* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4430 replies to this topic
  • miweber929

TT Silver Member

596 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 04:38 AM

Your best bet may be to get a used 99 carb and rob parts. They aren't in that high demand and I'd guess you can find a worn one cheap that will have the correct parts on eBay.

Otherwise "upgrade" to a newer style one at tge same time. Probably not too much more $$$$.

• CanadianWR450

TT Bronze Member

374 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 04:29 AM

Spring is finally here (STILL snow on the trails though), and I figured I'd try to make the ol bike look a bit better this year.

On the truck, and looking a bit worse for wear.
Posted Image

Got some stuff...
Posted Image

The final "Before" shots.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Rads have seen better days.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Off with the old...
Posted Image

New front tire, number plate, fork sliders, and checking the valves.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, here is where we start running into problems. I ordered in a set of Myler's supercools. They sent me 2 left side rads. They were very upset at the mistake, sent a right side out asap...covered my custom's fee's, whole 9 yards. The new right side rad "looked" ok...however, when trying to mount....
Looks good eh??
Posted Image

Look again....
Posted Image
Posted Image

And the REAL good ones...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Left side however, went on pretty damn slick, with only minimal tweaking.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The only thing I can figure with the right side rad is that it isn't the right rad. I can't imagine they got it that far out in the Jig, and through QA, etc....
Anyway, as said, when they originally made a boo boo and sent me the two left sides, and no right, they fixed it up ASAP. I emailed them today including pics, and assume they will again fix it up, but it IS a drag having to go through the process 3 times to get the right rads, with shipping, customs, etc....

I'll post up more pics as we keep working on it, with all new fenders, graphics, etc....

• 2006wr450f

TT Bronze Member

322 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 07:31 AM

Changed the oil and filter on her today.

• ofgofg

TT Member

79 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 08:05 AM

I went for a ride in the dirt before it rained again! Very nice. I think the wr450 is the perfect bike.

• allupinsydeyou

TT Bronze Member

148 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 08:30 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

wr 400 supermoto of mines.

• jwalk91

TT Newbie

7 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 05:13 PM

I disconnected the grey wire in my 98 and now I'm wondering what I had been waiting for!!!!

I also put a "cool" billet gas tank breather on it I had sitting around! :smirk:

• Flagstaff

TT Titanium Member

2,719 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 08:12 PM

Yah, I rode mine, best thing to do to a WR450!

• flynz

TT Member

67 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:05 AM

Took it out of garage to find out my son blew the fork seal while I was TDY.:smirk:

• Shred Jesse

TT Silver Member

707 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:09 PM

Posted Image

Took it to the Albany Oregon MX park today. Cleared some doubles, passed some people, and while I'm in no way fast, I'm a happy happy shredder!

Oh yeah, and it magically stopped shooting flames for some reason. NO idea what that is about!

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:48 PM

replaced the clutch cable on my 99... still trying to get rid of my 07 with no luck :-( need to get it gone so i can fix the 99 up and sell it too

• MANIAC998
4,961 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 22, 2011 - 03:46 AM

Decided to put my stock 45 pilot jet back in the carb. Pulled the fuel/air screw and dropped the metal washer somewhere. Looked, & looked & looked & looked & looked........ you get the picture! A few hours later, and many cuss words, finally found it and reinstalled. To late in the day to fire it up, but everything should be good to go. Maniac

• ofgofg

TT Member

79 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 07:29 AM

yesterday, I rode the shite out of my 450 on some fast 2 track, and over about a mile of 2 foot wide ridgeline. After getting super tired, I made the mistake of letting it ride me down a steep hill, and again rounding a corner in a first gear single track. Theres nothing like having to pick up a 260 pound bike on a hillside when your already beat! We finally made it to our little ghost town,, a bunch of ancient foundations from the coal mining days. By then the bike was boiling a little bit, but never lost any coolant! So, we let the bikes cool, hiked up to the mine shaft,, rain and darkness were closing in. Back in the saddle,, both bike and rider well rested,,, struggle through the rocky single track,, no spills this time,, and on to a well rutted, whooped out, 2 track. Now I'm teaching the big blue bike a lesson! whipping it hard and pounding over hard pack rough stuff with occasional rock gardens to exercise the brakes a bit. Back to the truck with my riding partner trailing a good half mile behind,,, which is a nice change because its usually me trailing behind his 250 smoker. That was a good ride.

• rholbrook

TT Bronze Member

138 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 11:36 AM

Its time to update my street legal gear for my 06 so I can get it license this year. It seems like in Utah I am hitting a moving target as far as keeping up with what I need to do to stay legal.

I purchased some Tusk LED Blinkers, Tusk Switch, Tusk blinker and wiring harness from anarchysports.com They never had the stuff listed on their website so I emailed Caleb there and he was able to get them for me cheaper than I could get at RMATV. I have bought some things from Anarchy before and liked their service. I took some pictures but I can't attach them.
Posted Image
[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/rholbrook22/WR/IMG_0574.jpg
[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/rholbrook22/WR/IMG_0572.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/rholbrook22/WR/IMG_0570.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/rholbrook22/WR/IMG_0568.jpg[/IMG]
I had to fabricate a metal bracket for the left side front blinker because I didn't want to drill a hole in the plastic so I made a bracket that goes where the front headlight plastic connects to the shock mount. Worked great, for the other side I just used my horn bracket.

I was also really tired of my ass hurting when I would go riding so I followed the steps on this website
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=81977&highlight=seat&page=4

Now it doesn't feel like I am sitting on a 1x4.

Went for a short 1 hour ride and so far so good. Can't wait to ride it this coming weekend in Southern Utah.

