* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4429 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

TT Addict

4,806 posts

Posted October 18, 2007 - 10:04 AM

I just keep looking at mine in the garage often with a tear in my eye... broke my foot 2 weeks ago while racing the Rimrock GP, finished the race 1st in class but it unfortunately I had to have surgery....... now I watch my points lead dwindle hoping I can make the starting line 11/18 for the last race of the season and put the WR on the podium for a series championship :D

In the mean time I am prepping it for a friend to use at the 24hours of Starvation Ridge next weekend, at least the bike will see some action :crazy:

• wakeboardercowboy

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted October 19, 2007 - 07:01 PM

i got my white brothers pipe
mounted my whip mount and led whip
and had some fun

• SFDemo

TT Bronze Member

149 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 20, 2007 - 01:17 PM

I finally got a few free minutes when the wife wasn't directing me. I installed my Trail Tech Vapor, an IMS tank ($49 on eBay) and YZ seat ($20). Oh, yeah, I switched out my rear dual sport wheel for the 19" YZ wheel with the knobby. I need to figure out a magnet for front rim with a knobby already mounted. I ordered a spare set of magnets from Trail Tech. The only real problem was mounting the right radiator shroud, as it didn't line up. (I have a 99 WR400) I also replaced the jam nuts on the chain adjusters. I still have a Dunlop trials tire for the rear to do.

• treecop

TT Bronze Member

100 posts

Posted October 20, 2007 - 10:40 PM

Well not today, but over the last two I have put on graphics, painted my heat shield and wheels by hand (tell me if it is ugly), put new magnet in front wheel for my Trail Tech, cleaned the air filter, and rode up and down my driveway thinking how cool I look!:D

Tomorrow will be busting rust and mud off pipe and then working on my trailer!:crazy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted October 21, 2007 - 10:55 PM

Well not today, but over the last two I have put on graphics, painted my heat shield and wheels by hand (tell me if it is ugly), put new magnet in front wheel for my Trail Tech, cleaned the air filter, and rode up and down my driveway thinking how cool I look!:bonk:

Tomorrow will be busting rust and mud off pipe and then working on my trailer!:applause:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks good! :crazy:

well not today but yesturday, i raced the WORCS Round 11 in Pismo Dunes and got 16th out of 25... alot better than i did last year on my 99 but i feel like i could have done alot better. next race is in 2 weeks so hopefully i can get more mentaly prepared (i just didn't feel like going flat out yesturday for some reason...:D )

• Bleeds_Blue

TT Bronze Member

136 posts

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:55 PM

Re-jetted the dub, test this weekend.:crazy:

• dre3101

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted October 23, 2007 - 06:39 PM

bought the trick dual sport kit, beginning the plate process in tx

after the plates:
ais removal
jd jetting
handguards
BIG spring on the back

• Roostmeifucan

TT Bronze Member

146 posts

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:50 PM

tehe, installed pimpin suspension, super greased swingarm and was able to get a ding out of the header thanks to a lil tip that i recently learnd for tt

Posted Image

• ffstink

TT Newbie

15 posts

Posted October 26, 2007 - 08:45 PM

Dr. D came in the mail today!- Posted Imagehttp://i216.photobuc...83/IMG_1933.jpg

• tmckeown

TT Bronze Member

316 posts

Posted October 27, 2007 - 10:49 AM

Took it out to the track today after all mods and dynoing. It feels great.

Timo McKeown

• erickdj

TT Gold Member

1,236 posts

Posted October 27, 2007 - 02:14 PM

Took it out to the track today after all mods and dynoing. It feels great.

Timo McKeown

What was the outcome at the dyno? What mods do you have on your bike?

• tmckeown

TT Bronze Member

316 posts

Posted October 28, 2007 - 12:13 AM

I'm planning to show it all after I get my little brothers stock WR to the dyno hopefully next week. Then we can see the whole picture. I have been in dyno 6 times in last 2 years and I have been trying to put more power to lower rpm's which I use most anyway. I was doing motoX yesterday and it feels great now. But yeah, what comes to the max. power 54 Hp and 52Nm (38.3ft/lbs) but like I said doing flat out with 5th gear is not a thing I do much in the woods or MotoX.

