Axle sizes. 98 same as 00?

9 replies to this topic
  • Greg_in_Atlanta

Posted May 23, 2000 - 12:22 PM

Help, are the axle diameters on my 00 WR larger than a '98? Thanks for your help.

• RodH

Posted May 23, 2000 - 02:22 PM

I know they are the same as the 99 model, but one thing I noticed is the countershaft sprocket nut has been reduced from 32mm down to 27mm.

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• MotoGreg

Posted May 23, 2000 - 04:12 PM

Which axle? The '99/'00 rear hub is different than the '98 and older style so I assume the axle would be different as well. I think the front is the same for all.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 23, 2000 - 05:53 PM

I believe that Yam went to larger axels in 99 the hub and rear brake disk are also different. The rear disk rotor is larger in 99.

Clark

• imported_Scott_H

Posted May 23, 2000 - 06:22 PM

I have 98 WR. Both axles are .785" (~20mm).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Grum_from_Oz

Posted May 23, 2000 - 11:57 PM

While wer're on the topic of axles, sprockets,countershafts etc., I have simple question that you guys can answer. Which way do you rotate the countershaft nut to replace the sprocket? I tried to put a 14 tooth sprocket on the other day and couldn't get the damn nut off. I was rotating the nut counterclockwise (ie: same direction as chain motion) and it wouldn't budge. Is it a reverse thread or something? Anyway please advise.
Cheers.
Grum from Oz
'99 WR400, Tingate pipe, B&B bashplate, airbox lid removed, WR timing.

• MotoGreg

Posted May 24, 2000 - 03:41 PM

It's normal threads, use an impact gun to shoot it off.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Heywood

Posted May 24, 2000 - 05:03 PM

My counter shaft nut was tighter than a mutha from the factory too! I didn't have access to any air tools (which would be the right way to do this) so I used a piece of pipe slipped over the end of a ratchet to get more leverage. I held the rear wheel (with the chain on) to keep the counter shaft from spinning.

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 24, 2000 - 06:38 PM

If you do not have access to air tools you can also take a 12-14mm sockett and jam fit it between the countershaft sprocket and the swingarm/chain rub pad to hold the C/S sprockett while unbolting and torqueing.

Clark

• Grum_from_Oz

Posted May 24, 2000 - 06:43 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go this weekend.
Cheers
Grum from Oz.
P.S Totally addicted to this site. Awsome job and thanks to Brian and all the other regulars - you know who you are. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.