Small List of Mods to my WR:
YZ Throttle Stop
Rev Limiter Wire disconnected
Smog crap off of it
Airbox opened up
RevLok DynaRing
06 YZ Exhaust Cam
Acerbis Bark Busters
Extra padding in the seat
Tusk Street Legal add-ons
Lots of hours jetting it correctly

Edited by rholbrook, May 24, 2011 - 11:51 AM.
Add Pictures

• YamaLink

TT Addict

4,043 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 11:51 AM

New shift shaft seal. Didn't need it but since my YZ250 was leaking it was a one-stop shop at the dealer. A little preventative care on the ol' WR instead of waiting for the uh-oh moment.

• ofgofg

TT Member

79 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 12:29 PM

I have the same multiswitch, front led blinkers, and horn on my supermoto. Works great! The dirtbike will eventually get the same equipment when it gets titled.

• Derwud

TT Silver Member

573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 24, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Its time to update my street legal gear for my 06 so I can get it license this year. It seems like in Utah I am hitting a moving target as far as keeping up with what I need to do to stay legal.

I purchased some Tusk LED Blinkers, Tusk Switch, Tusk blinker and wiring harness from anarchysports.com They never had the stuff listed on their website so I emailed Caleb there and he was able to get them for me cheaper than I could get at RMATV. I have bought some things from Anarchy before and liked their service. I took some pictures but I can't attach them.
Posted Image
[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/rholbrook22/WR/IMG_0574.jpg
[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/rholbrook22/WR/IMG_0572.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/rholbrook22/WR/IMG_0570.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/rholbrook22/WR/IMG_0568.jpg[/IMG]
I had to fabricate a metal bracket for the left side front blinker because I didn't want to drill a hole in the plastic so I made a bracket that goes where the front headlight plastic connects to the shock mount. Worked great, for the other side I just used my horn bracket.

I was also really tired of my ass hurting when I would go riding so I followed the steps on this website
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=81977&highlight=seat&page=4

Now it doesn't feel like I am sitting on a 1x4.

Went for a short 1 hour ride and so far so good. Can't wait to ride it this coming weekend in Southern Utah.

Small List of Mods to my WR:
YZ Throttle Stop
Rev Limiter Wire disconnected
Smog crap off of it
Airbox opened up
RevLok DynaRing
06 YZ Exhaust Cam
Acerbis Bark Busters
Extra padding in the seat
Tusk Street Legal add-ons
Lots of hours jetting it correctly

The seat mod and rebuild thread are also posted on this website.

• Derwud

TT Silver Member

573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 24, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Fist I did this, and posted it here

dual-sport-conversion-adventures/

Dual Sport Conversion Adventures
Toys Hi-lite — By dskelton on May 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

It all started when my brother bought a dual sport bike and talked about taking an adventure up the California coast. Well there I was sitting there thinking, Darn I got this nice 2007 WR450F and no money to buy a second bike! What’s a poor guy to do? Well I started looking around at converting my bike to a dual sport. I’m going to spend the summer, (So Cal slow time for riding) building my Dual Sport.

I wanted something simple, but complete. I checked all the companies and stores. I saw this guy selling D/S kits on E-Bay and at Rocky Mountain ATV. What I liked about his kits is that the kit did not require a stator mod, so there are no other ups or extras. So I contacted Roy at Ryco Motorsports and told him what I wanted. He said no problem, I can make you a kit with turn signals in handguards and smaller rear Turn Signal assemblies. I also asked for his stop/ignition and start switch. He said he will box everything up and ship it out. He said the kits are complete and come with everything I need except tools! He was right, I didn’t even need tie straps.

After giving the mail man the evil eye every day he didn’t bring my kit, it finally arrived. I quickly unloaded the box and laid everything out to see what was there, (I of course had to take a picture of it.) I read through instructions and started putting everything together. First thing I noticed, it is a complete kit and the instructions are very well done.

I went out to the bike and started working. I took off the headlight, seat, and tank. I started in the back and worked forward (No, I didn’t follow the instructions, step by step, but it was okay). I installed the license plate bracket and rear turn signals, (when the instructions say use the shorter screw in the front hole, for sake of your rear fender, use the shorter screw!) They have you reuse the factory clamp for the wiring and that worked well. I moved on to the brake light switch and that was simple enough as well. You wire the brake light using the power to the taillight so it’s an easy two wire install! I flushed and bleed the brakes while I was doing this. I then got the wires for the rear turn signals and ran them towards the front. This is my one and only watch it, the wires are made to run in one direction only, make sure you have the right connectors and wire color combos. Next came the new switches, the main switch includes the head lights, turn signals, and horn and it is pre-wired to complete the install. I got the main switch installed and ran the harness to behind the headlight. I then installed the ign/starter switch and installed the connectors and pins. Last thing to install was the handguards/turn signals, with that done it was time to finish the wiring. The last connections were easy, 8 connections for the turn signals, 2 horn connections, 1 pin into the head light connector, and 2 quick connects for power and ground. I reassembled the bike and made sure everything was working correctly. Well I am happy to say it all worked/works perfectly!

And then I removed the Stator to send to Ricky Stator to get rewound for more lights. will install this weekend!

• ofgofg

TT Member

79 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 08:47 AM

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the hand guard blinkers. Was going to buy a set on ebay, but went with little LED arrow blinkers instead. My supermoto has nice aluminum hand guards, but the dirt bike will need some. Also interested in the wiring harness. My supermoto was a real bear to wire up using the same multiswitch pictured above. I would eventually like to rewire it completely. Would like to do up the dirtbike in a simpler way,, the first time round!

• allupinsydeyou

TT Bronze Member

148 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 06:03 PM

finished my custom dual exhaust on my wr today.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• LIVETOSHRED

TT Bronze Member

122 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Looked at the pile of parts and sighed. :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

98 WR 400 Project by Justin Steele

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.