is ams oil 0w40 safe?

5 replies to this topic
  • ZEHR

Posted July 18, 2007 - 01:35 PM

my, question is, is ams oil 0w40 safe for a wr 450f or would the "0" be to thin? hard on valves ect? i ran it before for about 300 miles and seemed to work good, then i switched to ams oil 10w40 and found my power had dropped off? also some extra info this bike is a supermoto on road and riddin hard. thanks

• Mutu

Posted July 19, 2007 - 12:38 AM

They are both 40 when hot so they should be the same.
You could go down to a 0w30 if you really wanted to.

I have found that a 15w50 seems to last longer, so thats what I use.
How long are you getting out of the thinner oil?

• face_plant

Posted July 19, 2007 - 05:56 AM

for the .02 hp you loose i would heavier oil better breakdown protection

summer 50-120 degreese 20/50 klotz synthetic
winter 0-40 degreese 10/30 klotz synthetic

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ZEHR

Posted July 19, 2007 - 12:42 PM

not sure about the time i get with the oil, i don't ride alot but when i do i strech it's legs, so i change it often.

• ccoates445

Posted July 19, 2007 - 07:57 PM

my, question is, is ams oil 0w40 safe for a wr 450f or would the "0" be to thin? hard on valves ect? i ran it before for about 300 miles and seemed to work good, then i switched to ams oil 10w40 and found my power had dropped off? also some extra info this bike is a supermoto on road and riddin hard. thanks

You shouldn't see a drop in performance if the higher number stays the same. Only a slight drag co-efficient difference as the engine warms from dead cold but never enough to notice a performance drop at temperature. Your ambient temp and riding habits will dictate the oil weight to use. Ontario is pretty cold eh? A 0w30 is fine for colder climates and up to a 10w50 for the hot stuff. I use a 20w40 in Arizona summertime and 10w30 the rest of the time.

• ccoates445

Posted July 19, 2007 - 08:15 PM

A couple more things about one of my favorite subjects. The "w" is for winter, or more accurately, cold weather viscosity. As well, the bigger the difference between the low and high number (ie: 10w50 vs 10w30) is acheived by adding more viscosity modifiers and thus there is less lubricating base material. Therfore slightly less life out of the higher delta-t. Synthetics seem to give better and more even life across the board but cost quite a bit more. Call me old fashioned, but I like petroleum products best.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.