2006 yz450 braking rotars question

14 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Hey guys, I'm either going to get braided brake lines or waves rotars for my 2006 yz450f. I was just curious if anybody who has an 07 can tell if the new wave rotars make a big difference in stopping power. Please letme know a.s.a.p Thanks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:18 PM

Hey guys, I'm either going to get braided brake lines or waves rotars for my 2006 yz450f. I was just curious if anybody who has an 07 can tell if the new wave rotars make a big difference in stopping power. Please letme know a.s.a.p Thanks :busted: :thumbsup:

Get the GYTR 270mm disk. It works way better than stock. I also have the steel braided line, but it's the rotor that makes the difference.:thumbsup: :cheers:

• KJ790

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:22 PM

Wave rotors make no difference in stopping power. If you want more stopping power, buy an oversized rotor kit.

• jjgixxer

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:29 PM

Wave rotors make no difference in stopping power. If you want more stopping power, buy an oversized rotor kit.

I have to ask, me and my dad got into a argument over this. He said it will not stop you any better then a stock rotor. He was stating that it will cool better/ not get as hot which in case will not get brake fade. But will have little or no effect besides that. His argument was, if your not putting bigger pads, or more pistons how will it stop any better ? He also thought that being bigger mass it will take longer to stop the rotor. I said it will stop better... :thumbsup:

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Get the GYTR 270mm disk. It works way better than stock. I also have the steel braided line, but it's the rotor that makes the difference.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have disagree. I put the braking oversize rotor on my bike and while it did improve stopping power, the brakes still felt like they were spongy at first then all of a sudden, the brakes would lock up. I recently put steel braided lines on my bike and on the front, the spongy feel was gone and the brakes were smooth and even all the way through the pull. The rubber line expands under hard braking. I've also put only steel lines on my 250f and it stopped the spongy feel and made the brakes feel more controled and even.

And the diffrence between the wave and oversize kit is this: the wave cools better, but the big rotor has more leverage from placing the caliper out from the rotor more.

• KJ790

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:44 PM

The purpose of wave rotors is that they clear debris from between your brake pads. In theory they will cool a little better, but in real life they still are effected by heat and brake fade sets in. To ride with them you would never know that you had them. They work exactly the same as normal rotors, they just look cooler. Braking power is a frictional force and friction is completely dependent on the applied pressure. Suface area has nothing to do with stopping power. Most wave rotors are actually lighter than standard rotors, but the diameter and mass of a rotor is so small that they have a very small moment of inertia and thus have no effect on the rate at which the wheel slows down.

• twenty34

Posted July 17, 2007 - 05:56 PM

I have disagree. I put the braking oversize rotor on my bike and while it did improve stopping power, the brakes still felt like they were spongy at first then all of a sudden, the brakes would lock up. I recently put steel braided lines on my bike and on the front, the spongy feel was gone and the brakes were smooth and even all the way through the pull. The rubber line expands under hard braking. I've also put only steel lines on my 250f and it stopped the spongy feel and made the brakes feel more controled and even.

And the diffrence between the wave and oversize kit is this: the wave cools better, but the big rotor has more leverage from placing the caliper out from the rotor more.

You can disagree, but like I stated, I have both the oversize rotor and the braided lines. I agree with you that it does tend to stop abruptly, but it's still much better than stock, so I accept it. As for spongyness, I didn't feel the braided line made that much difference either way.

In short, I feel the front brake on this bike sucks in general, however, I'm much happier now. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted July 17, 2007 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about getting an oversized for the front and just a normal wave for the rear. It seems like if I doubled that up with some steel braided brake lines, I would have some serious stopping capabilities. Just my 2cents though on the matter.:thumbsup:

• TMAC25

Posted July 17, 2007 - 10:05 PM

I have a braking oversize wave rotor and it is the bomb, not as tuch as stock and no it does not lock up at all. IT has way more cush to it then stock or a regular oversize rotor, and yes much better stopping power. I dont care what anyone says, braking brand oversize wave rotor is the bomb.

• Justin89

Posted July 18, 2007 - 08:29 AM

That's what I was leaning towards...

• ben_suhard

Posted July 18, 2007 - 08:43 AM

RC doesn't use wave rotors, but he does use an oversized front disc, enough said. The EBC 280mm oversize disc rocks, and it's cheap too! More power and more feel with less effort. http://pitposse.stor...et/ebcovro.html

• Ga450owner

Posted July 18, 2007 - 11:15 AM

man lots of differing opinions....Stock wave rotors to replace stock reg rotors....will make no difference period..except to look better
I have Brakings oversized 270mm on my 03 with Galfer braided lines and these blow my 06 stock brakes away....The stock 06 brakes are not bad either. A Braided line will get rid of the spongy feel - at least it does for me and for instantly better brakes that will improve lap times...a 270-280 mm rotor wave or non wave will work awesome...saving up for 1 on my 06 ....

I will tell you the rear wave rotor and rear braided line works well to but not to the degree of the 270 -280mm front rotor kits...pads are also key....I use CM-44 and SM-15s that are no longer made by braking:thumbsup:

• Justin89

Posted July 18, 2007 - 12:07 PM

I know...it's really hard on what to decide on!

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2007 - 02:33 PM

If you're in a lot of mud all the time, a wave rotor will improve braking performance by clearing the mud from the brake pads faster.

All things being equal, the larger the rotor, the mpore stopping power it will have; it's just simple leverage.

The thing that doesn't get considered too often is the material used in the rotor. Most OEM rotors are stainless steel, which makes the very durable, and keeps them from rusting, but it produces less friction against most brake pads than most kinds of carbon steel does. Braking makes their rotors with carbon steel which gives greater stopping power, but wears a little faster, and may need some attention to keep the rust away. (I hope there's no one out there who I have to tell not to spray their rotors with a rust preventative)

That's pretty simple by itself. The snag comes when you start mixing these features together and trying to compare that, like an standard sized steel wave rotor vs. an oversized round SS one. :thumbsup:

Spongy feeling brakes, assuming there is no air in the lines, can come mainly from either a springy hose that bulges too easily under pressure, or from brake pads that don't provide an adequate amount of friction, and require you to squeeze harder to get results.

• Justin89

Posted July 18, 2007 - 04:33 PM

I ride mostly track where I live and for about the first hour, it is just pure mud about 8inches deep and is slick as snot. After that hour the track turns pretty nice and sticky but the whole track is a fast track in itself. (Some parts 4th and maybe fifth gear) I just wanted to have the extra confidince in my stopping power while going that fast and for slowing down in the berms.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.