Help with triple clamp mod.

6 replies to this topic
  • rushfan

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:29 PM

I have an 05 wr450, and I'm up grading to a RG3 upper clamp. From what I hear, the clamp won't accommodate the head light and odometer. My questions are...

1) What can I do to keep the head light and odometer?
2) What do I do with the wires if I lose the light?
3) Can I use any after market # plate to replace the old one?

Thanks in advance, rushfan.:thumbsup:

• rushfan

Posted July 18, 2007 - 07:21 AM

Hey shifty 450, are ya out there??

How 'bout Indy400???:thumbsup:

Hellooooo...... echo echo echo echo echo echo echo

• shifty450

Posted July 18, 2007 - 07:36 AM

Golly, rushfan. I really don't have an answer for you. I've never made any changes to my triple clamps on any of my bikes. I wish I could help. Sorry.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted July 18, 2007 - 07:45 AM

You may be able to make a bracket off of the RG3 top clamp bolts or you could get a YZ front plate and cut a small hole so that a cheap driving light could mount through it and just hook it up to the headlight wiring. This is what I did on my old 426. WR Dave http://img.photobuck...ve/100_0643.jpg

• rushfan

Posted July 18, 2007 - 09:17 AM

Well, here's the deal. On the stock clamp, the pinch bolts are in front. There is a bracket that goes from one side of the clamp to the other and is mounted on the pinch bolts. This bracket is what holds the top part of the light and the odometer. What I need to know is, do the pinch bolts on the RG3 clamp have the same spacing as the stock clamp? If so, then I have nothing to worry about. I would then be able to use the stock bracket.

• tony1970

Posted July 18, 2007 - 01:53 PM

Do you have a good deal on the RG3? I went with a Scotts upper clamp and had zero issues with headlight and odo fit. But, if you have a good deal on the RG3 a number plate should not be hard to convert. The odo you may need to make a bracket, or go with a aftermarket computer. Good luck.

• rushfan

Posted July 18, 2007 - 02:52 PM

Do you have a good deal on the RG3? I went with a Scotts upper clamp and had zero issues with headlight and odo fit. But, if you have a good deal on the RG3 a number plate should not be hard to convert. The odo you may need to make a bracket, or go with a aftermarket computer. Good luck.

Yeah, I did get a good deal. These are supposedly the best clamps for anti-vibration. $246 OTD and the EVO bars were $76 OTD. I feel that I did pretty good.

Thanks for the reply.:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.