Starting is ridiculous

16 replies to this topic
  • Ponga

Posted May 19, 2000 - 02:21 PM

I have owned and used many bikes over the years, I know how they work and what to do with them. I already own a 350 Banshee Quad, and have just bought a 400, I'd heard that they were a bit hard to start, but the one I have just bought is absolutely ridiculous - it takes up to half an hour to start, every time I stop it I can't restart it I have only done 12 miles since I got it.
I have looked at the starting tips and that it what I am doing. Have I missed something or should I take it back to the dealer.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 19, 2000 - 02:32 PM

Check out the starting tips from MXA in the tech section.

Mine is generally a one kick starter hot or cold if I follow "the drill".

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 19, 2000 - 02:54 PM

After parking my bike all winter, I had an awful time starting mine. I had defaulted to the starting procedure that was used to start my brothers Yamaha XT500. I couldn't start it to save your life. After reading the MXA procedure and remembering how to do it correctly, my bike also is a 1-2 kick affair. I'll tell you what, I was really cursing my bike and thinking of the electric start KTM's. But I am over that now!!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 19, 2000 - 02:57 PM

I also had a Banshee. 1997 yellow and red.
I put on Toomy T-5 pipes, (a must have pipe)
and race kit.

It sound like you need to address your jetting issues as these machines will start on one to three kicks with ease. First thing to do is to trash your existing spark plugs, then know your riding altitude, humidity, exhaust pipes used, and air filter used, fuel mixture needle posistion and finally Main jets. These are the all the important ingredients for tuning that beast we all call "Double Trouble". witout knowing your current settings of the above, it's impossible to reply an answer to your delema.

D. out

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 19, 2000 - 03:02 PM

If you are talking about your WR400f I would still use the guide above. Trash the existing plug, check the needle and air screw carb settings against your riding area. Good luck!

D.

• YZFWrench

Posted May 19, 2000 - 03:35 PM

Over-oiling the air filter will also cause BIG starting problems. I replaced the stock filter with a Uni and lightly oil it- starts everytime!

Phil
'00 YZ426

[This message has been edited by YZFWrench (edited 05-19-2000).]

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 19, 2000 - 04:59 PM

Ponga,Ponga,Ponga, I cant believe my eyes, did you say that the WR400 is hard to start? I think I must of got a special WR, Because I can start my bike 1ST kick everytime, whether im in antartica or death valley!! You've got to find top dead center with your compression release then gently stike the kick arm with your pinky and Ba'Bam You've got FIRE!! Have fun Dan

• Bryan

Posted May 19, 2000 - 05:34 PM

I agree with you 100 percent Dan.

My bike takes two or three kicks when completely cold on a cold day. Other than that, rarely more than 1 kick.

Sounds like your gassing it before you kick? That'll do 'er. That's bad. Don't touch that twisty thing when the engine is not running. Also make sure your jetting is right.

Bryan...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted May 19, 2000 - 05:48 PM

I had problems at first too. For one, follow the jetting advice in the tech section. Two, oil your filter several days before you plan on starting the bike, it usually won't start within 48 hours of putting on a thick coat of oil. Three, DO NOT even think about putting your hand anywhere near the throttle when starting, you have it cracked 1% open and it'll flood out if you're lucky, if you're not lucky the kick starter will break your leg. Once you get these things figured out it'll start first kick every time.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Dougie

Posted May 20, 2000 - 02:34 AM

Do you have kids? Kids love to twist the throttle. My neighbors kids are facinated with my bike's throttle. Drives me nuts.

I remember a funny line on the WR in one of the mags a year ago. They said carry a hollowed out cactus with you and put it over your throttle any time you get off it to keep maroons from giving it a twist.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• jasonmcc

Posted May 20, 2000 - 02:47 AM

Hi

My WR400 is so easy to start when you do it right that I can start it with no shoes on!

Jason

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 20, 2000 - 02:50 PM

I just got mine 2 weeks ago and learned the starting procedure carefully. It starts always first or second kick and I am not used to that bike. This is my first four stroke kick starter.

• Scott

Posted May 21, 2000 - 06:20 AM

My bike is a "one kicker" too - after I've started it once...I can go in the garage at any given moment and fire it up, but it takes a good 20 kicks to start it after trailering it to a riding site..

Any tricks on starting it first thing after a nice ride in the trailer?

------------------
99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Twin Air filter,E-Series,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,front and rear lights removed

• jj

Posted May 21, 2000 - 06:44 AM

Try turning off your fuel before you trailer it. If that doesn't work try shutting off your fuel and running your carb empty.

JJ

• WFO_DON

Posted May 21, 2000 - 07:52 AM

SHOOT I START MINE WITH TENNIS SHOES,SECOND KICK EACH TIME.I ALWAYS LIGHT MINE OFF BEFORE
LOADING IT UP FOR A RIDE.ALSO NEVER HAVE
REPLACED THE STOCK SPARK PLUG YET THE BIKE
HAS 600 MILES ON HER.

1999 WR400 FX GRAPHICS W/T SEAT COVER ACERBIS SILVER FRONT & REAR FENDERS SIDE PANELS,PRO CIRCUIT COMPLETE PIPE,FACTORY
CONNECTION FRAME GUARDS.(THIS BITCH RIPS!)
MEMBER N.M.A. WASHINGTON STATE.

• Bill

Posted May 21, 2000 - 12:58 PM

Make sure your accelerator pump rod is centered in the pivot hole. If not bend out or squeeze in the stop that the pivot hits. Does that make sense????? Until the rod is centered in the pivot.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat/brick.

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 21, 2000 - 02:24 PM

G'day Ponga,

When you picked up the bike, was it new or used? If the bike was run, then lift parked for some time, then the fuel in the carb will effectively turn into a jelly like residue and slightly clog the carb. So, if it was sitting there for some time with the fuel left on, then carb cleaning is required. Otherwise, forget everything I just said..

:)

Mitch

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.