DirtBike reviews 11 new exhaust

10 replies to this topic
  • Airastro

Posted May 26, 2000 - 03:16 PM

The new DirtBike has reviews on 11 new exhaust for the yz/wr.

• Mech

Posted May 26, 2000 - 11:03 PM

HI,
Which issue are you talking about???? JULY or JUNE.

• Airastro

Posted May 27, 2000 - 09:58 PM

I believe it is the July issue. I just picked it up yesterday from my local dealer.

• MotoGreg

Posted May 27, 2000 - 03:25 PM

Well, here's my limited exhaust test. I run an E-series S-bend with tapered head pipe. A friend wanted to borrow my spark arrestor muffler for the weekend so I took his stock yz400 muffler and slipped it onto my tapered head pipe. I rode today at the Elsinore vintage track which is fairly tight and twisty. I've ridden there about five times in the last two weeks so I'm really familiar with it. This yz muffler sucked so bad you wouldn't believe it, I had zero midrange. Where Normally I come out of a slow corner with my E-series and whack it open and get a big strong hit that floats the front wheel off the ground. Today I got a super slow, lazy buildup of power, no fun at all. It started coming on strong on the top end on the one straight that was long enough but by then it was time to put on the brakes. In conclusion, if you ride tight stuff or like a strong hit in the bottom/midrange then a stock yz400 muffler is not the ticket. I'm kinda glad I tried this because I've been contemplating getting a Pro-meg instead of my S-bend to pick up a couple HP on the top end and now I know that isn't what I want!

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 28, 2000 - 03:24 PM

Motogreg, I was wondering if you had any eperience with the WR with stock head pipe and muffler with restriction removed. Is it close to the same amount of power as your e- series s bend with the tapered head pipe? Also is your WR YZ timed? Thanks for the info.
Angel Boy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 28, 2000 - 03:45 PM

G'day all,

I have tried;

1. DSP exhaust and taperred header.
2. Staintune and stock headerr

2. Tight and Twisty woods - Average. You dont gain on the bottom, you actually loose a little. Mid to top - nothing will beat it. Best for MotoX, SuperMotard and Desert. :D

1. Tight and Twisty woods - Nothing compares. Very smooth and an abundance of power in the bottom and mid. Top, OK, but rolls of a little. :)

Mitch

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 28, 2000 - 04:43 PM

Mitchy,
I will gladly sacrifice ALL top end for bottom anyday. How loud is the Staintune compared to the stock pipe w/ endcap removed? I see they have 3 models to choose from for our bikes. Does one fit the category I am looking for?

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 05-28-2000).]

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 28, 2000 - 06:27 PM

We have only one type that fits the WR/YZ. I will find a part number for you if you like.

Mitch

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 28, 2000 - 07:39 PM

For now, that's OK, Mitchy. I do have their websight bookmarked. I found 1 dealer each in Maine, Massachusettes and New Hampshire. I will give them a ring on the tele' on Tuesday. Tomorrow, Monday, is a National Holiday here in the States.
I am very anxious to read the pipe comparison in Dirt Bike. I really don't like the magazine, though. Hopefully, the comparison is done a professional manner.

So you like your new YZ tank, huh?

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark.

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 05-28-2000).]

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 28, 2000 - 07:46 PM

Hey Kevvie, get off line. Tried calling you... :)

• MotoGreg

Posted May 29, 2000 - 12:56 PM

I was wondering if you had any eperience with the WR with stock head pipe and muffler with restriction removed

I had a Canadian pipe with non-removable baffle so I never got to try it that way.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.