* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4429 replies to this topic
  • RockerYZWR
1,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Today I installed an FMF Megabomb and Q4 on my bike and also cut some custom graphics out of extras from my graphics kit that I couldn't use and spruced up my headlight housing a little to match the rest of the bike. It came out looking pretty decent; I'll upload some pics tomorrow. The pipe sounds awesome and I would not want it any louder - I'd say it's just right - a bit louder than stock with GYTR insert, and you get that good 4 stroke "crack" when you blip the throttle. I didn't get a real ride with it yet, but did race up and down the street a couple of times and the difference in power and quicker rev is pretty noticeable. I'm definitely happy with it.

I also cleaned my air filter and cleaned/lubed the chain, but that stuff isn't quite as cool as a pipe and graphics.

Next up for the bike is a set of Fasst Flexx bars.

• revyrider

TT Member

96 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:19 PM

Rode it In untracked powder. 

IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0074.JPG

• Snowhawkaddict and n16ht5 like this
  • Like This

• woods-rider

TT Addict

3,005 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Put on the new Dunlop AT81 rear tire. Ran it a 4 psi with my TuBliss system and it worked GREAT today. Rode everything from tight twisty first gear single track up and down some real steep stuff to wide open rocky truck trails to quad trails with nice berms built up. Man, I love new tires! Only time will tell if it will resist punctures as well as the old D739 AT.

• RockerYZWR
1,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Here are a few pictures from putting the pipe on and making some number plate graphics yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1389059746513.jpg
  • 1389059780519.jpg
  • 1389059821614.jpg
  • 1389059913053.jpg

• de450f

TT Member

44 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 06:34 AM

Did some more planning on my snow bike kit and looked at it abunch.

• Ride-n-Hard

TT Bronze Member

412 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 06:03 PM

My '12 got new white plastic today. I haven't yet decided if I like both front and rear fenders yet or not. I do like the polisport plastic though.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• still2smokin
3,229 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:38 PM

New Boyesen water pump, Devol radiator guards ( not thrilled with these ) , Tusk hi-pressure radiator cap ,

new shroud/tank graphics ( last ones I spilled gas on and they started to fall apart ) .

20140108_181057_zpsa933f513.jpg

20140104_085002_zps03963fe6.jpg

20140108_181107_zpsc5c0fca5.jpg

Not thrilled with these ^^^      bulky, weak , ugly ,  and push the rad shrouds out about 1-1.5 inches out. Ghey

I should of bought Unabiker. :banghead:  :banghead:

20140108_181119_zps1f3d8975.jpg

20140108_160010_zps0e3ac9d5.jpg

20140108_160112_zps8074b9ad.jpg

• firedog55

TT Member

87 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 04:18 PM

still2smokin-My riding partner has the same radiator guards on his '06 YZ450F. I went with Works Connection guards, they fit great, look good, and don't increase the width at the radiator shrounds. The Devol guards appear more sturdy though. My friend has dumped his YZ many times on the rocky trails we ride with no damage to the radiators, although the shrouds were thrashed.

You can barely see the WC guard just under the shroud in this picture, but there's no protection for the lower part of the radiators.
zm1s3s.jpg

I'm considering some major engine work on my WR, stage 1 HotCams, 478cc big bore kit, GYT-R clutch and the Boyesen H2O pump. BTW thanks for the info on the updated headlight.

RockerWR450-The FMF system really adds to your WR, and the white/graphics look great. Have you re jetted yet, my WR was popping and back firing on decal. I ended up with:
Main jet: 175
Pilot Jet: 55
PAJ: stock
Leak Jet: stock
Starter Jet: stock
Fuel screw (turns out): 2 (Works Connection adj. fuel screw)
Needle Model/Clip position: GYT-R 7 grooves, clip in middle position (needle came with Yamaha AIS removal/de-restricting kit)
700" ASL, currently 35F

Ride-n-Hard-The white plastic looks good on your WR, the FX graphic on the fender really sets it off. I went with white fenders on my '06 also.
9fyuya.jpg
BTW I grew up in Santa Clarita, graduated from Canyon High. My folks still live in Sand Cyn.

Edited by firedog55, January 09, 2014 - 04:36 PM.

• jetfuel, still2smokin and n16ht5 like this
  • Like This

• still2smokin
3,229 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:41 PM

This should move a lot more water.

20140105_235534_zpse09c3968.jpg

• exracer2

TT Member

59 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 11:06 PM

I would like to know if that water pump makes a different.

