What should I do? 07 or 08 450

36 replies to this topic
  • Huckster

Posted July 18, 2007 - 04:26 AM

DV12 used 22mm in '06 on his YZF outdoors as did Reed. The '07 pushes for sure, but it can be lessened a good deal with the proper suspension set up and a fresh, good front tire.

• Ga450owner

Posted July 18, 2007 - 04:29 AM

Get some 22mm RG3's for your bike...I have them and can tell a huge difference.

tried em and like the 24mm better...:thumbsup:

• rickallen124

Posted July 18, 2007 - 09:09 AM

The 27mm offset was for the 06 yz250f only. Applied recommends the 24mm on the yz450(06-07) and 07 yz250f due to the frame changes for the 07 250f.

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2007 - 11:04 AM

Nice to hear the clamps helped that much. I am confused though, i thought for the 06 models, Dr D was recommending 27mm offset clamps, or was that just for the 250F?

As posted above, the 27mm was for the '06 250F, not the 450.

• matts06yzf

Posted July 18, 2007 - 02:40 PM

gray w\do you know what is stock on the 07? 24mm?

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2007 - 02:44 PM

gray w\do you know what is stock on the 07? 24mm?

http://www.thumperta...321#post5025321

• Ga426owner

Posted July 19, 2007 - 04:59 AM

I just received a copy of MXAs 2008 specs for both the 250 and 450.....

Lets just say I am not enammored by the new yzf450 camshaft......the 08 lobes have been reduced from 105 -for 07 to 100 for 08 to "increase throttle response and tame the bark"...yamaha 07's were already tamed......I am now concerned even more bark is gone.....Throttle response can be fixed other ways.....with carb. Am I missing something here..or does it seem like Yamaha wants a 450....that is last to turn one.....
I like bark...and I like the Camshaft that I installed in my 03 that increases the bark...from Crower Power. I think my 06 is just about perfect power/bark wise.......I am not sure what yamaha is doing......

I see that the intake tracts on the 08 head have been changed for better fuel flow that is good...

I do however luv the blackcases and wonder if they will be a identical fit to the 06.....especially the Yellow SE

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2007 - 08:22 AM

You can change the cams, either by just replacing them with whatever you like, or you could press the sprockets off and re-index them (assuming the grind profile is the same as the earlier cams, and only the timing was changed). You would first need to find accurate information as to the precise timing profile of each of the two cams as they are timed in both the '08 and '06 or '07 to determine whether this would be workable.

Ron Hamp is very enthusiastic about the newer heads, and has said that the '06(?) head he's using now is the first one he's been able to crack 60 hp with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted July 19, 2007 - 08:49 AM

You can change the cams, either by just replacing them with whatever you like, or you could press the sprockets off and re-index them (assuming the grind profile is the same as the earlier cams, and only the timing was changed). You would first need to find accurate information as to the precise timing profile of each of the two cams as they are timed in both the '08 and '06 or '07 to determine whether this would be workable.

Ron Hamp is very enthusiastic about the newer heads, and has said that the '06(?) head he's using now is the first one he's been able to crack 60 hp with.

I agree Grey...I am just not sure what audience or customer that Yamaha is making this bike for....or marketing it to..Don't get me wrong, it is a sweet @$$ bike...but powerwise...I am confused The rest of the package gets sweeter each yr from a production run ...03- 05, 06 -08
....suspension, weight, handling, components...agreed? My true verdict will be when I ride a 08....

It seems to me that the past 2 450s the 03 and the 06 were the power bikes....and ironically the 1st addition/releases....that did not seem to be the case with the 400/426 releases...they were all pretty equal powerwise 98/99 and then 2000-2000, right?
Then the 2003 was the power monster followed by mellower 04/05s and then the 06 redesign ...the more bark/power hit than the 07 and now the 08...why the move from 03/06 to have a 1st yr power centric bike, followed by the mellowed power bikes....so I ask who are they making these for....the beginner/novice rider/racer that can customize the power as they get faster? The fast guys/pros will surely modify this bike if it is tamer than last year...agree?
Or is all of this a sign...that lesser barking bikes are the way to satisfy the AMA.....that is screaming for a 350 4stroke? Stupid AMA...:foul:

Well maybe the 09 will be the next power/new design bike....if history repeats itself....:excuseme: This is the one I am waiting to find out about....:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2007 - 09:53 AM

I agree Grey...I am just not sure what audience or customer that Yamaha is making this bike for....

