New tank & seat

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 30, 2000 - 04:19 AM

An update for anyone that cares.

I installed a Clarke 3.3 gal tank & a YZ style seat last week. Results...GREAT!

Like everyone has already said before it is a very good change to make to your WR.

I wanted to try for a softer stock height YZ style seat so I ordered an IMS base & a Factory Effects seat cover & soft foam. It cost a little more, but I am very happy with the result. The seat is more comfortable than the stock seat & now the bike turns much better. For all those vertically challenged I think the bike feels a little lower, maybe it's not but it feels like I can touch the ground better.

I am very happy with the Clark tank, very easy installation. Everything bolted right up, nothing had to be modified. Bike feels much slimmer & easier to move around on.

Question for anyone with a Clarke tank. Is there any reason the switch to a right side fuel petcock?

• Scott

Posted May 30, 2000 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the info Roy.

Does anyone know the miles per gallon the WR gets on the average? I'm trying to decide if I should get the large capacity tank or the OEM YZ400 tank.. Thanks!

99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Twin Air filter,E-Series,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,front and rear lights removed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jlm400

Posted May 30, 2000 - 07:43 AM

Roy, I see no advantage what so ever to drilling new holes on the right side and placing the petcock over there. It worked very well for me in the predrilled left side holes.

I average between 20 and 25 mpg on my YZ 400 depending on how hard I twist the throttle.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 30, 2000 - 11:38 AM

The only advantage to having two petcocks is to draw fuel from both sides of the tank when you get under the hump. I have on occasion had to resort to laying my bike on it's side to get the fuel to the petcock side of the tank.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 30, 2000 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the input on the petcock. I didn't think I needed one on the right but I thought I would ask the experts.

On fuel mileage 20-25 mpg sounds about right to me.

By the way I dealt with MX South for most of my stuff, they are great to deal with.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.