* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4428 replies to this topic
  • still2smokin
3,223 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:45 PM

I pushed that little red starter button and got a giant grin !!!!!!! Its alive!!!!!
Please ignore the nasty garage and raiders crap.
Idled like a champ and the smell of new exhaust is awesome !!!!
Posted Image

Edited by still2smokin, March 21, 2012 - 09:59 PM.

• The Hopper Show

TT Silver Member

759 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 07:29 PM

AIS removal
Grey wire mod
took pea shooter out
yz throttle stop
o-ring mod
new head pipe
took silencer out of air box
jd jet kit: went with jd instructions, but up one on the pilot circuit. 170 main, 45 pilot, blue needle 3rd clip.
did the merge racing fuel screw. something seems a bit off though as it only needs about 1/4 of a turn to run smoothly. it was about 51 degrees outside today here. but the bike runs very well at that setting. anyone have any ideas on that one?
also threw on some new tires. bridgestone m403 front and m404 rear. never tried em. we will see how they do.
changed oil and filter
cleaned air filter
cleaned the hell out of everything else.

waiting on plastics to come in the mail

• still2smokin
3,223 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 25, 2012 - 09:16 PM

well I thought it was all good.. started it in the garage( yesterday) warmed it up and then the motor flamed out and backfired a few times
right after I threw it some high revs......
first problem was I forgot to turn the gas on :thumbsup: then I could not get it to refire- killed battery then kicked it way to many times without luck,
but I did turn the throttle a few times with the choke on :thumbsup: apperantly not smart after a backfire. Started it today, ran great had the choke on
and gave it some medium revs to warm up , then it flamed out again and back fired but was able to restart easily if I pulled the hartstart.
I am assuming disconneting the blue/white wire was a bad idea. I am gonna reconnect it and bring my stock pilot jet when I take it to the trail.

Oh the joys stripping down a bike to make 4 bazillion changes and then trying to figure out what you did wrong.

EDITED- as if my spelling and grammar are not bad enough- bud light platnums make it worse.

Edited by still2smokin, March 26, 2012 - 04:55 PM.

• travertt

TT Bronze Member

420 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 12:48 PM

Oh the joys stripping down a bike making to 4 bazillion changes and then trying to figure out what you did wrong.

Amen to that!!

I tried to disconnect my blue/white wire last week (for the quick fire on estart) but there was absolutly no way I could get the connectors apart (untouched since '04 and lots of wet and muddy hours of riding)....made me crazy at the time but maybe it was all for the better.

• still2smokin
3,223 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 26, 2012 - 05:09 PM

Amen to that!!

I tried to disconnect my blue/white wire last week (for the quick fire on estart) but there was absolutly no way I could get the connectors apart (untouched since '04 and lots of wet and muddy hours of riding)....made me crazy at the time but maybe it was all for the better.

I had a really hard time with that too, the dirt inside the connector made it almost impossible to get apart had to jam 2 small screwdrivers
into it and pry. When I did I cleaned it really well and filled the holes where the gray wire and blue/white were with dielectric grease,
reconnected and covered the connectors with 3m electrical tape. This also made me unplug ALL the other connectors and grease with
dielectric grease.

Not sure if the blue/white wire caused the backfires , but I read a few posts where people said it causes them .

• The Hopper Show

TT Silver Member

759 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 10:30 PM

jd jet kit: went with jd instructions, but up one on the pilot circuit. 170 main, 45 pilot, blue needle 3rd clip. did the merge racing fuel screw. something seems a bit off though as it only needs about 1/4 of a turn to run smoothly. it was about 51 degrees outside today here. but the bike runs very well at that setting. anyone have any ideas on that one?

anyone?

i am at the 0-4k elevation range. seems like most people at this range are ending up with 168 main jet and a 48 pilot jet. i have no idea how my bike will perform with the 170 main. but you can see my results with the 45 pilot and the fuel screw. do i need to go down to a 42? seems far off from everyone else's setups. blue needle on 3rd clip too per JD instructions.

now that i have rejetted, what signs do i need to look for while riding to know if i am too rich or to lean? how will i know if i need to change my main jet, or change my needle clip position? what about if i need to change my pilot? if i drop it to a 42 pilot, how should i expect my bike to respond?

i just dont want to make changes without knowing what i am changing or the signs to look for.