The rest of the package gets sweeter each yr from a production run ...03- 05, 06 -08
....suspension, weight, handling, components...agreed?

It seems to me that the past 2 450s the 03 and the 06 were the power bikes....and ironically the 1st addition/releases....that did not seem to be the case with the 400/426 releases...they were all pretty equal powerwise 98/99 and then 2000-2000, right?
Then the 2003 was the power monster followed by mellower 04/05s and then the 06 redesign ...the more bark/power hit than the 07 and now the 08...

The '03 was certainly a monster. Riding it is a lot like trying to slalom in a 427 Camaro. It was said that the '04 was mellower, but having ridden one, there's not that much difference, frankly. If you remember, the YZ450 was roundly criticized for this by the press, and the public was put off by the fears that publicity generated and the experiences of people who found it too much for them. It was said the the CRF450 was more rideable.

In response, the '05 was much softer, too soft, in the opinions of most, and the CRF got snappier.

The '06, if you recall, was criticized for its lack of a thrill factor and generally failed to make an impression on most people's butt dyno's. In spite of this, actually racing against the now even snappier CRF450 and the earlier YZF models proved this to be a rather masterfully created illusion. The bike was actually very fast, it just wasn't as difficult to manage. Some say that the '07 is weaker than the '06, yet it shows the same numbers as the '06, and we have guys here bragging about how regularly they grab hole shots with theirs.

So, the whole thing is just a little weird. Honda was praised for being smooth, and is now being praised for snappier. Yamaha was criticized for being snappy, and is now being criticized for going smoother. As to whether the bike is slower, I think I'll wait and see how they actually perform, and not pay to much attention to how fast they "feel".

Either way, the chassis is a remarkable achievement.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 19, 2007 - 11:38 AM

agreed the Chassis is unreal....and for my old but it is plenty of bike

David

• The Italian Stallion

Posted July 19, 2007 - 03:48 PM

Get some 22mm RG3's for your bike...I have them and can tell a huge difference.

Yeh I have them on mine too and they helped out for sure.although i never tried 24s .I wanted to make sure that there would be an improvment and only going 1 mm ??? you know what I mean? I have to say I was expecting the same Improvment on my yamaha as I did when I put offsets on my 04 honda but no the clamps were not a total fix for the Yami but A good improvment and even pretty damn good with the forks up 10mm. Now I am going to try a taller seat that some of you guys recommended to me.I have it on now but I hav'nt had a chance to ride it yet It kind of makes the bike look like a Can Am MX6! But just sitting on it on the stand it feels way easier to move around on . I hope this does the trick for me.I will give a ride report as soon as I get a chance.

• matts06yzf

Posted July 24, 2007 - 05:50 PM

damnit I just dont see the 08 being 1800 more than what I can get a 07 for. Time I do exhaust and suspension will not be cheap. there are deals on 07s 5200 bucks otd. Just wish some good reviews would come out on the 08. The bad thing is there isnt alot of difference between 06 to 07. what ya guys think?

• Ga426owner

Posted July 25, 2007 - 05:06 AM

damnit I just dont see the 08 being 1800 more than what I can get a 07 for. Time I do exhaust and suspension will not be cheap. there are deals on 07s 5200 bucks otd. Just wish some good reviews would come out on the 08. The bad thing is there isnt alot of difference between 06 to 07. what ya guys think?

nope not a lot of difference..and no real test of the 08 yet

• Justin89

Posted July 25, 2007 - 11:09 AM

I recently saw the 08' at my local dealer and let me tell you they sure do look great with the black cases and new graphics. The shorter exhaust looks awesome as well. I know that looks have nothing to do with anything, I'm just saying they look good. If I were you, I would get the 07, which is cheaper, and get an exhaust ,suspension, exc. You will have an awesome all around bike that has mods as opposed to a bone stock bike that you paid more for. Either way,I would like to be in your position, being able to pic an 07 or 08 brand new!..lol..good luck:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 25, 2007 - 11:25 AM

I just saw a white 08 at yami dealer here in Ga.....way too much money but it sure looks sweet

• matts06yzf

Posted July 25, 2007 - 12:24 PM

I just saw a white 08 at yami dealer here in Ga.....way too much money but it sure looks sweet

I know they look sweet but will look just like my 06 in 2 rides haha. I just want something fresh im probably closing in on 200 hours or more on mine. It scares me. But damn this bitch is tough. As much as I am on the limiter, etc it hasnt had a valve out of spec yet. :blah: I just want a fresh one but I am just waiting on some reviews.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.