Are my Valve readings correct?

13 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted May 15, 2000 - 03:35 PM

I am hearing, all of a sudden, what seems like much more engine rattling noises than normal so I checked my valve clearance today.

I believe they are still in spec. Can I get your opinions on that?

Exhaust (.25 - .30mm is spec)
.25 slid in easy
.28 slide in with minor resistance
.30 went in but I had to really push hard
.33 did not go in
Same for both

Intake (.15 - .20mm is spec)
.15 went in easy
.20 went in with hard resistance
.25 would not go in
Same for all three

So I have two questions:
1 - Are they in spec.
2 - what could be making all that noise all of a sudden.

One thing I did notice was that when the timing mark was lined up right on, the two intake marks on the cams did not line up with the top of the engine. I moved the timing mark very slightly to the right and then the cam timing marks were right on with the top of the engine. that is when I measured.

When I did the YZ timing about 6 weeks ago all the marks were right on.

Thanks

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 05-15-2000).]

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 15, 2000 - 04:03 PM

Could it possibly be your cam chain? You can check to make sure your tension is ok. You could wind it up, then realease it.
Or is it one of those sounds that are always there, but you have never really noticed until now?
My 650 Seca Yamaha had a lot of cam chain noise, but that was NOT auto adjusting. My chain was loose.

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 05-15-2000).]

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 15, 2000 - 04:44 PM

Dougie

Your valve lash adjustments sound fine to me. I also am hearing or think I'm hearing a lot more engine noise than before?? I also checked the valves, checked the cam chain etc and all cheded out OK. Im also noticing some stuff on my oil filter, some magnetic some not. But since I change my oil every 200 miles or so I'm not sweating it. I'm just going to keep riding it damn hard and if it blows report it and then build it again. The Bike is running great otherwise, so I'l just keep on trucking.

I wonder if its that carburetor slide valve plate slapping around or maybe the new harder plastic/nylon chain guide I just added after going through four (4) stock guides.

Time will tell hope its not a time bomb that goes off before I get my Power Bomb.

Clark

• Gary_Martin

Posted May 15, 2000 - 06:24 PM

This might be bleedin' obvious, but have you recently installed an alloy bashplate - these make your engine sound like its going to jump out of the frame!

• sbohanon

Posted May 16, 2000 - 01:56 AM

in the last couple of rides and races, i have noticed quite a bit more noise. have been punishing it more than in the beginning. the bikes about one year old with around 50+ hours on it. probably just now breaking it in!!

• Dougie

Posted May 16, 2000 - 06:55 AM

Thanks guys, it sounds like I'm just being paranoid. I got my big Moab weekend coming up over the Holiday and want to make sure the bike is in top shape.

I did just recently switch over to the Yamalube semi-synthetic engine oil about 250 miles ago after about 2000 on the regular Yamalube oil. But I doubt that would harm anything, especially going to a better oil (or is it?)

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• sbohanon

Posted May 16, 2000 - 08:32 AM

just bought the semi-synthetic myself, going to change the oil this weekend.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 16, 2000 - 08:40 AM

Hey Dougie,
How are those One Industries tank graphics of yours holding up? I want to cover up my YZ tank with something. Are the gas fumes peeling off the tank graphics?

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 16, 2000 - 02:02 PM

Dougie.. those measurements are fine.
Usually they tighten up if anything.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• Dougie

Posted May 17, 2000 - 02:38 PM

Kevin,

Those graphics have been holding up very well on the tank. No bubbling at all. they have been on since late January. I don't leave gas in the tank too long. Especially if it is going to sit more than a week.

I had to cut mine to fit the IMS YZ tank and some of the edges were coming loose after some dirty rides. I just cut the loose ends away and it looks just like new again. The shroud graphics are holding up great. Even with a few wipeout scratches on them.

I like them a lot and would recommend them if you are looking.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400

• olson_jr

Posted May 19, 2000 - 01:14 AM

Have any of you guys experiencing this perceived new noise replaced your clutch yet?

• sbohanon

Posted May 19, 2000 - 02:21 AM

not yet.

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 19, 2000 - 05:43 AM

I recently installed a Hinson basket, new fiber plates and new springs. Every spring in my clutch was out of tollerence after 14 months. So I guess I replaced my clutch.

However, I started noticing the increased engine noise, increased vibration at higher RPMs and stuff in the oil filter about a month before I replaced the clutch components.

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 05-19-2000).]

• olson_jr

Posted May 22, 2000 - 08:52 AM

Did the noise go away with the clutch rebuild?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.