WR450 Maint Scale

6 replies to this topic
  • Kahuku Spoiled

Posted July 19, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Hello All,

Am new to maint on any kind of motorcycle (oil changes and air filter certified though!), but when I bought my used 06 WR450 I decided I wasn't rich enuff and had to do most of the work over a beer....

Next on my to do list is lubing front and rear...so, question is: on a 1-10 mechanical skill what is a lube job rated--compared to an oil change which is 1 on my scale?

If it's to high, I'll probably drop coin and find me a good local mechanic...thanks for the help...Regards KS

• Mutu

Posted July 19, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Do it yourself regardless.

Lubing everything takes a long time, you litterally break your bike down - relube it, then put it back together.

It is a fair bit harder than an oil change, but nothing is hard to do on these bikes.

• Matt James

Posted July 19, 2007 - 10:00 PM

I lube mine twice a year. My experience has been that if you ride in alot of water or pressure wash alot, you need to really keep an eye one it. The link portion needs it more frequently than the swing arm pivot. I would lube all of it one time and then just do the link every 1000 miles, and the rest every 2000 miles. Its not that hard. Pull the back wheel and mud guard off. Then the brake pedal. You can get the pivot bolt out and take all the linkage out and lube it. The link portion can be done without pulling the rear wheel. Read your manual it tells how to do it. Today I did the linkage in less than a 1/2 hour on a 07 WR450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted July 19, 2007 - 11:32 PM

I'd give it a 4 at worst. That's if you don't have a torque wrench and the 32mm socket for the triple clamp...SC

• WR_Dave

Posted July 20, 2007 - 04:47 AM

A little tip to use when you first begin to expand your skills and learn how to work on your bike yourself is to take a few digital pics from different angles, then as you remove parts lay them out the way they come off ( like the exploded views in your manual ). Take your time and go through one section at a time until they are all done. Don't start this on a Friday night if your riding on Saturday. Lastly make sure all fasteners are tightned properly on reassembly. WR Dave

• PaulButler

Posted July 20, 2007 - 05:06 AM

...then as you remove parts lay them out the way they come off ( like the exploded views in your manual ). Take your time and go through one section at a time until they are all done. ...

I have a step son that does just the opposite of what you have recomended...it isn't pretty, and it drives me up the wall. :banghead:

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted July 20, 2007 - 03:20 PM

Thank you Mr Moderator...and all...will go for it...a "4" doesn't seem intimidating so will haul down and get me the 32MM and torque wrenchs...Regards, KS

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.