Mods so far:

1) Jetting (done in dyno)
2) Silmotor compelete exhaust with noisekiller (96db)
3) Cone insert in header
4) head ported
5) Twinair gage and filter
6) Snorkel removed
7) Vortex ignition
8) Hotcams intake cam

Timo McKeown

• erickdj

TT Gold Member

1,236 posts

Posted October 28, 2007 - 07:14 AM

I'm planning to show it all after I get my little brothers stock WR to the dyno hopefully next week. Then we can see the whole picture. I have been in dyno 6 times in last 2 years and I have been trying to put more power to lower rpm's which I use most anyway. I was doing motoX yesterday and it feels great now. But yeah, what comes to the max. power 54 Hp and 52Nm (38.3ft/lbs) but like I said doing flat out with 5th gear is not a thing I do much in the woods or MotoX.

Mods so far:

1) Jetting (done in dyno)
2) Silmotor compelete exhaust with noisekiller (96db)
3) Cone insert in header
4) head ported
5) Twinair gage and filter
6) Snorkel removed
7) Vortex ignition
8) Hotcams intake cam

Timo McKeown

Sounds very good, 54hp is quite impressive. Have you had any luck increasing the bottom-mid power? Also, what is that cone insert in the header? I've never heard of that.

Erick.

• tmckeown

TT Bronze Member

316 posts

Posted October 28, 2007 - 07:48 AM

I can't compare that to a stock bike until I take my little brothers to dyno. When I got mine it had Acrapovic slip-on. So compared to that I have gain 20% increase on torque from 4000 to 6500 rpm's and some less up till 7500.

Porting head gave me power all the way to 11.500 rpm, where stock head stopped at 9500.

Cone in header is made to have more gasflow, this will increase torque.
Cone is done with 6 degree angle and it is about 50mm long. We did last fitting in dyno so it wouldn't limit max. revs or power. Problem is that WR-450 heads exhaust port is way too big and so is headerpipe.

Timo McKeown

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted November 03, 2007 - 03:00 PM

well not much going on today with my WR's... just washing the 07 and cleaning the air filter before my race tomorrow

• Seabass

TT Bronze Member

473 posts

Posted November 04, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I tore the bike down, painted the frame, scotch guarded all aluminum parts, and got all the dust out of the nooks and crannies. Changed the oil and coolant, now I'm just waiting for all the plastics/graphics to get delivered. I'm sellin the '05 and gettin a new bike!!

• dre3101

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted November 04, 2007 - 10:11 PM

over the last week:

added trick dual sport kit
added a license plate mount (used 2 inspection sticker mounts, one reversed and bent at a 60 degree angle)
added led license plate light
added amber license plate blinkers
added quick release for rear license plate mount - whole kit comes off by removing 2 bolts and 2 computer power connectors
retitled, plate on the way

removed the muffler stinger
removed the ais (tt kit)
added the jd jetting kit (4th clip, red, 65 main)
- learned that to properly test jetting, it is important to have gas in the fuel tank... bike tends not to run at all with no fuel... =)

added a 6kg rear spring

added fastway fit system handguards and shields

changed to kenda dot tires front and rear

that's about it.

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted November 04, 2007 - 10:52 PM

well... today i raced and wrecked it. the bike held up good but i got a mild concussion and my right arm doesn't like being moved...lol. its not broke though so thats good. i wrecked about 15 seconds into the 45min. race but was about to get back up and on the bike after 2 failed attemps at standing up (because i was knocked out...) which was pretty scary. i finished (2) 9.5 mile loops and got 9th place so it was a pretty good day.

anyone know who has the WR with the blue TT graphics? i forgot to get his name when i was talking to him.

• JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted November 04, 2007 - 11:16 PM

I smashed the shroud and the bottom tab on the rad. Looks like I've got some bending to do.

• matt4x4

TT Addict

3,167 posts

Posted November 05, 2007 - 05:15 AM

I finally received my N-Style Graphics and put those on, while the tank was off, installed a new plug, still need to refinish the swing arm and install those graphics, as well, I'm picking up a bunch of yammi blue P1 and will likely strip it down over the winter and paint the frame.

As for the KX65 green machine in the other pic - that's how it looked friday morning, sunday morning my son (8 yrs old) decided to tear into it, by mid day, he had it stripped to the frame (needed my help to lift the engine out). By sunday night, he's got the frame cleaned up and sanded and almost ready for paint, this was supposed to be our winter project, but he's gotten a good head start, Mom's allowed him to ride her bike for the next few weeks (crf150f) - kinda wimpy in his eyes, but it'll do. He did tell me it'll be up to me to paint his frame since he'll just get runs, and asked me if I'd tear his engine down and he'll likely figure out how to put it back together thru watching me.
It's pretty fun having a kid who is so into this stuff - I never thought for an instance he'd be able to do all that by himself, guess it just goes to show you can't underestimate your kids or the things they'll pick up through watching you.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

98 WR 400 Project by Justin Steele

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit by Turtlerider

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.