* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4430 replies to this topic
  • four_button_arnie

TT Newbie

15 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 10:40 PM

Updated my tired old wheels - when I bought the bike last year the previous owner had left them in a shocking state :smirk:

Holy crap man! Did the last owner live under the sea or something!

Looks better now!

Josh

• Bazzaboy7

TT Member

65 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 12:37 AM

Holy crap man! Did the last owner live under the sea or something!

Looks better now!

Josh

Cheers Josh .... No - he did an enduro in Wales :lol: last spring and the bike stopped halfway round. He tried (in vain) to get it going again, got pi$$ed off with it and left it to rot !! :smirk: Luckily I found it and brought it back to life :bonk: Really enjoyed it too - nearly ready for MOT on Saturday which means I can use it on UK roads :lol: can't wait !

• YZ450Hombre

TT Bronze Member

184 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 21, 2012 - 08:34 AM

New chain & sprockets.Posted Image

• davidl9999

TT Addict

3,907 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Put a No-Toil pre-lubed filter in it (which is a little cheezy on the mating surface, so plenty of marine grease went on it) and went for a ride on the ranch.

Fwiw, I've used UNI filters forever, but with the last UNI, the seams just seemed to disintegrate after a good cleaning. What's up with THAT??? :smirk:

• Bazzaboy7

TT Member

65 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 05:15 AM

Picked up, then fitted a new (to me) Bills Pipes Thunder Series tailpipe :lol:
Posted Image

All I can say is WOW :bonk: what a beautiful noise !!!!! :smirk:

Feel sorry for anyone behind me - but that's their problem ....................... try to get in front !! :lol:

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 26, 2012 - 08:00 AM

Updated my tired old wheels - when I bought the bike last year the previous owner had left them in a shocking state :lol:

A lot of elbow grease and preparation and I think they look 100% better :lol:
Posted Image

:smirk: :bonk: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bonk:

Nice! I love the look of black wheels.

I was actually pretty pissed off to find out that my pre-ordered 2012 WR-450 has silver wheels, but the damn European model has Black. Grrrrrr.

• Bazzaboy7

TT Member

65 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Nice! I love the look of black wheels.

I was actually pretty pissed off to find out that my pre-ordered 2012 WR-450 has silver wheels, but the damn European model has Black. Grrrrrr.

Cheers - it's getting better all the time - just added a new pipe .......... sounds lovely (probably be a bit too attractive to the fuzz though :smirk: )
Would love to have a 2012 wr-450 with any coloured wheels :lol: double jealous !!! :bonk: Enjoy it !!

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 11:02 AM

New chain & sprockets.Posted Image

Always loved the blue and gold look!

• ack1961

TT Member

95 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 06:15 AM

I was fortunate enough to meet Rob (ur2silly) and his lovely wife yesterday.
Rob offered to help me diagnose the starter issue on my '03 WR450, so I loaded it up and drove down to meet him.

He really knows his stuff and showed me a lot, and isolated the cause to my starter motor. Only 1 of the 4 commutator sleeves had any readable resistance. Getting it out of the frame was a lesson all in itself.

We fixed a few odds and ends on the bike, put the starter motor back on, kicked it and rode about 30 miles through some nice trails and an old sand quarry.
Fun stuff, and he's a real solid rider. His wife rode along with us on a 4x4 and made quick work of the terrain as well. Really nice folks, and I can't thank Rob enough for offering this help to a complete stranger - proving that good folks still exist.

Like I mentioned, I "need" a starter motor now, so I'll be looking for an '04 setup (starter, gear assy & cover) to replace the '03.
If anyone has one they want to sell, or sees one online, give me a shout - I'll be looking for one.
I know it's not essential to ride the bike, but the e-start was helping this old man (post knee surgeries) get the beast running.

Thanks again, Rob.

• Rich_in_Orlando

TT Platinum Member

1,626 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 07:46 PM

-new brake pads front and rear
-2 new gears and a new shift fork in the transmission
-new main bearings and a new WR426 con rod
-new 426 piston and cylinder
-new timing chain
-bunch of new seals and o-rings
-5 angle valve job with new valves and valve guide seals
-cylinder head ported
-adjusted fuel screw out and set idle speed to "purr"
-broke in the new rings and cylinder
-grinned

• jw423

TT Member

81 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:23 PM

I've been slaving away in the garage for a couple of days now. I really need to quit being so picky or just get faster. The front end is all back together and the swing arm is done. Rear wheel and the motor and I'll have it all ready for another year of riding. Can't wait.

How often do you clean out all the bearings and repack? I have been doing it every year now, I think I'll go to every other year? The grease has looked great and no rust starting. Looks way better than when I did it from the factory.

• flynz

TT Member

67 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 05:10 AM

I believe the people who have the bearing problems ride where its muddy all the time and or use a pressure washer to clean their ride. I have always used a garden hose and never a problem. I regrease about once every 3 years. The grease and bearings always looks good I do use a high quality moly grease from Scheaffer's. :smirk:

I've been slaving away in the garage for a couple of days now. I really need to quit being so picky or just get faster. The front end is all back together and the swing arm is done. Rear wheel and the motor and I'll have it all ready for another year of riding. Can't wait.

How often do you clean out all the bearings and repack? I have been doing it every year now, I think I'll go to every other year? The grease has looked great and no rust starting. Looks way better than when I did it from the factory.

• YZ450Hombre

TT Bronze Member

184 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 02, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImageRetro-fit the old header guard to the Power Bomb header

• W R
5,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 02, 2012 - 07:04 PM

Nice!

• W R
5,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 04, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Put new shoes on the 06 and did some fine tweaking on the controls of the 11. Gotta have everything just so for a ride in the morning.

• wrwest

TT Bronze Member

169 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 10:40 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImageRetro-fit the old header guard to the Power Bomb header

Where did you get the brakets that the clamps hold down and the gaurd screw into?

• YZ450Hombre

TT Bronze Member

184 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 05, 2012 - 07:08 AM

As you can see in this picture the stock header is trashed. I cut off the mounting brackets, then used a die grinder to cut in some slots for the hose clamps.Posted Image

• still2smokin
3,231 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 05, 2012 - 11:23 AM

What a killer idea ! Talk about good timing I am just about to order a powerbomb because my pipe has a nasty twist in
it just like that one and I dont wanna drop the $100 on the eline carbon fiber guard.

• pschiess

TT Gold Member

1,225 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 06, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Installed a GPR Steering Damper. Giving it a try to see how I like it compared to the Scotts I had on my other bike. Now I need to figure out some way to pad it for personal protection. Any suggestions?

Posted Image

• W R
5,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 07, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Worked 12 hours Monday, got off at 4, went to the bank, picked up my trailer from home along with the 14 year old, left the house at 5 and drove 350 miles round trip to pick up his new 08 WR450F!!!!!!!! Got home at midnight and back to work by 6.

Can't wait to go riding this weekend with a new toy to the collection.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

• Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

• 7 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.