Vin #'s in 49 state vs CA

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 27, 2000 - 01:10 PM


Is it true that the California models
have a "C" or a "3" in the eighth digit
in the vin #? Just curious?

Mine is a California model with a "3" but
I've talked with buddys back east that have
a "3" also. Is there such thing as a "C"
(California) model? Hope not.


  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 29, 2000 - 08:12 AM


My bike is from N.C. and has a #3 in the 8th vin havn't seen any with [C] FOR THE 8TH VIN.

  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 08, 2000 - 10:48 AM


Seen the 1# yamaha with 8th vin as a [c]at the yamaha dearler in

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bender

Posted May 18, 2000 - 08:32 PM


from what i've been told the "3" or "c" in the 8th digit of VIN is a nationwide criteria that is required to import the bikes into the US. I recently heard of a guy that bought a Canadian model ( had no 3 or C) and was able to get a street plate in California. Supposedly he bought the bike in Calif, and it was imported from Canada. Once i personally talk to the guy and get the full story, i'll post a complete report.

  • Bill

Posted May 19, 2000 - 04:33 AM



Where do you live in NC? I'm in the Raleigh area and always looking for new people to ride with. We're also going to Budds Creek for the national..interested?

Bill Hall

You may email me, find me in the members section.

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat/brick.

  • Clark_Mason

Posted May 19, 2000 - 06:04 AM


As posted before My 99WR came from Airzona was purchased new in California, has a "W" in the eight digit and has been streeted for the past 14 months and the tags renewed once. I think the "W" is a key. My friend Scott just had to have a WR and like me Street liscnese is manditory. He finally found a used 98 with a "W" in the eight digit and once he receives his Baja dual sport kit gets it installed he will be registering it in Ca. I think it will work since mine has just been renewed.

If you have a 3 or a C in California you are basicly SOL unless you get creative with out of state street reg first then bring the bike into California and claim it has more than 7500 miles then the DMV will grandfather the out of state plate. This last paragraph is what I'v picked up from reading the forums--DON'T KNOW IF ITS REALLY TRUE BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE TRYING.


  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 23, 2000 - 10:51 AM


Bill sorry to get back to you so late. Went to co. to ride with bryan but it was a snow out.Bill i live in ca.[ northern] my mom lives in rockymount nc. i will make it out there this year I'LL BRING MY BIKES WITH ME hope to go in august don't know yet.I will also stop by co. and try to ride with bryan


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.