* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4430 replies to this topic
  • proamature

TT Member

94 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 10:14 AM

The Yamalink replaces the lower shock link with one slightly longer. This lowers the seat by about 1.5", gives an increased leverage ratio, improves traction, stability & cornering.

Very easy to fit - took about an hour including dropping the forks a few mm, resetting the sag, having a coffee and taking it for a test ride.

I think ima have to get me one. Hight is an issue for me because I'm only 5'7 having it a little lower would be great. I looked them up and they talk about changing springs. Seeing that I'm no pro rider and don't do anything fancy. You think I could get away with stock spring?

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 05:35 PM

I would never run a lowering link. you are fine at 5'7", just decrease the spring preload. the link ruins your suspension geometry, you will bottom out all the time too

• travertt

TT Bronze Member

428 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 05:58 PM

travertt, on 17 April 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

re-set the sag.

You're gonna have fun!!!

What is that? Does it lower it some? Sorry for the ignorance jus never heard of it and curious

Go to the following link to learn about setting the sag. Its step #1 in having your rear suspension set up properly.

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

You really should to do this.

Also, if you finf that you can only get your tip toes on the ground when standing still...I highly recommend the Yamalink. It will make your ride a whole lot more fun...and safer.
http://motorcycleloweringlinks.com/

• travertt

TT Bronze Member

428 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 06:12 PM

I would never run a lowering link. you are fine at 5'7", just decrease the spring preload. the link ruins your suspension geometry, you will bottom out all the time too

Sorry

I have to respectfully disagree!!

Been running mine for two years and no problems with my suspension "geometry". The fact of the matter is that 90% of riders are not that highly skilled to have a lowering link ruin their ride due to non-stock steering geometry. The guys I ride with have all commented on how much improved my riding is due to the ability to get my feet on the ground when I need to..its a big confidence builder.. It also makes things waaaaaay more fun when you're not always worried about dumping the bike. Lets you increase speed and take more chances. ...AND I have never bottomed my suspension.

I have ridden my WR450 with and without the link...with the link is 100% better (for me at 5'8")...maybe you should give it a try ...unless of course you're "vertically gifted". :thumbsup:

• CaocaoWR

TT Member

30 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 06:17 PM

<p>After ~3000km (9 months) since I own the bike, the valve clearance is a little out of specs. (I don't know how much the previous owner had before)
I decided to give her some new shims.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• proamature

TT Member

94 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Go to the following link to learn about setting the sag. Its step #1 in having your rear suspension set up properly.

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

You really should to do this.

Also, if you finf that you can only get your tip toes on the ground when standing still...I highly recommend the Yamalink. It will make your ride a whole lot more fun...and safer.
http://motorcycleloweringlinks.com/

The tipy toe problem is what I have and I'm only 140 pounds it's not like I weigh enough to make the bike go down. I did soften up the spring a little and it helped some but I think I'm definitely going to get the yamalink, like n16ht5 said it messes up the geometry of the suspension....ummmm I'm not that great and into riding, considering I have 2 herniated disk in my lower back. :/ . I jus ride everyone in a while. Like I said I'm no pro. I jus like to itch that scratch every once in a while,

• WideEyedFox

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 12:59 AM

If you don't reset sag it will bottom very easily and turn slowly.

How to adjust rear suspension sag -> http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

At 5' 6" the YamLink has made the bike much easier to handle thus improving my confidence. I'm no pro rider (way too many miles on my clock for that!) but I'll take what I can so I can enjoy my riding more.

Service from ML2 to the UK was fantastic too. Full tracking, delivery within a week, and full fitting instructions supplied. The instructions plus YouTube fitting video made the job as easy as an oil change.

If you buy one - RESET YOUR SAG. The job is a bit more than the 3 bolts of the link. Not much more, but make sure you factor in an extra 30 minutes or so to adjust your forks and RESET YOUR SAG.

