PBI sprocket = Almost a DNF for me .

12 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted July 17, 2007 - 03:44 PM

I was about 180 miles away from home at XR650L_Daves house, we had just met and had a good chat for a couple hours, pulled out of his driveway, click to second and nothing , try again, nothing,

THANK GOD IT HAPPENED RIGHT THERE!!!!!

Pushed it back to Daves garage and this is what Dave found or rather didn't find! :lol:

From new Dave said it was misaligned and that's why it completely sheared the mating splines off. Daves better at explaining and most likely he will chime in.

http://pbisprockets.com/

I bought the bike with it on so was unaware that it was not on correctly.

I did a search on PBI here and found a few post concerning quality control problems too, INCLUDING another PBI that Dave happen to have that was also defective.

I'm not going to bad mouth the whole company saying not to buy but only expressing to watch out if you do get one of there sprockets.

Dave saved my day (actually the WHOLE weekend) BIG TIME by hooking me up with a used 15 tooth stock sprocket Heck of a guy that did it at NO CHARGE! :thumbsup:

All that I can say is THANK YOU DAVE !!!! :thumbsup: :cheers: :bonk: :busted:

Posted Image

• cleonard

Posted July 17, 2007 - 03:47 PM

That's not the real problem. Take a real close look at the countershaft. One of my friends had a 93 650L and we are pretty sure that the PBI sprocket is what caused the splines on the countershaft to fail. The sprocket is an easy fix, the countershaft is not.

I stopped buying PBI products back then.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 17, 2007 - 03:52 PM

I know! I'm real lucky mine were not worn down, that would have cost BIG MONEY.:thumbsup:

I feel your pain man . :thumbsup: All because of a $15 part

" MANUFACTURER OF QUALITY MOTORCYCLE SPROCKETS FOR 40 YEARS."

That's hard to believe.

I happen to see that TT sells them .

I just hope that if anyone buys one they don't have the same issue .

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 18, 2007 - 08:13 AM

That's not the real problem. Take a real close look at the countershaft. One of my friends had a 93 650L and we are pretty sure that the PBI sprocket is what caused the splines on the countershaft to fail. The sprocket is an easy fix, the countershaft is not.

I stopped buying PBI products back then.

Huffa, there you are! Glad to hear you made it back.

How was the 15-42 gearing?

Cleanoard, this failure was seemingly a little different.

Somehow the sprocket was riding too far out on the shaft so the sprocket splines were partially hanging over the slot the keeper fits into. This accelerated the wear, fortunately more on the sprocket (for a change) than on the shaft.

Looking at the remains of the sprocket splines, it looks like the sprocket had the holes for the keeper drilled in the wrong place- the sprocket splines (tall parts) were not fully aligned with the shaft grooves (low part of the spline).

The keeper groove on the shaft did take a beating, though. Its been widened, with the extra wear on the outboard side.

The PBI sprocket I had was a 13-tooth that came with a big C-clip to hold it onto the shaft.
I didn't like that one bit (no sir!) and I only used it enough to decide to go with a 13, or not.

Dave

• cleonard

Posted July 18, 2007 - 09:35 AM

I guess that I didn't elaborate enough.

I had the exact same failue on an 81 XR500. The splines on the sprocket sheared/wore off. It had the old style 6 spline countershaft. About a year later my friends 650L did the same thing. A year or so later his countershaft failed. At the time we felt that the earlier failure of the PBI sprocket started the wear process on the countershaft. The same thing was happening to the XR500, but the rest of the engine failed before the countershaft splines.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 18, 2007 - 09:59 AM

I sent you quite a long email 2 days ago Dave, guess you didn't read it yet ?

Can't recall if it was your home or work though, well wait a minute, it was a reply on the one you sent me on Sunday I guess, so where ever that was, my reply is there.

The 42 I really like, stretches out the powerband really far, SURE........the bike doesn't have the aceleration it had with 45 but that's not what I'm after.

In my younger days the 42 would not do, now, with the long distnace I like to do, I'd never go back to a 45.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coolidge

Posted July 18, 2007 - 10:03 AM

Bummer. Good thing it happened where it did. My XR600R is about ready for sprockets/chain R&R (back sprocket looks like a Shark fin. To avoid said problems, which sproket/chain (o-ring) do you guys rec.? I mostly ride dirt.
Thanks in advance ~Guy

• cleonard

Posted July 18, 2007 - 10:09 AM

I've been running a Rocky Mountain chain and sprocket kit since Feb 2006. It's been working great. I was pleasantly surprised with the front sprocket. I was expecting a cheapo part, but it appeared to be machined well and it's been lasting great. I have a Renthal that I was going to use, bet the RM one looked better to me so I ran with it.

I got the o-ring chain. Even though it has been fine, spend the extra few $$ and get the x-ring chain. It is a better chain.

My previous chain was a RK SO o-ring chain. With a steel rear it lasted about 4 years of riding most every weekend.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 18, 2007 - 10:31 AM

I sent you quite a long email 2 days ago Dave, guess you didn't read it yet ?

Can't recall if it was your home or work though, well wait a minute, it was a reply on the one you sent me on Sunday I guess, so where ever that was, my reply is there.

The 42 I really like, stretches out the powerband really far, SURE........the bike doesn't have the aceleration it had with 45 but that's not what I'm after.

In my younger days the 42 would not do, now, with the long distnace I like to do, I'd never go back to a 45.

Yep, haven't checked the home email for a few days...

Glad you made it home.

Dave

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 18, 2007 - 10:34 AM

Oh, I just realized that if you want to keep the sprocket away from the edge of the splines (since your keeper groove has been widened) you could (maybe) put thin washers (more like shims) on the retention bolts, between the plate and the sprocket.

Dave

• Huffa 2

Posted July 20, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Oh, I just realized that if you want to keep the sprocket away from the edge of the splines (since your keeper groove has been widened) you could (maybe) put thin washers (more like shims) on the retention bolts, between the plate and the sprocket.

Dave

True, I'll give that a try.

Just ordered a stock Honda one and retention plate. I'm sure after market does not come with those cushions on them + I'm :eek: paranoid now !

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 20, 2007 - 01:16 PM

Let us all know if you can tell any diff. between 'cushioned' and 'non-cushioned'.

Dave

• InternalCombustion

Posted July 21, 2007 - 06:00 AM

Lucky guy, Huffa, to have it happen at Dave's.

I was out riding the 650R last weekend and started hearing an occasional clicking sound from the chain area. Stopped and looked and the chain was way loose. Happened in a matter of a few hours of riding, too.

Weird.

Didn't have a wrench with me to tighten the chain so I just headed for home, nice and easy. When I got there I tightened the chain and had to move the adjusting blocks all the way to the rear. So I think its safe to say its time for a new chain.

Glad you made it home, dude!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.