* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4430 replies to this topic
  • MANIAC998
4,960 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 19, 2013 - 03:15 AM

I've never seen a valve shim bucket break before. Any thoughts on what caused it? High RPM's?

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Bummer about the breakdown man. Hope it runs again

• cwallershasta

TT Bronze Member

177 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hey Boise, I think I'm finally reaching the point (or just getting old) where I would like to soften up the old seat a little. How do you like and how much was your Guts seat? and where did you get yours? I'm not to far from you. I'm kinda hoping to find something that doesn't bunch up my depends when I ride. :) Seriously, I need something a little better than the stocker.

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hey Boise, I think I'm finally reaching the point (or just getting old) where I would like to soften up the old seat a little. How do you like and how much was your Guts seat? and where did you get yours? I'm not to far from you. I'm kinda hoping to find something that doesn't bunch up my depends when I ride. :) Seriously, I need something a little better than the stocker.

I love the Guts Racing seat so far. I ordered mine direct from the factory for $130 ($60 tall seat cover, $70 tall foam). My wife got them for me for Christmas, and did really well, but she got me the "soft" foam instead of the "medium", so I probably didn't end up with any extra height by ordering the "tall" foam since it compresses down easier, but it sure feels comfortable!

The company has awesome customer service... I called and was asking questions about mounting glue and staples (never did an aftermarket seat cover before), and they just told me to send in my seat base and they installed the foam and cover for me for free.

Don't hesitate... your hiney will thank you :thumbsup:

http://www.gutsracin...il.aspx?ID=2984

http://www.gutsracin...il.aspx?ID=2966

• still2smokin
3,232 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Posted Image

Is there somthing missing from this pic ?

I got the bottom end to spin freely by pulling big chunks of plastic from the gear the turns the timming chain.

Shouldn't there be a rub block on the inside of the valve cover ? I don't see it on any of the diagrams .

Really ?!? My shit blew up becuase a rub block fell off ........so not cool .

• Alpha One Nine

TT Member

51 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Shouldn't there be a rub block on the inside of the valve cover ? I don't see it on any of the diagrams .

I just looked at mine and it has one.

• Alpha One Nine

TT Member

51 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:14 PM

So after installing my three 1.85 mm intake shims I'm a little looser than I calculated but I think/hope I’m ok.
I can slide my .006” feeler gauge in each with fairly significant drag but the .007” is a down-right no go.

• still2smokin
3,232 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:42 PM

I just looked at mine and it has one.

Does it look like this ....

Posted Image
JK, this was wrapped around the crakshaft and it has to be that piece. I mean part of it .

Thanks for looking , I guess a new valve cover gets added to the parts list .

Edited by still2smokin, March 19, 2013 - 08:50 PM.

• elcubeo

TT Member

89 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:25 AM

That's impressive. Never ever heard of that happening!! I wonder if the cover was just defective, or if the chain was somehow slapping it and fatigued something. Now I am going to play with every valve cover I take off, just to see if I can get one of those wear blocks to break off......

• elcubeo

TT Member

89 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 05:30 AM

So after installing my three 1.85 mm intake shims I'm a little looser than I calculated but I think/hope I’m ok.
I can slide my .006” feeler gauge in each with fairly significant drag but the .007” is a down-right no go.

Too loose is better than too tight. Besides, the clearances just tighten up as the valves heat or stretch anyway. .0065 inch intake is just fine. My WR508 motard is getting a bit slow to start, I think its time to take my own advice soon. All those rev-limiter bonsai runs must be adding up lol.....

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image\
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
  • mslow, allterra and revyrider like this
  • Like This

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 11:15 AM

• Alpha One Nine

TT Member

51 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I did the green wire mod today and went for a ride. Sun was out all day but I still froze my butt off.

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:29 AM

whats the green wire mod? froze your butt off?? ?

I washed her up and got her all ready for the Desert 100
Posted Image

Edited by n16ht5, March 25, 2013 - 11:30 AM.

• Alpha One Nine

TT Member

51 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 12:50 PM

The green wire mod is when you attach a green wire to the grey wire coming from the CDI and to a toggle switch then to ground.
Any color of wire would work but the Kawasaki owner in me said green would make it faster. :lol:

Maybe I will see you in Odessa. I'm not doing the Sunday race but plan to do one of the poker runs on Saturday.

• D-rek07

TT Bronze Member

202 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 01:08 PM

• allterra

TT Bronze Member

227 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 01:21 PM

@ n16ht5
I am jealous you have snow and what looks like nice warm greenery. We are still in the snow everywhere here.

Attached Thumbnails

• phone 122512 223.jpg

• still2smokin
3,232 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 27, 2013 - 08:32 PM

My wiring harness showed up today, well I guess it's a start :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Edited by still2smokin, March 27, 2013 - 08:32 PM.

• TheUpCycler

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 04:06 PM

I picked up a blue '01 wr426 in good/excellent condition a few weeks ago. I bought it to convert to street legal.

Yesterday I figured out how to float the ground w/o modding the stator (after opening it up anyway), replaced the stock bulbs w/ bright LED's, the t/s's are LED, I mounted the sla battery up under and in front of the taillight and mounted a GY6 scooter reg/rect I bought on ebay for $5.

Today I'm building the loom taking care to leave everything unadultered so it can be returned to stock by simply reconnecting, re-mounting etc. i.e. no wire snipping.

These are really fun bikes to work on, I did the blue wire mod and will be doing the throttle stopscrew after I ride it some more so I can feel the difference. The baffle was removed from the stock muffler but other than that it is bone stock. Once I learned the chicken dance it has been easy to start at any temp, in fact as long as it isn't cold it starts w/ no choke. Somebody on this sight really hit it home when they said if you have trouble starting it to work your procedure from leaner to richer i.e. try w/o choke or twists and work richer from there (really good advice).

Cheers!

• TheUpCycler

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 04:34 PM

BTW that snow vid looks fun as fux D-Rek07!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.