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 02:38 PM

Actually the unit sold by Yamalink can improve geometry.

http://www.motorcycl...a-lowering-link

http://www.motorcycl...z_lowering_faqs

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 07:58 AM

The tipy toe problem is what I have and I'm only 140 pounds it's not like I weigh enough to make the bike go down. I did soften up the spring a little and it helped some but I think I'm definitely going to get the yamalink, like n16ht5 said it messes up the geometry of the suspension....ummmm I'm not that great and into riding, considering I have 2 herniated disk in my lower back. :/ . I jus ride everyone in a while. Like I said I'm no pro. I jus like to itch that scratch every once in a while,

maybe you will be okay then.. I regularly bottom out my shock at stock height *with sag set correctly. I weigh 145lb, 5'9". I would still never use a lowering link, unless I was like 5'3

• BBBTHREAT

TT Bronze Member

110 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Installed stiffer fork springs, and a stiffer titanium yz spring on the rear.

• WideEyedFox

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 03:22 PM

Did a partial strip down to replace some bolts & fix brake light not working. The previous owner must have used a 3 foot bar on everything while blind folded. Everything was way too tight and rounded off. On top of that the bike seems to be held together with whatever he could find on the garage floor. The sub frame was held on with 3 different types of bolt.

I have ordered a S/S allen head bolt kit and will be going over it thoroughly with a torque wrench.

Thinking of getting some neoprene fork gaiters (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190641327398) to keep the fork bottoms in good condition too.

• simbak01

TT Member

26 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 01:36 AM

Just ordered a 15t front sprocket for my 98 wr400, just to get a bit more poke on the roads, also like the look of those neoprene gaitors. Thinking of getting some neoprene fork gaiters ([color="#0f72da"] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190641327398[/color]) to keep the fork bottoms in good condition too.

Do you have to have the forks stripped down or can I just wrap around?

Simon

• ecookman

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 01:56 AM

Uncorked it >:thumbsup: and basic maintenance.

• WideEyedFox

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 05:52 AM

...Thinking of getting some neoprene fork gaiters ([color=#0f72da] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190641327398[/color]) to keep the fork bottoms in good condition too.

Do you have to have the forks stripped down or can I just wrap around?

Remove front wheel, loosen forks in clamps and remove - slide gaiters down forks from the top - secure with zip ties.

• still2smokin
3,232 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 22, 2012 - 01:23 PM

Took my new to me 05 wr450 out for the first time !

It didnt start out so well ......I got 1.6 miles and then it died and would not restart &%$#@!! After 1 mile of coasting and .6 of pushing
in 90+ degrees, I changed the plug and adjusted the fuel mixture screw from 1.75 out to 2.25 and it hauled ass the rest of the the
day. I rode it like a little girl though, it had plenty of power I just didnt feel comfortable in the turns yet.
It is a whole different animal than my old ass 2 stroke I have been ridding for ten years .
Time to start tuning the new suspesion .
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by still2smokin, April 23, 2012 - 04:59 PM.

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,344 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Posted ImageNice 2smoke... Thats some sKill to foul a plug like that on a 4 stroke lol, cool looking bike though.

I put the stock airfilter back on... After comparing it to the twin air.. Wow, the stock one looks like it filters a lot better. Ill take extra protection over .25hp gain from the twin air.

Went for a ride around the neighborhood too

• still2smokin
3,232 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 27, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Actually it didnt foul, I took it out to see if it was getting spark and just changed it for the hell of it.
I am pretty sure it was just to lean.
Getting some more seat time tomorrow !!!

• Navaho6

TT Gold Member

1,372 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 27, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Picked up a barely used '09 last week. Added GYTR tank shroud graphics, 2012 YZ front fender, Z-carbon headlight eliminator, new tires, steering damper, titanium shock spring. Removed the computer, tail light and all associated wires and set the sag. Tomorrow is the first ride!

Posted Image

• still2smokin
3,232 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 27, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Posted ImageNice 2smoke... Thats some sKill to foul a plug like that on a 4 stroke lol, cool looking bike though.

I put the stock airfilter back on... After comparing it to the twin air.. Wow, the stock one looks like it filters a lot better. Ill take extra protection over .25hp gain from the twin air.

Went for a ride around the neighborhood too

I would frame the hell out of that picture.

• BBBTHREAT

TT Bronze Member

110 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Installed Tusk fork bleeders, and 30mm risers. Then took it out to Ballinger Canyon OHV area and tested it out with the new resprung suspension. What a difference! Able to stand up now without hunching over, and was able to attack everyhting with more speed. And with the new suspension the rear end does not squat down and wander when I gas it or go faster than 35 mph. They are not kidding about just setting up your suspension to go faster is the best money spent.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.