15, 2014 - 03:28 AM

Ok, just installed the Thumpertalk app on my phone, let's see if I can upload some pics from my Colorado trip.

Technology, looks like it worked.

Rich

Now your talkin'!!! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  53 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.