WR 450 07-08 questions

6 replies to this topic
  • ophir

Posted July 17, 2007 - 09:46 AM

I am considering going back to a WR450, 08. My dealer told me that delivery is out about two more weeks. I find this odd because the other WRs I purchased usually did not come out until Sept-Oct.

I have some questions about what I am getting into.

1. Carb: The GTYR kit comes with jets. Does the carb have a fixed needle? Does the GTYR kit come with an adjustable needle?

Has anyone put a YZ needle in the WR carb?

Is there a JD jetting kit for the 07?

Is all of this jetting worht it? or should I get another KTM that did not require any jetting?

2. Does the YZ plastics fit the WR?

3. What aftermarket tanks fit?

4. Does the 07 (08) have the grey wire? If so where is it located.

• fdubaaron

Posted July 17, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Every one of these questions can be answered very quickly if you search these forums. The simple answers are yes, there is a JD jetting kit for the 07, some but not all plastics from the YZ will fit the WR, there are tanks from IMS and Clarke for the WR. I know the 07 has the grey wire and it's behind the left side number plate. The jetting is worth it if you buy the WR, whether to buy the WR vs the KTM really shouldn't be based on the jetting but the numerous other glaring differences. The stock 07 needle has one clip position but the GYTR kit comes with a needle with I think 5 clip slots.

• ophir

Posted July 17, 2007 - 09:56 AM

Your response is appreciated. I note that there is some info on this; however, it is not overly clear. In the past, I enjoyed my WRs, BUT it usually takes me about a month of tearing down the carbs to get them to run. Did you go with the JD or use the needle in the GYTR? Do you know what plastics will fit? I assume the rear and front fenders?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted July 17, 2007 - 10:04 AM

Your response is appreciated. I note that there is some info on this; however, it is not overly clear. In the past, I enjoyed my WRs, BUT it usually takes me about a month of tearing down the carbs to get them to run. Did you go with the JD or use the needle in the GYTR? Do you know what plastics will fit? I assume the rear and front fenders?

The only piece of plastic that you can use on a STOCK 07 WR from the YZ is the front fender.

If you buy the IMS 3.1 g tank, then you will have to buy the YZ shrouds.

That's it as far as plastic goes.

• yamahead01

Posted July 17, 2007 - 09:05 PM

I have an 07 with all the trimmings this is my first 4 stroke and I went with the jd kit and it and it was set it and forget it.The bike is scary fast no tweaking required.

• ophir

Posted July 18, 2007 - 08:52 AM

Your help is appreciated. I called the dealer today and I am now being told that the WR will be coming in at the end of August. This sounds more normal for the release dates of a WR.

• Murray Dorward

Posted July 20, 2007 - 05:14 AM

The Ims 3.1 Gallon '06 fits the Wr450 '07 but you have to install YZ450'06 or 07 tank shrouds. Front fender fits no other plastics are interchangable. Rear fender is differant as it has a place for the CDI unit. Side panels dont fit as the airbox is differant size and subframe is differant on the left for the quick access airfilter. Front number boards stand out +-60mm due to the computer and light harness. Doesnt fit properly as you will have to zip tie it on or make special brackets for it.

The WR450 '07 & '08 are basically the same bike so I would assume the grey wire is next to the CDI unit behind the left side cover. Once Yamaha bring out fuel injection I think the grey wire saga will finally be over.

Cheers

Muz
:ride: :sa: :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.