BD D/S kit question?

11 replies to this topic
  • TrailRiderXRL

Posted July 18, 2007 - 04:05 PM

My XRR has a BD D/S kit. I broke my head light case then the bulb broke from water contacting it while hot. My question is: does the blown headlight bulb affect the tail light/ brake light? Just noticed that my tail light/ brake light is not working. It was working prior to the headlight incident. According to this schematic it shouldn't cause the tail light to quit!

http://www.bajadesig...kickstarts).pdf

• Coolidge

Posted July 18, 2007 - 04:28 PM

I dont believe it would affect t/lamp. I also have a BD kit. (XR600R) But my T/L bulb goes out all the time assumably from off road/vibration?

• dzrtrat1111

Posted July 18, 2007 - 09:13 PM

i had nothing but problems with the stock BD D/S tail light assembly.. it would constantly go out because of bad connection do to vibration, and my XR only see's the street.. I changed it to the Baja Designs LED tail light, which requires using a MX fender, and it completly solved the problem. Plus the LED is way brighter, and that's really good for being seen! total cost for the LED tail light and the MX fender was around $100 or so.

• hypersthenos

Posted July 19, 2007 - 09:05 AM

My guess is another connection came loose during your last crash. Make sure to check all the connections. Did the switch assembly get any damage? These switches are pretty fragile. You can dissassemble the switch and check for internal damage fairly easily. My switch has enough wear that it will not operate the tail light in the first position as the printed circuit has worn through. I agree that the BD LED tail light assembly is a good product but before mounting it you should remove the LED light assembly from the bracket & smear some clear silicone around the back edge to prevent water/dust intrusion into the electronics.

• kellismechanic

Posted July 19, 2007 - 02:51 PM

Did you check the fuse in the power wire? could have shorted and blown the fuse

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted July 19, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Did you check the fuse in the power wire? could have shorted and blown the fuse

No not yet! Would it be near the battery pack?

Must have been cracked by a roost! Didn't crash!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coolidge

Posted July 20, 2007 - 07:22 AM

Yes, it would be near battery pack, under seat. Good luck

• martinfan30

Posted July 20, 2007 - 09:31 AM

mine has been flawlessss.

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted July 22, 2007 - 12:29 PM

Yes, it would be near battery pack, under seat. Good luck

I'll check tonight!
Thanks

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted July 22, 2007 - 11:35 PM

Bulb was burnt!
Thanks for the help guys.

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted July 23, 2007 - 12:07 PM

Should have asked, what bulb do I need to replace the burnt one with?

• bosshog

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:51 PM

I replace my tail light bulb with an LED bulb and had no more issues with blowing rear bulbs. If you have a good Automotive Parts store near you or I've even seen them at Walmart. I believe it is a Dual Intensity 1157 bulb in the Baja Designs kit. Any LED bulb that will work should say "replaces 1157 bulb" or " 1157 series " This was one of the few flaws with the B/D kit but it was easily fixed.

bosshog

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.