YZ 450 low end rumble (doesnt sound right)

9 replies to this topic
  • bross

Posted July 17, 2007 - 03:30 PM

My brand new 07 YZ 450 has been broken in and taken in for first service where the jetting was done and engine oil changed and all that nice stuff. I just took it out and after about 5 minutes i noticed that it did not sound right while i was riding it. I got off and i can hear a low end rumbling noise and im not sure what it is. Any help would be appreciated. The bike starts the first time i kick it too...

Thanks

• matts06yzf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 06:09 PM

like a knocking sound? if so this is normal on the yz do a search been brought up alot

• motox100

Posted July 18, 2007 - 09:20 AM

Pull in the clutch and see if the sound goes away. My clutch is kinda noisy when sitting at idle.

• warrior86

Posted July 18, 2007 - 09:59 AM

o man, your connecting rid is about to blow out. Take it straight to the dealer....... j/k j/k Calm down.

Its normal. Yes its hard to believe yamaha would send the bikes into production for two years straight knowing it makes a noise like that. I know i wouldnt buy a car that sounded like this...normal or not. I guess they're at an advantage because you cant "test drive" a bike...atleast not til you officially sign for it... and by then its too late. I guess they just didnt care. It couldnt be more obvious so its not like it slipped past their R&D.

• hillclimbguy

Posted July 18, 2007 - 04:24 PM

I always freaked out about the low end noise too. My KTM is even louder. Even when I put on a Quieter exhaust it just made the lower end louder.
Its just normal noise. Thumpers have lots of moving parts. Just change your oil often and ride the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CO_Rider

Posted July 18, 2007 - 04:47 PM

I think it is normal also. I get a pretty loud rumble that doesn't sound right coming from my exhaust (could still be a jetting problem) but I have heard other 450's and they seem to sound the same so I think it is pretty normal. My 250F really never did it but this is a lot bigger motor putting out a lot more power so its probably just the nature of the beast. As far as the motor itself, they are pretty noisy on all the bikes so that is common. Just ride the heck out of it and have fun :thumbsup:

• bross

Posted July 19, 2007 - 11:15 AM

thanks for the help it seems to be nothing like you all say. It has recently been hotter where i live as well which could also be the source of the noise. I too had that low end noise from the muffler but jetting made it less noticable.

Thanks

• Ga426owner

Posted July 19, 2007 - 12:41 PM

thanks for the help it seems to be nothing like you all say. It has recently been hotter where i live as well which could also be the source of the noise. I too had that low end noise from the muffler but jetting made it less noticable.

Thanks

you can always take it back to the dealer.....:excuseme:
Most of us that noticed it got rid of it with a skidplate and foam...Works Connection to be precise.....

• 02YZ426

Posted July 19, 2007 - 05:19 PM

My 07 has that same noise but when I pull the clutch in it goes away. Aparently the 06 did it too but my 06 didn't.

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2007 - 05:53 AM

A growling rattling noise that goes away when the clutch is disengaged is common to all YZF's going back to the 400's. My '03 does the same thing. It isn't as loud on the steel framed models because the aluminum attenuates noise better, while steel deadens it.

http://www.thumperta...462#post3204462

If yours is louder than another one, you might have a mainshaft bearing going bad, but otherwise, it's just normal.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.