New brakes smoking?

15 replies to this topic
  • dirtyriders110

Posted July 19, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Is it weird for new brakes to be smoking and the smell of something burning coming from them? These brakes are brand new I just drove the car home from the shop. It was a 10-15 mile trip with 75% highway and no major braking (other than the usual)

Should I be concerned? I'm hoping its just something on the new brakes burning off from the heat.

If something is wrong, is it safe to drive? ( a little)

Edit: It was the front drivers side brake (could have been others) on a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a very small amount of smoke. Also I didn't drive through any rain or water so it wouldn't be steam.

• Matt2105

Posted July 19, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Inspect the pad. Sounds like you might have a sticking caliper. Check the pads and make sure they are both wearing evenly.

• dirtyriders110

Posted July 19, 2007 - 03:06 PM

It did feel like at times one would stick because I would feel a pull. If that is the case, could it eventually work itself out?

• markseaba

Posted July 19, 2007 - 03:08 PM

brakes do need to "seat" in, the pads that is. I little smell in the beggining should be ok, but keep an eye/nose on them, should go away. There might have been a little brake cleaner they got on the pads or rotor that burnt off creating the smoke.

• markseaba

Posted July 19, 2007 - 03:09 PM

there should NOT be a pull!!! If that is the case take it back to the shop ASAP and tell them about it.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 19, 2007 - 03:40 PM

Is it weird for new brakes to be smoking and the smell of something burning coming from them? These brakes are brand new I just drove the car home from the shop. It was a 10-15 mile trip with 75% highway and no major braking (other than the usual)

Should I be concerned? I'm hoping its just something on the new brakes burning off from the heat.

If something is wrong, is it safe to drive? ( a little)

Edit: It was the front drivers side brake (could have been others) on a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a very small amount of smoke. Also I didn't drive through any rain or water so it wouldn't be steam.

Brakes set up too high (drum) or the master cylinder needs more freeplay.

• Matt2105

Posted July 19, 2007 - 08:40 PM

It did feel like at times one would stick because I would feel a pull. If that is the case, could it eventually work itself out?

Unfortunately, no. If a caliper is sticking, you will have to replace the caliper. First make sure the pads are seated correctly. Then check to see if they are wearing evenly. If theres uneven wear, replace the caliper.

• dirtyriders110

Posted July 19, 2007 - 09:42 PM

I drove it again tonight about 10 miles and no smoking or heat from the wheel/brake area. I'm not sure if theres a drag or what, I'm going to keep my eye (feel) on it and see if I notice anything.

• Chickenhauler

Posted July 19, 2007 - 11:03 PM

I drove it again tonight about 10 miles and no smoking or heat from the wheel/brake area. I'm not sure if theres a drag or what, I'm going to keep my eye (feel) on it and see if I notice anything.

Could have been a small dab of petroleum residue from the tech's hands found it's way onto the rotor, thus causing a bit of smoke.

If the hubs feel the same temp, and the brakes aren't smoking any more, and they aren't pulling, then it sounds like you may be fine. Just keep an eye on things.

• kholman4dirtbike

Posted July 20, 2007 - 12:23 AM

Just like ChickenHauler had said...I just changed the brakes for the second time ever and got some smoking from just a SHORT drive, I'm almost positive it was from a little bit of residue on the caliper, It has stopped smoking and I won't think a thing about it unless it starts again.

• ddb0

Posted July 20, 2007 - 01:58 PM

new brake pads have a glossy coating on them. it take a little while to wear off that is probly what it was :thumbsup:

• dirtyriders110

Posted July 20, 2007 - 02:42 PM

new brake pads have a glossy coating on them. it take a little while to wear off that is probly what it was :thumbsup:

Thanks. :applause: Lets hope thats all it was.

I havent driven it any good distances yet so its hard to tell if something is wrong. Longest trip I've done is 5 miles, and then it sat for 3 hours, then 5 miles back. Didn't notice anything then. I'll keep you guys posted.

• Matt2105

Posted July 20, 2007 - 04:57 PM

What kind of pads are you using because ive never seen car pads have a glossy coating, and Ive seen thousands of pads as I work in a parts store.

• loopsrider

Posted July 20, 2007 - 05:44 PM

Contrary to what some say, brake pads do "seat" into rotors. Brake pads are held together with resins and bonding material. After a brake job it is common for a tech to go out on the highway and do a few "panick stops" being careful not to completely overheat the brakes and cause rotor warpage. During this heating process a small amount of the resins and bonding will transfer to the mircroscopic holes and omni -directional scuffing on the rotor. This is a good thing as it will provide proper brake feel and wear during the inital pad break in.

Also, many aftermarket and some factory rotors come from the manufacturer with a heavy wax/oil coat on them to prevent corrosion during transport and storage. It common practice that the coating be cleaned from the brake pad surface on the rotor. Many techs wipe this coating off after the rotor is installed leaving the coating on the hub area of the rotor. Sometimes this coating can burn off after the customer does hard braking even days after the brake job. Then it comes back to the shop as a smell while braking when it could have been advoidewd by cleaning the whole rotor....

Might be what you are smelling? It shouldn't cause a pull or heating condition though.....

• Matt2105

Posted July 20, 2007 - 05:47 PM

Also, many aftermarket and some factory rotors come from the manufacturer with a heavy wax/oil coat on them to prevent corrosion during transport and storage.
Might be what you are smelling? It shouldn't cause a pull or heating condition though.....

This is true. If you replaced the rotors, new rotors are typically packed in plastic bags and coated with an oil. If you didnt clean these off well with brake cleaner then that could be the problem.

• dirtyriders110

Posted July 20, 2007 - 09:35 PM

Well its hard to tell if its a pull from the brakes, or just my engine/tranny dieing. Because sometimes I lose power for a short time and then I regain power ( before the brake job, and after) so its hard to tell what I'm feeling.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.