Mr. Magoo

9 replies to this topic
  • alexjoz

Posted May 23, 2000 - 12:06 PM

I'm having a real problem with fog and condensation in my goggles and on my glasses. I wear Scott goggles with glasses underneath. I've tried wearing a headband to cut down on the sweat and it helps a bit. After about an hour(or less) of riding though, if I'm not moving,I'm not seeing! I've tried antifog goop and whipes with little luck.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 23, 2000 - 12:42 PM

Although seemingly foul, spit, yeah spit on the inside of your goggles and all over your glasses (especially the lens :)). I have used this trick while scuba diving, inside my face mask. There is also available no fog spray or something like that for goggles. You can also try rubbing some soap on the inside of your goggles and glasses. Be sure you buff out the lenses on any of these methods used. If you are sweating on the inside of your goggles, the soap may get messy. I used to to the glasses thing, now I wear contacts. They give me zero trouble unless an MX track is covered with sawdust to help keep down the dust. They did that in PA. The dust would work it's way through the foam. I am planning on the laser surgery this fall for my vision. It's scary, but so is hoping you make the triple!

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat.

• Lou*

Posted May 23, 2000 - 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Kevin in New Hampshire:
Although seemingly foul, spit, yeah spit on the inside of your goggles and all over your glasses (especially the lens :)). I have used this trick while scuba diving, inside my face mask. There is also available no fog spray or something like that for goggles. You can also try rubbing some soap on the inside of your goggles and glasses. Be sure you buff out the lenses on any of these methods used. If you are sweating on the inside of your goggles, the soap may get messy. I used to to the glasses thing, now I wear contacts. They give me zero trouble unless an MX track is covered with sawdust to help keep down the dust. They did that in PA. The dust would work it's way through the foam. I am planning on the laser surgery this fall for my vision. It's scary, but so is hoping you make the triple!

I too have the same problem with sweating from under my eyes and fogging out causing all sorts of hassels, I've found that Palmolive green (dishwashing liquid)works as good if not better than anti fog and costs heaps less.

------------------
Lou

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 23, 2000 - 02:37 PM

For scuba and snowmobiling I use J&J baby shampoo. Much easier on the eyes than Palmolive and works better than store bought anti-fog stuff.

Never had a problem with my MX goggles fogging, so my solution may not apply. JTH

• Dougie

Posted May 24, 2000 - 06:48 AM

Also, try a little Rain-X on the outside of the goggles for when it rains. Water runs right off your goggles.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 24, 2000 - 08:10 AM

I used to ride with my glasses and had the same problems. I bought a pair of prescription Smith Violators from Pro-Vue. They use a 'carrier' lens inside that holds your prescription lenses. Kinda of pricey but they worked very well except in really dusty conditions. With the carrier lens you have four surfaces that collect dust.
I since started wearing contacts and am 95% happy with contacts under my Violators. I had the contact in my right eye come out 2 times in Mexico while on high speed dirt roads - combination of wind & dust is the problem. Properly 'oiling' foam on the goggles w/baby oil will help with the dust problem.
Now I also carry a pair of safety glasses for when it gets real tight & I'm having to work 'cause I sweat like a pig and the goggles steam up and I overheat. The safety glasses make a big difference.

As Kevin said, the ultimate fix is corrective surgery.

Brian

• Eric_in_WA

Posted May 24, 2000 - 10:50 AM

Fellow Sweatheads,

I sweat easily, usually starting when I go to unload my WR and get my gear on. Further, I have about 20/1000 uncorrected vision. The best solution to date is soft contacts and Scott goggles with the Scott dual lenses. The dual lens goggles were designed for snowmobilers. Bobs cycle supply (Minnesota) carries them. They work unbelievably well without any anti-fogging agent, even when it is raining and I am sweating profusely.

Eric in WA
++++++++++
’99 WR400, YZ timing, BigGun SDS exhaust, Jetting: 48 Pilot, screw 2.25 turns out, DVP needle clip # 4, 185 main (500 ft alt). Air box lid on without the snorkel, IMS Tank, YZ Seat, Acerbis Handguards, Scotts Steering Damper, Renthal Bars, Devol Rad Guards, Dunlop 755F & 756R Tires
’99 Polaris 400 Scrambler –“Trail Couch, Toolbox and Lunchwagon”, ’99 Honda Z50R, ’97 Honda XR70R, Kubota L275DT and an assortment of farm equipment.

• Bill

Posted May 24, 2000 - 12:01 PM

Last year at 39 my eye doc metioned the surgery. This year at 40 he did not advise it. He said that at 40+ my eyes would start to loose some of the nearsightedness i have and the sugery would not be beneficial. You may want to bring this up with your eye doc.

Sorry I could not spell optom...whatever!

• alexjoz

Posted May 27, 2000 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the feedback!!!!
I now know I officially 'sweat like a pig' and I'm a 'sweathead'! Is that like a sweathog? If you know what that is, you're an O.F. too.
I'm going to try riding with contacts as well as the other chemical solutions.
See what works!

• jj

Posted May 29, 2000 - 09:08 PM

Hey Eric!

I was just reading your post above and noticed you run 755's in the front and 756's in the rear. What do you think? I live in WA as well and I'm evaluating my options. What kind of terrain does this set up "not" work well. Have you heard anything about the Michlin S12's here in WA?
These WR's are funny machines, I also noticed you've done some jetting work, I've found that I haven't needed to re-jet at all. I guess each WR is really its own animal...

Thanks!

JJ

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.