Went riding...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• td42ti

TT Member

61 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 10:33 PM

Went for a ride. Stoked with the WC frame guards, stop my boot from catching on the sub frame bolts.
Not liking the fact that the trails are all chewed up after the wet season. Ruts everywhere and nasty washouts just waiting to bite you. Can't wait to move at the end of the year back to temperate climate with soft loamy soil!

• wrwest

TT Bronze Member

169 posts

Posted June 09, 2012 - 04:51 AM

Graphics kit and operation hide-tools. Got tired of the dang fender packs on there.. plus I want a fender rack for my chainsaw

These fit nicely under the seat.

Posted Image

Some heavy duty 4" tape over tools to keep them secure
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Bag that I keep my air compressor in. I have all my tools and air compressor on the bike now without an annoying fender bag. woohoo! Some stuff went behind the headlight and one multi tool into the airbox
Posted Image

Aaaah , ok I see tubless sticker on front rim!

• td42ti

TT Member

61 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Today gave it a good clean, oiled the chain and all the external springs (foot pegs etc) then fitted up some bark busters and Pazoma pivot levers.
Trying to figure out a good spot to run the battery minder cables. Was thinking down into the airbox so I just take off the air filter cover to plug it in. thoughts?

• still2smokin
3,232 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 10, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Today gave it a good clean, oiled the chain and all the external springs (foot pegs etc) then fitted up some bark busters and Pazoma pivot levers.
Trying to figure out a good spot to run the battery minder cables. Was thinking down into the airbox so I just take off the air filter cover to plug it in. thoughts?

Posted Image

This works for me, easy to get to and never in the way.

• td42ti

TT Member

61 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 12:08 AM

This works for me, easy to get to and never in the way.

That looks like a pretty good spot, I'll have another look and weigh up the options. The battery has been really good but I figure it can't hurt to keep it on a minder.

• The Hopper Show

TT Silver Member

760 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 03:43 PM

yes, best tire. hooks up like crazy. Makes sure you have it up to 40-45PSI on the road though. super squirrelly under that

what do you run on the trail?

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 05:45 PM

what do you run on the trail?

3-5psi... I pulled it today...way to wobbly on the road... scary sketchy. Went back to the Desert IT. I'm done with all other rear tires besides Maxxis Desert IT and maybe Motoz or Pirelli MT43.

Posted Image
Tucked a spare 21" tube behind the skid plate. Fit almost like it was meant to be.
Posted Image

Edited by n16ht5, June 11, 2012 - 09:49 PM.

• still2smokin
3,232 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 17, 2012 - 09:56 PM

Took her to the woods :devil: ......

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 10:26 PM

played around.. was pouring rain all day. So I put a new water pump seal on and flushed the coolant. Also mounted a new Maxxis Desert IT, rear brake rotor and new brake guard. Smashed the last brake out trail riding. Also redid the wiring loom behind the headlight.

Posted Image

HMM.. now what to do with this..
Posted Image

going to sell this.. anyone want it? Used it for about 10 minutes.. bit too loud for my secret bootleg trails
Posted Image

back to the 09 YZF pipe.. the stock tip has these wierd restrictor things.. I rammed out the motor side, and cut the tip off and put it on the other side for less resistance. Probably about the same resistance as a spark arrestor (they usually just ram a stick up the pipe..)
Posted Image

pulled the PMB off... anyone want it? I like the look of the stocker tip. the PMB has a spark arrestor and ultra quiet tip
Posted Image
Posted Image

used this to get out tthe baffle restrictor
Posted Image

back in she goes
Posted Image

Dang that looks good
Posted Image

Sound?? just a bit louder than the 07 YZF pipe but quieter than the open Leo Vince. No chance to test it out yet.. tired of riding in the pouring rain. I will tomorrow.

Posted Image

Edited by n16ht5, June 17, 2012 - 10:29 PM.

• Rodrigue

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 06:35 AM

Finally finished replacing ALL bearings and fluids and fitting a new decal kit. Now off for a blat in the hills

As i brought 2 months ago

Posted Image

And now after a bit of tlc

Posted Image
Posted Image

• W R
5,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 18, 2012 - 07:30 AM

Bike looks great! Now that you have it done maybe you might want to work on that stand next? :devil:

• Zombatar

TT Member

70 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 07:42 AM

I put new grips on it. Got the Pillow Tops and they are so much nicer than the stock grips. LOL
Going to lube the Yamalink on the wife's WR later.

