YZ Seat/Tank

10 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 24, 2000 - 03:30 PM

Can anyone comment on how the installation of a YZ Seat/Tank improves performance? I understand the concept of moving forward on the bike however, I just bought my 99 WR a month ago and traded-up from a 96 XR 250. This bike has a similiar seat/tank set-up as the WR and turned very sharp. Is this a worth while investment? Thanks.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 24, 2000 - 04:27 PM

It was the best upgrade I made.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat.

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 24, 2000 - 07:26 PM

Look up the post...

"YEEHAAAA. Isn't Change Wonderful"

Mitch

• Bill

Posted May 25, 2000 - 02:28 AM

When asked what to buy first. After buying several different pieces for my bike. I would without a dought say the YZ seat and tank is the single BEST modification to make. The difference in the bikes ability to turn is incredible. Also with the IMS seat that I bought to make the conversion it has made it easier to touch the ground for my 5'11" height.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat/brick.

• Howard_Robbins

Posted May 25, 2000 - 03:19 AM

anyone know if IMS or other companys
make an aftermarket stock YZF tank.
My dealer wants $230 I think thats alot
for 2gal.If anyone has one and wants to
sellit drop me a email
thanks
98WR :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott

Posted May 25, 2000 - 05:46 AM

With all you guys out there using the, "other than stock" tank, what are you using?
Stock YZ400 tank?
IMS YZ400 tank?
IMS Oversize YZ400 tank?

Do the stock WR shrouds fit with all the above?

------------------
99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Twin Air filter,E-Series,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,front and rear lights removed

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 25, 2000 - 10:50 AM

The stock WR shrouds ARE identical to the YZ shrouds, believe it or not! The aftermarket tanks: Cycra (sp?), IMS, Acerbis, Clarke all take the stock WR shrouds. I may be mistaken, but to my knowledge no one made the stock YZF capacity tank other than Yamaha. Range is not a problem for me, that is why I have the OEM YZF tank. If I ever get out to Moab to ride with "The Gang", I will stick the stock WR tank and seat back on my bike. I found two used YZF tanks from a local guy that were in excellent shape for $200.00. Two YZ guys put aftermarket tanks on their bikes. I got lucky. I had placed an ad in Cycle News for two weeks. I had only ONE response from a psychopath in ND who wanted $230 plus shipping for his tank. My dealer wanted $220!
If you want to go stock Yamaha, CALL AROUND. I had heard that NCY Yamaha had good prices. There is a place in El Cajon, CA that advertises good prices, but someone said they essentially do a bait and switch thing on their prices.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark!!.

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 05-26-2000).]

• jlm400

Posted May 25, 2000 - 11:42 AM

I use the "Clarke" 3.3 gallon tank. It's cost is $145 and there is not a difference in performance between it and the stock yzf tank that I had on my bike.

• zimmermangm

Posted May 26, 2000 - 08:23 AM

I've only two rides with my '00 WR400, the last of which was on an outdoor motocross track. That was enough to convice me to swap to the YZ426 tank/IMS seat. I couldn't get up on the seat to go around corners, and the bike felt "huge" to all my friends who I let ride it. For $225, now I have a bike slimmer than my buddies old KX250! (Actually a little more with the YZ rear fender/front #plate). I haven't got to ride it yet, but just sitting on it- feels like a different bike.

• William

Posted May 26, 2000 - 11:45 AM

Is the IMS seat better than stock YZ seat?.

------------------
2000 WR400F

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 26, 2000 - 05:40 PM

The IMS seat is maunufactured by Ceet. I would assume it is a better quality vinyl and foam, but who knows?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.