* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4429 replies to this topic
  • still2smokin
3,229 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Make sure there isn't any electric grease on the connector. That is what was causing my motor stutter. I think the low voltage is restricted by the lube.

interesting..... it just so happens I put die-elecric grease in the connector before I ever rode
this bike, so maybe I caused my own problem and it wouldn't be the first time thats happend.
Thanks I will clean out the connector.

• Bandit9

TT Titanium Member

2,260 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:30 PM

Maybe that is why some have the stutter and some don't. I myself haven't noticed it on either of my WR's. I tend to ride it a little higher it the revs though.

• AKmud

TT Member

81 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Got to know my ride a little better today... I bought this bike about three weeks ago so I dont know exactly what has been done to it. Basically disassembled the damn bike to get the carb off ('08 450), found the AIS and throttle screw have been addressed, gray wire cut, and snorkle removed. I am trying to address the mid range bobble so commonly talked about here on TT so I disassembled the carb to see what jetting I'm running.

What I found -

Leak - 45
Main - 168
Pilot - 50
Starter - 65
Pilot air - 70
Needle - GDDTR with clip in the 4th pos.

Do you guys see anything that doesn't make sense? I run in the 0-2000' range with temps from 40*-70* typically.

I also ran up the pre-load on the rear shock (I'm 6'4" and around 270#) and confirmed dampening settings so I can fine tune them on the next outing. I'll probably have to re-spring to the fat man spring at some point, but it seems to be sufficient at this point.

Edited by AKmud, July 29, 2012 - 09:01 PM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Get Help Now

6,820 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 30, 2012 - 07:56 AM

After 7 years, lots of great times, I loaded my beloved wr450 into the back of someone else's truck and watched him drive away. 22hrs after I did a complete teardown and rebuild and now the bike is gone. I went through the garage and also gave the new owner any an everything I had accumulated for that bike over the past 7 years. It was a lot of stuff.

It was fully and completely dialed in and the next bike I get has to definitely measure up. I am injured and will be off of motorcycles for 6-8 months, so I am taking the opportunity to just start over with a new stable.

:) :D :D

Posted Image

• Bandit9

TT Titanium Member

2,260 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 03:07 PM

That is a lot of work to just sell it. He must have made an offer you couldn't refuse.

• GlennR

TT Bronze Member

487 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 04:34 PM

After 7 years, lots of great times, I loaded my beloved wr450 into the back of someone else's truck and watched him drive away. 22hrs after I did a complete teardown and rebuild and now the bike is gone. I went through the garage and also gave the new owner any an everything I had accumulated for that bike over the past 7 years. It was a lot of stuff.

It was fully and completely dialed in and the next bike I get has to definitely measure up. I am injured and will be off of motorcycles for 6-8 months, so I am taking the opportunity to just start over with a new stable.

:) :D :D

Good luck with the healing. Bikes come & go, but "you're the only you that you have". Let us know what you end up with as your next bike.

peace,
GR

• Just_a_trail_rider

Get Help Now

6,820 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 31, 2012 - 04:50 PM

That is a lot of work to just sell it. He must have made an offer you couldn't refuse.

It wasn't that great of an offer. But like I said, I am physically unable to ride. After my shoulder surgery in a couple of weeks, I will be focused on more important, yet still dirty things... like learning how to write, type, eat and wipe my ass with my left hand instead of my right.

I was going to sell it about a year from now anyway, so why not today. , but there's no need to let it just sit there while I heal.

The guy I sold it to will appreciate it and will get the maximum benefit out of it. He was as happy in that picture as I was when I bought it off the original owner 7 years ago.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Get Help Now

6,820 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 31, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Good luck with the healing. Bikes come & go, but "you're the only you that you have". Let us know what you end up with as your next bike.

peace,
GR

Thanks... it will be either the new KTM 450 xc-w or the tried and tested new Yamaha wr450. I have six to eight months to decide. The long term ownership reports of both should be in by then.

I made sure that I cleared out all Yamaha tools, gear, and accessories just so the slate will be truly clean.

• Chengshin Ripper

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:20 PM

I changed it up a bit.

Posted Image

• still2smokin
3,229 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 02, 2012 - 10:23 PM

Called in sick tomorow with a lame excuse and loaded up for a 3 day trip to the mountains !!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

• AKmud

TT Member

81 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 02, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Put on the Cycra ProBend hand guards I just got from Amazon for $101! Not too pleased how they are fitting around the brake lever so I'm going to have to get creative..

Edited by AKmud, August 02, 2012 - 10:53 PM.

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 03, 2012 - 11:43 AM

Put on the Cycra ProBend hand guards I just got from Amazon for $101! Not too pleased how they are fitting around the brake lever so I'm going to have to get creative..

AKmud,

As shipped, the Cycra guards are way too tight at the levers, so they make a spacer kit you can get straight from Cycra. I didn't know this until it was too late, so I just ended up using a few heavy-duty washers and they work perfectly now.

Posted Image

• AKmud

TT Member

81 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 03, 2012 - 02:07 PM

Bee, thanks for the info. Time to go sort through my washer collection!

• Bandit9

TT Titanium Member

2,260 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Loaded my 09 for a singletrack run tomorrow. I'm so ready to go rip tomorrow I can't sleep.

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 09:12 PM

strangely I have not had a TPS problem. Man am I glad :)

same here , cruise at 100 for an hour no tps issue

• td42ti

TT Member

61 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 11:58 PM

Went for a ride. It is meant to be the dry season up here but there was water and mud everywhere. Got bogged in sticky clay mud but luckily we got it out pretty quick.

Then once I was home I gave it a good wash.

Narrowed down the popping on decel a little bit (see other post) I am moving in a few months to a totally different altitude and environment so I will do a full re-jet when i get there.

• Tungtran

TT Newbie

18 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 04, 2012 - 07:26 PM

go motard

Posted ImagePosted Image

• W R, n16ht5 and CaocaoWR like this
  • Like This

• CaocaoWR

TT Member

30 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 07:55 AM

I put on a new rear brake disc (old one was bent) and go for a ride with a KTM
Posted Image
and pull that KTM :thumbsup:
Posted Image

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 04:22 PM

I put on a new rear brake disc (old one was bent) and go for a ride with a KTM
Posted Image
and pull that KTM :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Stupid ktms eh! I just spent last night laying on the ground with little bugs trying to bite me because Buddys Ktm wouldn't start!

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,340 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 05:04 AM

Got ready for Mad Lake.. Going friday

Posted Image

Edited by n16ht5, August 08, 2012 - 05:05 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

• Hot  29 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.