NEEDHELP! YOUR OPINION

11 replies to this topic
  • WFO_DON

Posted May 23, 2000 - 02:12 PM

HAY GUYS I HAVE A CHANCE TO TRADE MY 1999 WR400 FOR A 2000 YZ426.(STRIGHT ACROSS) NO EXTRA CASH OR ANY THING.THE GUY I PURCHASED
THE WR400 FROM PURCHASED A 426 IN CANADA AND
HATES IT REALLY MISSES HIS WR400 .WHAT SHOULD I DO.CAN I RETARD THE TIMMING TO ACT LIKE A WR I LIKE MY WR ALSO. :)

PS THIS IS FOR REAL.

------------------
DON STEMPLE
WASHINGTON ST
OFFROADER
99WR400, FACTORY EFFEX GRAPHICS,FACTORY CONNECTION FRAME GUARDS,
AIRBOX LID OFF,PROCIRCUIT T-4 PIPE,87 HONDA CR500.

• jlm400

Posted May 23, 2000 - 02:32 PM

I ride a 99 yz400 and my buddy rides a 2000 wr400. I am very very pleased with my bike in every condition that I ride it in. But I had to change the gearing down a tooth in the front and up a tooth in the back and add a 10 oz flywheel wieght to get there. I do a lot of harescrambles and tight trails. As long as you are prepared to do a few things like that (depending on what type of riding you do) and dont care about the head light or tail light I think you would have to consider it. Getting a bike that is a year newer for free never hurt anyones pocket book. Look up resale values and go from there. Also check around in your area and see what would be easier to sell once you are ready to get rid of it.

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 23, 2000 - 04:55 PM

If you ride trails keep the WR if you are a rabid motocrosser get the YZ. The 2000 YZ is geared even taller than the 99 in first and second and is almost useless on any kind of tight trail. I would never get a YZ since I dual sport and trail ride. A YZ426 is a motocross bike period. It motocrosses great and is a total compromise on the trails.

WR WR WR

Clark

• Dougie

Posted May 24, 2000 - 07:58 AM

Also, keep in mind, the 2000 426s have been having severe clutch problems. You will more than likely have to replace it if he has not done so already. Yamaha, I believe, is starting to pay for the parts anyway but I don't think they will cover labor.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 24, 2000 - 09:09 PM

What answer did you expect from a bunch of guys that own WR's?

As the same question on the YZ side :D

In truth, which is "best" depends on your likes, riding style and terrain.

Don't feel like putting on the Nomex underwear today so I'll leave it at that :)

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• WFO_DON

Posted May 24, 2000 - 09:46 PM

chris almost every one has gone to yz timming
adding the gas tank and seat from the yz the only thing that is not yz is the light flywheel and trans.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 24, 2000 - 01:09 PM

(Nomex on)
So the difference is:
2000 Yz:
add a flywheel wt.
change sprockets

99 WR:
Change seats
Change tanks
change pipes
mod airbox
mod throttle stop
mod valve timing
rejet

You get a bigger motor and beefed up clutch and a bunch of other little changes to the 426 for free vs. your 99 WR.

No disrespect to Dougie, but do you know anybody, first person that had clutch problems with a 426? I race with a bunch of guys with these, Serveral, I'd call "friend", none of them has had a problem.

All of the guys I know with a 426 loves them, except one. He's too short for the bike and has a hard time starting it. He's back riding his YZ250. He's the second guy I know of to go back to two smokes, both had the same problems. I know one guy with a WR and he goes into buildings that are on FIRE so he doesn't count :) ( get the water going PyroTed, I'll need it :D )

Fast open terrain, Fast Aggressive Rider or Racer - YZ

Trees, tight terrain or casual trail rider - WR
( PyroTed, second alarm )

WFO_Don this is all "IMHO", do what makes you happy, I'm sure you'll have a ball on either bike :D

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• MotoGreg

Posted May 24, 2000 - 03:38 PM

If you change sprockets on a 426 to get first gear low enough to equal a wr400 then you will have a really low top speed.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• jlm400

Posted May 24, 2000 - 04:09 PM

I changed to 14-50 gearing on a yz400 and got first gear pleanty low enough for the timber and I have only needed a higher top speed than what I have once. That was on a 1 mile stretch of gravel connecting two sections of trees together in an enduro. Oh yea even though I wanted to go faster I was still blowing by a yz250 topped out.

I guess what I am saying is what everyone else is. Wieght the pros and cons per your riding style and go from there. But dont let anyone tell you the yz wont make a good trail bike because it is simply not true.

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 24, 2000 - 06:34 PM

Again its a matter of what you ride the WR is a hands down better trail bike than any YZ. Im talking trails here not wide open stuff. For Dual sport the WR wide ratio, and fuel range, kick stand, lighting coil, etc are the only way to go I only wish it were a six speed.

I believe most are saying the same thing if you ride trails and dual sport the WR if you ride open desert and motocross then the YZ. For my type of riding its a WR for others its a YZ. I'v ridden both and for me its a WR and on real trails its a WR with WR cam timing or a selectable ignition curve for better low end torque response. Lets face it you could argue this from many directions and all would have their merits, it boils down to what your riding intentions are and how well you truly understand your particular needs -- both are excellent motorcycles

Clark

• James_Dean

Posted May 24, 2000 - 07:24 PM

WFO,
You mentioned this was a Canadian 426, has it been registered yet? Are there any fees outstanding? Washington sales tax at 8.5% comes to about $500, unless you can work your way around it with an even trade. A street licensed '99WR is worth more money in Washington. Used YZ prices are dropping faster here than used WR prices. There is a reason he misses the WR, make sure they won't be the same for you. The transmission on the WR is a whopping 48% wider on the WR than the YZ426. That alone would turn me away.

• WFO_DON

Posted May 25, 2000 - 02:41 AM

JD taxes are taken care of now its up to me
i think i will sleep on it for a while its
a hard choice i like both of them.

thanks guys for the help.

------------------
DON STEMPLE
WASHINGTON ST
OFFROADER
99WR400, FACTORY EFFEX GRAPHICS,FACTORY CONNECTION FRAME GUARDS,
AIRBOX LID OFF,PROCIRCUIT T-4 PIPE,87 HONDA CR500.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.