* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4429 replies to this topic
  • redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 05:39 PM

started taring the 99 down some more and realized after a gallon or so of gas leaked all over the garage that the petcock isn't working :thumbsup: then i try to remove the tank and every bolt is different and rounded off or so rusted i had to go a size up... this is gonna be more of a project than i wanted....lol. i don't think it was in this bad of shape when i originally had it :thumbsup: anyone know where i can find a full bolt kit? hopefully the threads are messed up in the frame

• Shred Jesse

TT Silver Member

707 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 11:26 PM

Took out my WR400F after installing the FMF powercore 4 exhaust (with the FMF powerbomb header I already had).

Sure enough... the bog is now back. Very minutely, and not nearly as bad as before, but it's definitely back. Time to focus on jetting I guess?

EDIT: The issue is only at idle? Perhaps the idle mixture is off?

• bulldog1331

TT Bronze Member

214 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 12:56 PM

These dang long winters give me lots of time to think about what I want to throw at the money pit...
Revloc Dynaring
LHRB
RaceTech 6.0 rear shock spring
Trailtech Vector
Cycra Probend handgaurds
Protaper Pillowtop grips
G2 cam'd throttle tube
FX graphics

Good thing spring is finally here...:thumbsup:

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Took out my WR400F after installing the FMF powercore 4 exhaust (with the FMF powerbomb header I already had).

Sure enough... the bog is now back. Very minutely, and not nearly as bad as before, but it's definitely back. Time to focus on jetting I guess?

Try turning in your air/fuel half a turn and your idle up half a turn...

• Shred Jesse

TT Silver Member

707 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 01:35 PM

Try turning in your air/fuel half a turn and your idle up half a turn...

Will do!

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 02:27 PM

Will do!

actually on my 07 some how the air/fuel screw backed out all the way and fell out :thumbsup: i put a new one in and turned it out 3 turns i believe and the bike would bog and die. i kept turning it out untill it was barely hanging there and the bike ran perfect till of course it fell out again. worked on it for a couple hours in the desert then a buddy came and had to turn the idle up like 4 turns! then it's been running great ever since :thumbsup:

• off_road_4_me

Get Help Now

7,367 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 02:37 PM

started taring the 99 down some more and realized after a gallon or so of gas leaked all over the garage that the petcock isn't working :thumbsup: then i try to remove the tank and every bolt is different and rounded off or so rusted i had to go a size up... this is gonna be more of a project than i wanted....lol. i don't think it was in this bad of shape when i originally had it :thumbsup: anyone know where i can find a full bolt kit? hopefully the threads are messed up in the frame

http://www.btosports.com/p/MXBOLTKIT

• shelbyguy

TT Member

77 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 04:56 AM

you should send me that powerbomb header.

you dont wanna mess with jetting...my header is really smashed up.

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 07:47 AM

actually on my 07 some how the air/fuel screw backed out all the way and fell out :cheers: i put a new one in and turned it out 3 turns i believe and the bike would bog and die. i kept turning it out untill it was barely hanging there and the bike ran perfect till of course it fell out again. worked on it for a couple hours in the desert then a buddy came and had to turn the idle up like 4 turns! then it's been running great ever since :thumbsup:

Rule of thumb. If you have to back it out more than three turns you need a larger idle jet. :thumbsup:

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Rule of thumb. If you have to back it out more than three turns you need a larger idle jet. :thumbsup:

Yeah some how both screws got adjusted out at the same time cause the bike was set up cherry back in 08 (put on some machine that tests everything) and it never ran bad until the air/fuel fell out.

• rholbrook

TT Bronze Member

138 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 08:30 AM

These dang long winters give me lots of time to think about what I want to throw at the money pit...
Revloc Dynaring
LHRB
RaceTech 6.0 rear shock spring
Trailtech Vector
Cycra Probend handgaurds
Protaper Pillowtop grips
G2 cam'd throttle tube
FX graphics

Good thing spring is finally here...:thumbsup:

The Revloc Dynaring would be my first mod on that list. I love mine and would never go back. You couldn't give me my money back for it.