• RockerYZWR
1,394 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 10, 2014 - 07:39 AM

RockerWR450-The FMF system really adds to your WR, and the white/graphics look great. Have you re jetted yet, my WR was popping and back firing on decal. I ended up with:
Main jet: 175
Pilot Jet: 55
Leak Jet: stock
Starter Jet: stock
Fuel screw (turns out): 2 (Works Connection adj. fuel screw)
Needle Model/Clip position: GYT-R 7 grooves, clip in middle position (needle came with Yamaha AIS removal/de-restricting kit)
700" ASL, currently 35F

Thanks a lot man - I'm really happy with the way it came out looking.  I'm no test rider, but right now, I can't imagine the bike running any better, either.  It starts easily cold or hot, has no bog or hesitation whatsoever from off-idle on up, and does not seem to have any fat or lean spots through the powerband.  I'm at about 4000' MSL and the temps when I ride right now are around 50 deg F.  My current set up is:

Main: 170

Pilot: 48 (I think...I just pulled it to check when I re-jetted and wrote it down at home)

Leak: 45 (and I have my accelerator pump linkage safety wired together)

Starter: stock

Fuel screw: 1.75 or 2 turns, I forget (tweaked it with the tachometer)

Needle: GYTR, third groove from the top

I've got a JD Jetting kit that I ordered from RMATV, but all that's in there that I could really use is the red and blue needles...but since I'm running great in both hot and cold weather with the GYTR needle and have a few extra jet sizes laying around anyway, I think I'm going to return the kit - $75 is pretty steep just for a couple of needles and a few different main/pilot jets.  Anybody have any advice on whether those needles alone are really worth that? 

• firedog55

TT Member

87 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 06:57 PM

Rocker-A lot of guys swear by those JDJetting kits, but if you don't need it, why keep it? Big difference in our jetting set ups, different year WRs, altitude and temp. I guess. I'm sure I'll have to adjust my needle when the temp. warms up.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:32 AM

BTW I grew up in Santa Clarita, graduated from Canyon High. My folks still live in Sand Cyn.

I just moved to Sand Cyn from Valencia. And I just moved my WR over. 

• firedog55

TT Member

87 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:07 AM

vixjim-Sand Cyn is still a great place to live, (in L.A. county).  When I was a kid we rode our dirt bikes all over. You could follow the train tracks north all the way to the Antelope Valley, south to to Newhall.  I used to ride down to "Dick Allen Yamaha" (now Santa Clarita Motorsports) for parts and to stare at the new bikes!  Indian Dunes was still open, every Wens for practice, every Sat, Sun, for racing.  Rode with Steve McQueen there.  Those were  the "Good Old Days" ,  the only good thing about getting old is the memories.

• shakey0818

TT Member

88 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 04:15 PM

I cleaned the plug today,lol. I did inspect the air filter and noticed there was a little red sticky substance towards the bottom.Tomorrow i will do a search on how to clean it.Last couple of days it just don't want to start,I tried every which way.I did notice but not sure if it happened before but when i kick it the headlight is dim.I'm guessing its a good thing.I think I will be ordering new brake/clutch levers and bark busters this weekend.

• electricme

TT Member

42 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 11, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Ufo rear fender with tailight.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1389501000.484921.jpg

• Ride-n-Hard

TT Bronze Member

412 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:11 PM

I just moved to Sand Cyn from Valencia. And I just moved my WR over.

We're neighbors now. Welcome! Unfortunately there is a wr diagnostic tool usage fee do now to live over here(g).

Let's ride sometime.

• thumper_calgary

TT Bronze Member

148 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 06:56 AM

I cleaned the plug today,lol. I did inspect the air filter and noticed there was a little red sticky substance towards the bottom.Tomorrow i will do a search on how to clean it.Last couple of days it just don't want to start,I tried every which way.I did notice but not sure if it happened before but when i kick it the headlight is dim.I'm guessing its a good thing.I think I will be ordering new brake/clutch levers and bark busters this weekend.

Ummm, is that filter oil? I dont want to insult you or anything but thats supposed to be there...... dirty or over oiled air filter can cause hard starting.

• KTMsSuck351

TT Bronze Member

117 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 13, 2014 - 08:16 AM

I tore the motor out for rebuild today.

• woods-rider

TT Addict

3,005 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 10:04 AM

Greased my swingarm, linkage and shock bearings. First time doing it on this bike. Bought it new in August 2013 and have 47 hrs on it. Bearings were all still in good shape, but glad it did this. There was barely any grease on them and winter riding here in the soaking wet pacific northwest is not very nice to bearings. Use marine waterproof grease. Should get me to next winter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.