Upper fork tube protection

16 replies to this topic
  • bleetham

Posted July 19, 2007 - 12:10 PM

I did a search on this but never found much. My upper fork tubes are starting to get nicked up from roost from other bikes. I've seen other people with stickers or tape wrapped around the upper tubes and I'm assuming this is for roost protection. Is there a product out there specifically for this? I've looked at BTO Sports and Rocky Mountain and didn't find anything.

Let me know what you do to protect your upper fork tubes.

• andy250

Posted July 19, 2007 - 12:21 PM

How 'bout lightspeed

http://www.motosport...AHA;YZF450;2006

• Ga426owner

Posted July 19, 2007 - 12:36 PM

I use carbon Fiber upper fork tube protectors with and w/o the stickers for added strength...I even have a extra set used if you want to purchase them....pm me if interested

• KJ790

Posted July 19, 2007 - 12:41 PM

I also use carbon fiber wraps, ,mine are made by carbon fiber works. If you want a cheaper alternative, Maier makes plastic upper fork guards that I have used on many bikes in the past with great success. They are pretty cheap compared to the carbon fiber ones.

• RCannon

Posted July 19, 2007 - 02:03 PM

If you want to go ultra cheap, get one of the fluorescent light covers they sell at the hardware stores. Cut to length, get them warm, and slap it on. Looks ok being that they are clear. They are not extremely durable, but for the price......

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted July 20, 2007 - 09:48 AM

Carbon Fiber Works has them. A bit heavier and wrap completely around the tube as opposed to the ones Lightspeed makes.

• bleetham

Posted July 20, 2007 - 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the quick response on this. I think the suspension on my 450 is awesome and want to keep it that way.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 20, 2007 - 10:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the quick response on this. I think the suspension on my 450 is awesome and want to keep it that way.

ok...what does that have to do with upper fork protection? All of the responses above do not affect fork performance......am I missing anything here? :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted July 20, 2007 - 12:24 PM

ok...what does that have to do with upper fork protection? All of the responses above do not affect fork performance......am I missing anything here? :excuseme:

If a huge rock puts a ding in your upper fork tube, the forks will not work right, and thus his great suspension will not work as well. Makes sense to me.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 20, 2007 - 12:50 PM

If a huge rock puts a ding in your upper fork tube, the forks will not work right, and thus his great suspension will not work as well. Makes sense to me.

ahhhhh makes since ...so thats why I protect them....duh.:bonk:

• bleetham

Posted July 20, 2007 - 01:10 PM

At a race two weeks ago the roost was fierce, I saw what looked like half of a brick flying through the air towards me. It went right past my front number plate and radiator, a near miss. That's when I really started thinking about this. I'm also getting some hand guards.

• KJ790

Posted July 20, 2007 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, here in NY there are rocks everywhere. I've concluded that there must not be rocks out west because all of the pros cray and moan about how rocky Unadilla is, but Unadilla has the least rocks of any track in NY that I have ever been to (even the sand tracks here are full of baseball sized rocks). Last year I had a rock go right through my front numberplate. I have also had many broken fingers (even with handgaurds) and even a broken collar bone from rocks. I always use fork protectors.

• Darvo

Posted July 20, 2007 - 01:39 PM

Sounds like it sucks there. We have absolutely no rocks on the tracks around here.

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2007 - 03:22 PM

I've concluded that there must not be rocks out west

What size rocks would you like? The one creating the shadow behind Junior there is 80 feet tall. :smirk:

Posted Image

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted July 20, 2007 - 03:27 PM

I agree with Gray. "no rocks out west" thats why we call 'em the Rockies!

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2007 - 03:31 PM

It really depends on where you ride, and how much effort the track manager wants to put into the soil prep. Some places in SoCal are just naturally low on rocks. Some places they rake through and amend the soil to clear as many as they can. You hardly ever see one at Cahuilla Creek, whereas at Amago, they've been wiggling up out of the ground as long as the track has been there, and they never run out.

• KJ790

Posted July 20, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Haha, that must be it, all the rocks out west are too big to be picked up and thrown by a motocross tire! There are tracks here that have rock pickers that pull behind tractors. They haul away truck load after truck load of rocks and still the tracks are covered in baseball sized rocks that break bones pretty easily. All of the pros hardly ever wear chest protectors or use hand guards, yet whenever they come to Unadilla or Broome they all have handguards and chestprotectors and still complain about the rocks. Just this year at Unadilla, DV12 had a rock go through his engine and blow it up and Vilipoto had a rock go through his radiator. Unadilla has very few rocks at it IMO.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.