* * * * * 7 votes

What did you do to your WR today?

Yamaha WR400F Yamaha WR450F

4429 replies to this topic
  • JSanfilippo

Get Help Now

8,146 posts

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:02 AM

Added a Boyesen waterpump impeller and housing...

Posted Image

What paint did you use for the clutch and oil filter covers?

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted October 09, 2007 - 12:59 PM

i polished out my clutch cover and oil filter cover... waiting for my suspension to get done at the shop so i can put it on tonight.
Posted Image

• treecop

TT Bronze Member

100 posts

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:27 PM

Waited for my new graphics to arrive. Been forever. :confused: Also dropped the rear wheel off to get a new tube and Maxxis IT tire put on it. Will have it out this weekend.

Reminds me, gotta put a magnet on for the TrailTech cpu.

• Gandalf_WR450

TT Silver Member

602 posts

Posted October 10, 2007 - 08:52 AM

I drained my gas and wheeled it into my woodshop for the winter:cry:
Let the parts ordering and upgrade/repairs begin:applause:

• Charles De Mar

TT Gold Member

1,443 posts

Posted October 10, 2007 - 09:08 AM

Nothing at all! I wonder if it is still in the garage? It threatened to ride away and find someone to pay more attention to it!

• camaro345

TT Member

89 posts

Posted October 10, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Installed new pro taper contour bars (CR Mid), grips, new factory effex Evo 4 graphics on new acerbis shrouds, FCR suspension revalve.

• xr250ryder

TT Bronze Member

159 posts

Posted October 10, 2007 - 02:55 PM

i polished out my clutch cover and oil filter cover... waiting for my suspension to get done at the shop so i can put it on tonight.

Quick question, how did you go about polishing it, did you take off the clutch cover sand it off, then polish it? I want to do it to mine, but don't fully know how and yours looks nice.

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted October 10, 2007 - 04:09 PM

Quick question, how did you go about polishing it, did you take off the clutch cover sand it off, then polish it? I want to do it to mine, but don't fully know how and yours looks nice.

yeah you just need to sand it down with a palm/orbital sander to get the coating off with some 220 or so grit then go all the way down to 1000/1500 to get it as smooth as possible. i used an angle grinder with a buffing wheel and some jewelers rouge till it shined.

all i did was the flat outside surface and the beveled edge around it. i did take it off though so i could get to the under side of it.

• xr250ryder

TT Bronze Member

159 posts

Posted October 10, 2007 - 05:24 PM

thanks alot, ill have to give it a shot after i get some 1000/1500 grit sandpaper

• Bleeds_Blue

TT Bronze Member

136 posts

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:21 PM

Installed 1" risers and FMF pipe.:crazy:

• Birdy426

TT Titanium Member

2,472 posts

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:11 PM

What paint did you use for the clutch and oil filter covers?

Satin black engine enamel from Pep Boys.

• Seabass

TT Bronze Member

473 posts

Posted October 13, 2007 - 10:45 AM

I put on a new chain, rear tire, and clutch cover.

• wakeboardercowboy

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted October 13, 2007 - 11:38 AM

i did the first service and let me tell you the dip stick sucks,, have to run the motor just to get the oil over to read,, next time ill just mesure it out,,

changed to a 12 front sprocket

removed light assembly to install my hid kit when it comes in today,,for those who have tried to find the bulb size here you go,,its a h6m and screw the bike hid kit to much $$$$$$$ ebay h6m hid kit,,and buy the car set,, then you get two and you can get the kit to your door for about 85 bucks...

ordered my double seat bolt whip mount from hrf,, this will mount my new green 66 led 6 foot whip,,75 bucks from ebay,,,gonna run it off my rear light wires,,,

still looking for a ten paddle for it,, have less then two weeks to finish before dumont...

changed grips

• Nostalgic

TT Bronze Member

235 posts

Posted October 13, 2007 - 07:10 PM

'03 WR450 (bought a few months ago): Changed the oil on it for the first time. Cleaned the air filter for the first time. TRIED to change the spark plug. Man is that thing in a tough spot. Do you guys uses a specific tool to get it out???

• Gandalf_WR450

TT Silver Member

602 posts

Posted October 14, 2007 - 09:58 AM

'03 WR450 (bought a few months ago): Changed the oil on it for the first time. Cleaned the air filter for the first time. TRIED to change the spark plug. Man is that thing in a tough spot. Do you guys uses a specific tool to get it out???

Kind of a shocker the first time you do it- you'll get faster. I bought a special spark plug tool for 4-strokes- didnt work worth a darn. Best thing I have found is a pivoting, T handle, automotive spark plug wrench to break it loose, then drop a 3" long piece of thick, black 1/4" fuel line tubing down the opening and press it down and it will grab the plug for rotating it out and really helps for installing new one. The tubing gives you good feel so you dont strip the plug. Blow out the opening with compressed air to get any crud out before you start. Once you see what a crud trap that deep recess is, you take a little more care in cleaning to make sure you dont get any water down there.

• Dominion

TT Member

34 posts

Posted October 14, 2007 - 07:43 PM

Today I went up to el Mirage and rode the piss out of my bike. :D Also showed by buddy whats up with my WR vs his YZ450. Both 07's. He found out painfully that it isn't the bike that makes the rider fast, but the rider. :crazy: Haha. I freakin love this bike

~Brian

• darinspokane

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted October 14, 2007 - 07:47 PM

I winterized mine, including oil change and filter. It was sad but fun

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted October 14, 2007 - 10:07 PM

well today i jumped on the ol' 99 and then jumped it 75' off a dune :crazy:
and on the 07 i rode 100 miles getting her dialed in for the WORCS Round 11 race in Pismo next weekend

ps: now its spa time!!!

• wakeboardercowboy

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted October 14, 2007 - 10:29 PM

more stuff today...
i ordered the white brothers xcr pipe
and im still looking for the k&n kit for it,,,

rode wheelies up and down the street checking out the new 12 front sprocket theres a difference and i still hit it up to 80 mph on an uphill street...cant wait to see what the pipe and right jets can do,,

• redswr

TT Addict

3,473 posts

Posted October 17, 2007 - 10:19 PM

today i made her shine again... had to resand the clutch cover because it had coroded a little bit. then i buffed off the boot marks on the frame. other than that i'm just making sure i got all my stuff in tact for her first race on saturday!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

98 WR 400 Project by Justin Steele

• 0 replies
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.