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,340 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:05 AM

Run 168/48. Just do it. Stock exhaust w/pea shooter removed I was 168/45. Now with YZF pipe/Leo Vince I upped the pilot to 48 and its just right.

I live in WA too so our jetting should about the same

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:38 AM

Rode my xt225 after doing brakes, chain, sprockets and it felt like a tractor compared to my wr450. 30hp difference though

• The Hopper Show

TT Silver Member

759 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 04:04 PM

getting plastics fitted. love the rear fender sans tail light. new oem style graphics will go on this evening. still waiting on side panels, fork guards, and handguards.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,340 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 09:42 PM

dang that's looking good. those bridgestones look beefy.. how are they going to pass the inspection for plate?

• The Hopper Show

TT Silver Member

759 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 10:24 PM

dang that's looking good. those bridgestones look beefy.. how are they going to pass the inspection for plate?

thank you sir. should look pretty clean once i am done. want to get the skid on there and some frame guards as well. just trying to stay with a stock clean look.

this is my first time with the bridgestones so we shall see. not going to get it plated yet. maybe down the road a bit. i am not putting too much money into it right now. getting everything on closeout. those are polisport plastics i got for $27 shipped. the graphics are fx i got on black friday. paid retail for tires, and also for jet kit. speaking of which...what needle clip position you running?

• proamature

TT Member

94 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 01:43 PM

Found out a wr is really expensive, 10$ for starter jet, 100$ for Idel screw, 40$ for carb base gasket, hers the big question. My stepdad has a 2002 drz400 looks like the same exact carb ( maybe not jet size) do these two. Bikes share the same carbs? ** if any of y'all know we're I can get these parts cheaper please let me know, or if any of y'all have spare parts and would like to sell**

• The Hopper Show

TT Silver Member

759 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 03:18 PM

crappy pic but here are the fx oem graphics:

Posted Image

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 29, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Got the suspension on the new 2012 WR done by TBT Racing today.... the forks and shock were re-valved and springs replaced for my weight and riding style.

http://www.tbtracing.../suspension.php

With this upgrade and the Cycra hand guards, FMF pipe, and competition ECU, the 450 should be good to go for a while!

Posted Image

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 06:53 AM

Found out a wr is really expensive, 10$ for starter jet, 100$ for Idel screw, 40$ for carb base gasket, hers the big question. My stepdad has a 2002 drz400 looks like the same exact carb ( maybe not jet size) do these two. Bikes share the same carbs? ** if any of y'all know we're I can get these parts cheaper please let me know, or if any of y'all have spare parts and would like to sell**

starter jets are 5 bucks, they aren't that expensive to maintain... Y'all should know this

• proamature

TT Member

94 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 07:11 AM

This guy we know told us 7 something, was is cost, but everyone seems to say that the 99 wr 400 is the biggest peace of crap Yamaha made, 100$ for a throttle screw! That's outrageous. I think ima end up selling it. Picked the wrong bike to make a project
Needs
Throttle screw,jets, carb gaskets,clutch, forks rebuilt, oil change, filters, radiator,grips, rear tube, misalious nuts and bolts,break master cylinders front and back, break pads,and on top of that don't even know if it runs

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,340 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 07:24 AM

I think I am on the 3rd clip needle, 168/48 50 leak jet.

I have some DOT tires you can borrow for the inspection. parts are about $100 for mirrors, horn, signals. I have reflectors and fender extension

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 07:35 AM

"99 wr 400 is the biggest peace of crap Yamaha made"

Completely NOT true and I'm not sure where you are getting your price quotes from but they are WAY off.

The brother to the wr 400 (the yz400f) took the chanpionship in 98. First time a 4-stroke had ever won and started the 4-stoke revolution for racing.

Edited by byggd, March 30, 2012 - 07:36 AM.

• travertt

TT Bronze Member

420 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 08:01 AM

Found out a wr is really expensive, 10$ for starter jet, 100$ for Idel screw, 40$ for carb base gasket,

Are you sure about those prices...did you get them from a dealer? They don't sound right to me.

And...the '99 WR was/is an excellent machine.

• proamature

TT Member

94 posts

Posted March 30, 2012 - 08:35 AM

The guy at Taylor's performance, he owns the place and he's a good friend of ours and he was telling us his price

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.