* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4430 replies to this topic
  • Bazzaboy7

TT Member

65 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Wow that does look really good. So I see you do not have any blinkers. Don't you need them in the UK to make your bike street legal? If you decide to put some on look at the ones on this web site(sicassracing.com) they have some blinkers that are really sick. I switched to them in 2008 and have never broke one yet and tons of people on here have done the same. I am sure if you do put blinkers on then you could probably find someone in the UK selling something similar.

Really nice work though. It is like getting a new bike all over again.

Thanks for the link - they do look good don't they ?
In the UK you don't need them - if you have them they must work - that's all :smirk:
I may upgrade further to add some ... I'll see how it goes - if I do I will definitely get some similar to those you mentioned - thanks again :bonk:

It really is like getting a new bike again - silly as it's all behind me when I'm on it - but I guess that's all everyone else gets to see :banana:

Keep on keepin' on - Baz :busted:

• Sknight

TT Bronze Member

151 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 03:35 PM

Finally finished the back end overhaul! Made the mistake of trying to support my local brick and mortar by getting the swingarm bearings from them. Only took four days. Could have gotten them cheaper and faster online but hey it's what I get for trying to support the little guy, right?

I hate to say it but this thing has started to lose it's luster, I'm working on it as much as riding and I don't get to ride it very much. Probably gonna hit the block in the next few days if I don't wake up feeling better about it.

Oh well, that's life.

• rholbrook

TT Bronze Member

138 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 04:10 PM

All those days of loading it and riding it are catching up to you. Its time to give it back some TLC.

• tomk

TT Member

61 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 05:03 PM

This is what I have been working on for the past 3 months, almost done now, video is a few weeks old now

• Sknight

TT Bronze Member

151 posts

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:24 PM

All those days of loading it and riding it are catching up to you. Its time to give it back some TLC.

Well problem is I paid too much for a worn out bike that hadn't gotten it's proper TLC in.....well ever I think. It looked good, what I could see looked and felt really good. It started pretty well. I've taken it out serious dirtin once. The rest is putting around here. It had just been neglected, as in it had no oil when I got it home. None. It took one solid quart to get it on the stick none. I know that it got a full days thrashing just before I got it, I test rode it ten miles then putted around here a couple of miles before I got the book out and did the oil check dance. No kidding, one quart to make it touch the stick. I know the guy, I thought he had that covered. Not this time.

The front wheel bearings? Bone dry. Head bearings? Not much better. Water pump seal puked after a week, goes through near as much oil as gas, found the bearings in every moving part of the back half except the rear wheel in awful shape, string cheese still in the swingarm linkage. This spring will include a ring job if the cylinder is in serviceable condition.

Caveat emptor. I paid about $700 too much by my estimate. Considering I have only 20ish off road miles on her it just seems I'm absolving a lot of other peoples sins. I expected to take care of a few things, not need to overhaul the bike.

Just whining I guess, money is simply too tight (Got a kid going to college next year, killing myself trying to pay off as much as possible.) for these problems, my wife already declared that I'm going dirting next week whether I like it or not, maybe that will make me feel better.

• CaocaoWR

TT Member

30 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 12:48 AM

I did it a few days a go to check for some crack under the engine case:smirk:
Luckily, it was just a small scratch!
Posted Image

• ack1961

TT Member

95 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 05:07 AM

Wadded a chain last ride, so I put on:
Moose HPO 520 O-ring chain
Moose 50T Aluminum (blue) rear w/ Moose lock Bolt kit
Moose 14T Moly/Steel front
Chain guide

Prior to that ride, I had just put on new ProTaper SE bars and PT grips.
I need to cut them down a bit - too wide for the tight pinewoods.

• rholbrook

TT Bronze Member

138 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:20 AM

My riding group or should I say a scaled down version of my riding group went to Moab last week. I had a Christmas party on my wife's side so I didnt get to go but this is some of what I missed.

Dead Cow Tube on the backside of White Wash Sand Dunes drains into the Green River. Last year I crashed and tore my MCL at the bottom of this trail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• flynz

TT Member

67 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Installed FMF Power Core 4.1 Titanium and Power Bomb Header:cheers:, sounds good can't to take it for a spin weather sucks today:cry:.

Was a great buy for $180 on Ebay:thumbsup:.

