* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4428 replies to this topic
  • byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 08:04 AM

Went for my first ride on my new 2008 WR450, (havnt ridden a moto since i was a a kid) love the bike to death! Very mild mannered for a beginner, i was expecting it to be more wild at all rev ranges (i stayed low to mid for a lot of today) which is great, but still gets up and boogies when you twist it (had to back off a couple of times to get the front wheel back down) love it
Josh

Have you done the throttle stop screw mod yet? If not, you haven't seen nothing yet!
:eek:

• four_button_arnie

TT Newbie

15 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 07:47 PM

Have you done the throttle stop screw mod yet? If not, you haven't seen nothing yet!
:eek:

LOL no, from what ive read I think ill wait a while before doing the scary mods! Sounds like you can really open these things up

Josh

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 11:17 PM

LOL no, from what ive read I think ill wait a while before doing the scary mods! Sounds like you can really open these things up

Josh

haha...yeah you sure can, i still havn't done the Hotcams but i've done everything else including a quickturn throttle tube and the first time back on the track after doing all of it i couldn't stop from wheeling out of corners and standing it stright in the air off jumps :eek:

today i removed the rear fender decal cause the white turned red in the sun somehow... tomorrow i've got to straighten the front fender cause the cover i had over it + the heat cause it to fold over :smirk:

• Icelandic_amateur

TT Member

43 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 12, 2011 - 05:09 AM

I feel like hit by a truck after an all day ride last wednesday, I'm even eating Astazan to try to recover.
As I lost all fluid off the radiator, I need to put a new antifreeze on it. - I have been buying some xtra expensive motorcycle fluid that has boiling point of +265°F. - But perhaps a regular antifreeze does the same anyway.
Well, as I have a temperature gauge, I could see that the heat of the water went upto 141 °C, so no wonder I lost the coolant.

I'm also going to change the oil, cause of this overheating.

As I was exhausted during the ride, a friend of mine switched bikes with me. He lent me his KTM 400 EXE (2006). - What a difference through the rough part. I often stall the WR 450 in rough conditions, but it rarely happened on the KTM. - It has a smooth power delivery, but the WR 450 is more like all or nothing witch makes it loose track in loose, hilly conditions. I also loved the hydrolic clutch and the suspension is smoother.

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Josh

Good call! It's always good to get to know your ride before tapping its full potential. :eek:

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 04:15 PM

Got the tags for both my WR's today! :eek:

• ArcticWR400

TT Bronze Member

146 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 03:35 PM

On my '99WR400 installed and wired new headlight, front fender, kickstand, and left side hand grip, because it always smacks a tree or gets laid down on a rock and the normal rubber ones rip, resulting in moisture under the grip and the grip slipping around on me. :eek:

Headlight: http://www.polisport...dutos.php?ID=43
Fender: http://www.polisport...tos.php?ID=6693
Kickstand: http://www.trailtech...5002-YZ-WR.html
Grip: http://www.odigrips....nhillgrips.aspx

My Baby:
Posted Image

Edited by ArcticWR400, August 18, 2011 - 12:32 PM.
Fixed Links

• CanadianWR450

TT Bronze Member

374 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 03:53 PM

Got out for a run, and ended up doing more back road pavement then dirt, and...it was fun!
I can see tires being a serious issue though :eek:

• ack1961

TT Member

95 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 04:42 AM

Rode my '03 WR450 for the first time in the NC woods. Gobs of power!
It's quite a bit different from the 2 strokes I usually ride around here.
I can't get it to chug the way I'd like, so maybe I'll start a thread to get some answers to some setup questions.
I shot some video and we had a laugh as I was tossed around a bit and stalled it several times.

• ArcticWR400

TT Bronze Member

146 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 12:33 PM

Buy a weighted flywheel and check your jetting. :eek:

• four_button_arnie

TT Newbie

15 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 02:53 AM

mmmm went for a 40km ride, starting to get used to the bike, wicked.
Came ripping round a corner on some local single track and had to jump on the anchors real hard, lol there was a 6 foot snake spread across the track, scared the crap outa me!

Josh

• CanadianWR450

TT Bronze Member

374 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hooked up a pressure switch for the rear brake light, added a mirror, and a street legal plate and registration :eek: :smirk:
LOVING the DS thing......
Have discovered the following two facts:
The Dunlop MX51 is not going to last long on the rear (I have a brand new Maxxis Desert IT sitting in the garage however, which I KNOW will last a lot better.)

The 14/48 gearing combo needs to be a bit taller. Considering a 15/50 or a 15/48 setup...leaning towards 15/48, but not completely made up my mind against the 15/50 just yet....

I need to do 100 KM/H or 60-65 MPH COMFORTABLY ( well comfortably for the engine anyway).

• BKRacing

TT Bronze Member

465 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Raced it at Glen Helen.

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 08:27 PM

think i sold it... :) :lol: :)

if i did what do you guys think about this photoshop i had done on my 99?
Posted Image

Edited by redswr, August 21, 2011 - 08:56 PM.

• ArcticWR400

TT Bronze Member

146 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 11:26 AM

Not today but Friday Evening I...

Tightened up my gear selector lever... don't know how I noticed it was loose but thank GOD i found it before i went riding again. :lol:

Then proceeded to get it stuck 3 times in the last 30 mins of a 3 hour long, intense woods ride... twice in boggy peat moss, once in a tree after extricating it from boggy peat moss...:);)

Talk about tricky... try getting a 300 lb bike out of a tree when its back tire is 5 feet in the air without flipping it backwards or dropping on yourself. ;)

Went home, drank almost 2 litres of water, then hosed her down, looked her over for damage (all good). waddled upstairs for a nap. Rider's arse... :)

• ArcticWR400

TT Bronze Member

146 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 10:53 AM

Went for a night ride last night after adjusting my new headlight and rewiring the high beam off and the low beam on... no longer lighting up the night sky, have a usable beam spread in front of me. Not as nice as i will have later on when I finally replace the stator for more output, but better than it ever has been. :lol: Cops even complimented me on the install... lol. they pulled over while i was fiddling on the side of the road. Little do they know I have no blinkers or brake lights... or a speedo. :)

• tribalbc

TT Addict

4,971 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 11:16 AM

Went for a night ride last night after adjusting my new headlight and rewiring the high beam off and the low beam on... no longer lighting up the night sky, have a usable beam spread in front of me. Not as nice as i will have later on when I finally replace the stator for more output, but better than it ever has been. :) Cops even complimented me on the install... lol. they pulled over while i was fiddling on the side of the road. Little do they know I have no blinkers or brake lights... or a speedo. :)

Were abouts in the NWT's are you?
Cops couldn't care much except insurance up there, it's light all the time in the summer anyways :lol:

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 04:36 PM

fired it up and rode it for the first time in 4 years!!!! :) now i can get to work on the photoshop (as seen above) as soon as i get money for my 07! Anyone have opinions on the 99 (as seen above)?

• grizzzly

TT Bronze Member

138 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 07:48 PM

did about a 100 mile loop
Posted Image

• ArcticWR400

TT Bronze Member

146 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Were abouts in the NWT's are you?
Cops couldn't care much except insurance up there, it's light all the time in the summer anyways :)

In Yellowknife, and yea. insurance is the big thing. Street legal or offroad legal is still allowed on the roads in NWT. love it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.