• Shred Jesse

TT Silver Member

707 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 12:06 PM

you should send me that powerbomb header.

you dont wanna mess with jetting...my header is really smashed up.

If you're on a wr400F and don't have powerbomb header it should be the first thing you do no matter what. It isn't from a performance standpoint, it's from a longevity of your engine standpoint?

Why is it relevant to your engines survival? The stock header makes changing and/or cleaning the oil filter a nightmare, as it requires removing the header... etc etc. It turns a 5 minute job into an hour or more long job, and so most people don't do it frequently enough.

With the powerbomb header, it's out of the way of your oil filter, and you can make it happen no problem!

Oh yeah, and adjusting my idle and air mixture setup a bit seems to have done the trick. I really need to figure out exactly where I'm at though out and see if my pilot needs adjusting. Temperature is a factor as well possibly...

I'll keep experimenting. While there is a very minor and slight hesitation off of idle, when riding, even at a lugging rpm, I can grab throttle and stand the bike straight up no problem.

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 01:19 PM

i ordered grips and a new throttle tube cause my 99 doesn't have either and i need to see if she runs before i put more money into her

• 2in2out

TT Bronze Member

352 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 03:03 PM

:banana:Pulled the Smart Performance trigger. Dave J is doing a phase 4 kit and springs for me. Can't wait:banana:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

TT Titanium Member

2,664 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 06:57 PM

:banana:Pulled the Smart Performance trigger. Dave J is doing a phase 4 kit and springs for me. Can't wait:banana:

You will be VERY happy :cheers: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• tribalbc

TT Addict

4,971 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 07:15 PM

You will be VERY happy :bonk: :cheers: :thumbsup:

All worked good for you then :thumbsup:

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 07:43 PM

Well I tried to put my 07 on the charger so it'd start but it still just clicked... I think it's a relay or something cause I can hear the starter trying to turn. Any helps appricated and I've got another thread going, trying to sell it and the starting issue is a black eye

• davidl9999

TT Addict

3,907 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 10:27 PM

Well I tried to put my 07 on the charger so it'd start but it still just clicked... I think it's a relay or something cause I can hear the starter trying to turn. Any helps appricated and I've got another thread going, trying to sell it and the starting issue is a black eye

Could be a bad connection in the harness or a bad ground. If that's the original battery, it might just be time to replace it. I figure on a battery every couple of years. If you've charged it and when you try to start the bike it pulls the battery below 10.5v and it doesn't immediately come back to 12.6v when you release the start button, then you're battery isn't holding a charge and it's time to replace it.*

* too much bother (imo) to try to regenerate sulfated cells, but some folks try it anyway.

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 10:43 PM

Could be a bad connection in the harness or a bad ground. If that's the original battery, it might just be time to replace it. I figure on a battery every couple of years. If you've charged it and when you try to start the bike it pulls the battery below 10.5v and it doesn't immediately come back to 12.6v when you release the start button, then you're battery isn't holding a charge and it's time to replace it.*

* too much bother (imo) to try to regenerate sulfated cells, but some folks try it anyway.

yeah i'll see what happens to the voltage when i press the button... may have to toss a new battery in. a couple people hit on $3,500 then i dropped to $3,250 when they heard the damage on it... they havn't gotten back and i'd really like to not go cheaper than that cause i'm needing money and how much i need is pushing $3,000 and i'd like to keep some...lol

• Shred Jesse

TT Silver Member

707 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 11:33 AM

Posted Image

Relacing my rear wheel right now! Going to go get a proper spoke wrench! Man oh man were the old spokes destroyed. This should be pretty good though!

After this I don't really have anything I have to do on the bike. I'll probably put a new piston and cam chain in at some point this summer so I can relax knowing my bike is pretty much good to go for a long while!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.