Got to take it for a quick spin after putting in winter needle.Wow:jawdrop:What a difference the the exhaust system made. Looking forward to go riding now:ride::bonk:.

• dailydR1ver

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 05:32 PM

I bought the parts separately from Ebay
UFO WR/YZ rear mudguard UFO code: YA02897089 @ £26.00 GBP
VISION MX RFX LED tail light @ £19.39 GBP
A few plastic bumper-trim clips and that's it.

Glad U like it :bonk:

So that would make it an '02 YZ fender?

• Sknight

TT Bronze Member

151 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:09 PM

Rode the fire out of her, went really hard bottom of the frame first into a tree then decided to give her a bath tomorrow. I'm worn out!

• Bazzaboy7

TT Member

65 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 03:05 AM

So that would make it an '02 YZ fender?

Yes - that's right ............. you gonna get one ? They are a fantastic fit - really easy ! :bonk:

If you do - take some pix ..... Baz

• zlathim

This new stuff was all my idea.

735 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Crashed doing a hill climb today. Ended up rendering both front adn read brakes inoperable with the one get off. The front lever snapped off near the pivot, not enough left ot even get one finger on. The rear brake lever got bent bad, and the master cylinder push rod yanked itself clear out of the master. Also ripped up my fairly new pillow top grip on the throttle side. That lasted all of two rides...

Ordered some used parts off e-bay a few minutes ago. Hope the wife doesn't find out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by zlathim, January 02, 2012 - 08:56 PM.
added pics

• loco4x4

TT Bronze Member

490 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Crashed doing a hill climb today. Ended up rendering both front adn read brakes inoperable with the one get off. The front lever snapped off near the pivot, not enough left ot even get one finger on. The rear brake lever got bent bad, and the master cylinder push rod yanked itself clear out of the master. Also ripped up my fairly new pillow top grip on the throttle side. That lasted all of two rides...

Ordered some used parts off e-bay a few minutes ago. Hope the wife doesn't find out.

At least you didn't break your arm on your ride. You can't hide that from the wife:smirk:

• zlathim

735 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 08:55 PM

At least you didn't break your arm on your ride. You can't hide that from the wife:smirk:

Very true!

BTW- Thanks again for the decomp lever and perch. They actually survived the crash!!

• loco4x4

TT Bronze Member

490 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 09:02 PM

I run the Cycra Racing ProBend hand guards. Once they went on my bike and my daughter's bike, we haven't broken any more clutch or front brake levers.

I'm surprised that you could tear up the rear brake lever where it could take out the piston into the master cylinder. Do you have a picture of the damage?

• loco4x4

TT Bronze Member

490 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Very true!

BTW- Thanks again for the decomp lever and perch. They actually survived the crash!!

Excellent!

• zlathim

735 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 08:39 AM

I run the Cycra Racing ProBend hand guards. Once they went on my bike and my daughter's bike, we haven't broken any more clutch or front brake levers.

I'm surprised that you could tear up the rear brake lever where it could take out the piston into the master cylinder. Do you have a picture of the damage?

I have some handguards, but I don't really like them because my hand feels squished when they are installed. I might have to think about putting them back on.

The master cylinder pushrod has a washer and a snap ring that capture it in the bore. The snap ring keeps the washer in the bore. The washer is situated kind of like a collar around the pushrod. The hole in the washer is smaller than the outside diameter of the knob on the pushrod, so the washer is captured on the narrow stem portion of the pushrod. The snap ring contains the washer which in turns contains the pushrod. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but you can see how the pushrod is supposed to look in the image below:

Posted Image

When my brake lever was getting shoved up, the pushrod got yanked out past the washer and snap ring. You can see the pushrod and the washer are seperate in this picture:

Posted Image

That put the pushrod on the outside looking in so to speak, and my rear brake lever would not depress. It made for an interesting ride back to the staging area since I now had no way to activate either the front or rear brakes:banghead:

• flynz

TT Member

67 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 02:54 AM

Did that happen out at Paradise?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• elcubeo

TT Member

89 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 05:58 AM

I put a brake snake on my pedal so that doesnt happen. This may scare me enough to try to fabricate a brake pedal stop like the Endurocross bikes are using now. Basically it is a poly or aluminum block that fits into the swingarm pivot recess in the frame. Most that I have seen are using a handguard bar end lock to hold this block into the hollow end of the swingarm pivot bolt.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.