* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4429 replies to this topic
  • W R
5,289 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 07, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Took her for a ride today along with my boys. Got her a little dirty. She was such a dirty, dirty girl!Posted Image
Could not have asked for a better day. If you look close you can see Mt. St. Hellens in the back ground. Had my phone set up on a log so it was not the best picture ever taken.
Posted Image

• matthewbosworth

TT Member

54 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 12:53 PM

today i installed a tablet/ipad screen protector on my headlamp. heat wont make it peel! great product...

Posted Image

first i made a template with paper, folded it in half and cut accordingly to make symmetrical...
Posted Image
Put the paper cut out on the back of the proctector, traced it, cut it out, and squeegied the sucker on!
Posted Image

Edited by matthewbosworth, April 09, 2012 - 12:55 PM.

• matthewbosworth

TT Member

54 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 01:35 PM

Took the swingarm off and installed a tm designworks chain slider. I took the entire swingarm off so i could power wash it and install the slider with silicone. I applied just enough to where it sealed perfectly everywhere and didnt spill out, I also didnt tighten the screws in all the way untill it was dry, wait atleast 48-72 hours before reinstalling or dirt with stick to the silicone and it wont wash off... No more sand/dirt underneath this guys chainslider!

If you never noticed, your chain slider is freefloating.... dumb design, if sand/dirt gets underneath and it moves, it seriously wears on the metal swingarm.
With movement of the chainslider eliminated, this translates into a smoother direct drive of the chain and less wear of the sprockets.
she rides much smoother now, no chain slap in low rpm..

I would definitely reccomend this for anyone with a WR/YZ.
plus it looks MFNBA!

finished product

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by matthewbosworth, April 10, 2012 - 08:22 AM.

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,340 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the pics Matt, I am going to do those mods now, nice work :thumbsup:

• The Hopper Show

TT Silver Member

759 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 03:48 PM

new oem side panels and fork guards. all that is left is the hand guards. then its time to ride! need to ride it and get it dialed perfectly. will post pics in next day or two.

• norm02

TT Bronze Member

108 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 05:39 PM

Changed the oil and filter for the first time and stuck a new Twin Air into it. Loving my new WR 450!

• matthewbosworth

TT Member

54 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Changed the oil and filter for the first time and stuck a new Twin Air into it. Loving my new WR 450!

next time you go for a new filter, try out a moose racing filter. moose doesnt actually make it, another company does and ill tell you what. it's much better quality than twin air. the seal around the air box is twice as good. im not doggin on twin air but moose just has a great product.

• W R
5,289 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 12, 2012 - 11:51 AM

next time you go for a new filter, try out a moose racing filter. moose doesnt actually make it, another company does and ill tell you what. it's much better quality than twin air. the seal around the air box is twice as good. im not doggin on twin air but moose just has a great product.

I really like the moose one my self. Great product

So, norm02 have you done any mods yet?

• proamature

TT Member

94 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 04:50 AM

I got a no toil air filter.. Kinda looks and feels cheap. Also took my forks off, they hard to rebuild? And Ams oil shock therapy #10 any good?

• dR0

TT Member

57 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hey guys, just found this section. Pretty new owner, only had mine about two weeks now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don't ask me why the previous owner decided it was a good idea to slap YZ stickers on it.

• W R
5,289 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 15, 2012 - 12:10 AM

Funny, I was looking at the pictures and thinking why is there YZ stickers on it? Then I saw your post below.

Your gonna love it if you don't already!

• YZ450Hombre

TT Bronze Member

184 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 15, 2012 - 05:49 AM

Insalled: Boyesen QS3 accelerator pump, Boyesen impeller and cover, Scary fast power now carb insert, Twin air air filter, JD jetting kit and adjustable air/fuel mixture screw. New plastic and graphics this week!

• The Hopper Show

TT Silver Member

759 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:16 PM

finished off the plastics. they finally all arrived.

Posted Image

• BBBTHREAT

TT Bronze Member

110 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:21 PM

New owner here with a left over 2011 WR. Brought it home and immediately put on an old pair of Tusk D-Flex handguards, Moose fender pack, Tugger's front and rear, and thumb savers. After doing break in I did my oil change. So today it was remove the peashooter, snorkel, grey wire pulled/taped off, removed and cut down throttle stop, installed Tusk fork seal guards, old school Acerbis Upper fork guards, and cleaned my air filter. Waiting for it to try so I can oil it.

• W R
5,289 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:43 PM

New owner here with a left over 2011 WR. Brought it home and immediately put on an old pair of Tusk D-Flex handguards, Moose fender pack, Tugger's front and rear, and thumb savers. After doing break in I did my oil change. So today it was remove the peashooter, snorkel, grey wire pulled/taped off, removed and cut down throttle stop, installed Tusk fork seal guards, old school Acerbis Upper fork guards, and cleaned my air filter. Waiting for it to try so I can oil it.

Nice! God I love ripping into a new bike. So is that the 250 or the 450? While your at it you might want to repack all of the bearings. When I got mine I did a break in ride and then did all of the mods and added goodies like you but went as far as repacking everything. Lets just say the dealership is saving their money on grease this year! Glad I took the extra time to do it now.

• BBBTHREAT

TT Bronze Member

110 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Nice! God I love ripping into a new bike. So is that the 250 or the 450? While your at it you might want to repack all of the bearings. When I got mine I did a break in ride and then did all of the mods and added goodies like you but went as far as repacking everything. Lets just say the dealership is saving their money on grease this year! Glad I took the extra time to do it now.

450. Hunted around for a while, and boy dealerships wanted to much for dirt bike. OTD price paying full sticker was nearly $10K. My local dealer offered up at $8K, but that was still high. Ended up going down to Long Beach and picking one up for $6,600 OTD which I could live with. Best I could find in California at the time. Bike is awesome and exactly what I wanted for the trails I run. I will agree that the factory does not put didly for grease on anything. I am slowly starting to go through eerything and regrease it. Definitely worth the initial headache of doing.

• WideEyedFox

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 03:03 PM

Nothing major today, but between the rain showers I finally got around to fitting a Yamalink (http://www.motorcycleloweringlinks.com) to my WR400.
Posted Image

Dropped the forks a few mm as well, and reset the sag. The rain started just as I finished putting my tools away :thumbsup:

I have a GoPro Hero 2 on the way, so I'm looking forward to getting out and having some fun. :thumbsup:

Edited by WideEyedFox, April 19, 2012 - 05:29 AM.

• travertt

TT Bronze Member

421 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Put a Yamalink on my 04 WR450 a couple of years ago, dropped the triple trees as much as I could and re-set the sag...just like you did...best thing I ever did!!

You're gonna have fun!!!

• proamature

TT Member

94 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 06:19 AM

re-set the sag.

You're gonna have fun!!!

What is that? Does it lower it some? Sorry for the ignorance jus never heard of it and curious

• WideEyedFox

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 07:42 AM

What is that? Does it lower it some? Sorry for the ignorance jus never heard of it and curious

The Yamalink replaces the lower shock link with one slightly longer. This lowers the seat by about 1.5", gives an increased leverage ratio, improves traction, stability & cornering.

Very easy to fit - took about an hour including dropping the forks a few mm, resetting the sag, having a coffee and taking it for a test ride.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.