Jetting & gearing Related?

2 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 31, 2000 - 12:26 PM

Has anyone experinced this? Switching to taller gearing making the bike run richer & fouling plugs.

My friends 99 WR is almost stock. Stock pipe with core removed, airbox lid removed, trottle stock cut. Stock jetting. He rode the bike all last year this way.

He installs a 15 tooth counter sprocket & fouls a couple plugs in the last few weeks. Plugs come out rather black. He says he changed nothing else except the sprocket.

Would the taller gearing put more load on the bike? The bike would be spending more time at lower revs? He might be lugging the bike more with the taller gearing & shifting less?

Any ideas?

Roy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 31, 2000 - 12:29 PM

I think the lugging is it. But, I would guess it his JETTING in that range that is the real culprit.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark.

• James_Dean

Posted May 31, 2000 - 08:06 PM

I aggree, tell him to move the needle 1 clip leaner and turn the pilot (fuel) screw in 1/4 turn.

Better yet, use a DVP or EVP carb needle. DVP should be used in the same clip he has been using, and EVP used 2 clips richer. These will both run slightly leaner when lugging the engine than the stock DTM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.