• DrFeelGood

TT Silver Member

712 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 18, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Bike looks great! Now that you have it done maybe you might want to work on that stand next? :devil:

I saw that!!

:ride:

• Rodrigue

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 11:46 AM

Not only is the stand a bit Dangerous I got it in the neck from the wife as the bottom bit is one of her flower pots placed upside down! :devil:

• loco4x4

TT Bronze Member

490 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Got the front forks on the plated frame. When we tried to put the 2002 WR swing arm/engine bolt through the '99 YZ frame holes, it would not go. The bolt is 18mm and the frame holes are for a 17mm bolt. Nathan still has the swing arm bushings and the bolt/washer/nut from the '99 frame. I would have to buy the 2 bushings for the '99 motor to go in the '02 motor cases or enlarge the holes in the frame to 18mm. I figure I'll enlarge the two holes in the frame and keep all the existing hardware.

Then we found that the dog bone bolt holes on the frame are located so you can't put the bolt in from the right due to the brake lever pivot boss and it won't go in from the left due to the new kick stand mounts I made. I took the air die grinder to the brake pivot boss and made enough clearance to pass the bolt into the frame holes. Now I'll need to cut a steel plug to fill the hole and weld it in. So much for the pristine powder coat paint job! And the '02 bolt has a flat that bears against a flat stop on the frame so you don't need a wrench on the bolt head. No such stop on the '99 frame so I'll need to weld a flat piece on for that too. If the '99 bolt with a hex head fits, I could use it or weld a nut on the flat head of the '02 bolt. These should be the only differences....I'll keep telling myself that!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• td42ti

TT Member

61 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 03:45 AM

Fitted up the 52T rear sprocket, had to add in an extra link to the chain. Found out that the chain is rivetted. Had to buy some master links and spare link.
All sorted now. Once I am fully happy with the gearing I will buy an all new seat of sprockets and a new chain to start fresh.

Hopefully I will get out on the weekend to try out the lower gearing.

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 08:58 PM

Ran the Leo Vince out dual sporting.. man this pipe is nice and quiet with the quiet insert.

I still can't decide which exhaust I want to primarily run. The LV open is way too loud.. with the insert it loses a hair on the top end it seems, but is super quiet and has a really smooth power band with nice punchy low. I am afraid of smashing it on a trail. The 07 YZ pipe is a bit louder but seems to have a hair more on top (fat header and bigger opening on the tail pipe I would assume leads to this). The 07 doesn't have the smooth snappy low end of the LV though and the LV open has more all around.

The LV with the quiet insert I couldn't break past 99mph.. hovered 96-99. the 07 was about 2mph faster (temp could be a factor.. it was a bit colder out with the 07 pipe)
Haven't topped out without the insert.. or the 09 pipe yet. I wonder if the LV with the fatty 09 yz head pipe would clean out better?

the 09 YZ pipe is super short and cool looking.. out of the way of smashing it on trails.. but it is a bit loud for my taste (probably 96-97db) although not as loud as the LV open. It sounds really cool though, nice and deep whump whump. Power is comparable to the 07 although it lacks a bit of the sweet overrev.. I need to retest it more after my latest mods to it.

09 yzf.. dang that looks sweet.
Posted Image
07 yzf .. dang that is ugly, but the pipe just works well and has a good spark arrestor
Posted Image

Leo... mmm pretty.
Posted Image
choices.. choices

I wish I had access to a cheap/free dyno

• still2smokin
3,232 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 22, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Washed it, sat on it while I made braaap noises and promised to give her some new rubber after next weekends trip. @ n16ht5---- I used to think I got to see some great scenery while riding in California but damn, your ride pictures put Cali to shame. So jealous .

Edited by still2smokin, June 22, 2012 - 10:09 PM.

• dR0

TT Member

57 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 03:37 PM

New rubber on front/back, did the grey wire mod and a few other things. Also ripped off the ugly vinyl graphics... hated those.

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

98 WR 400 Project by Justin Steele

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.