What should I do? 07 or 08 450

36 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 08:51 AM

Ok my 06 has been great but I have tons of hours, I do not know the exact hours but I bought it pre owned and I Ride atleast 4 days a week on my personal track. Looks like I will have to do exhaust on 07 or 08 from what I have read, and of course suspension. The only reason is Yamaha finally addressed the front in push on 08. I Dont have a huge problem with my 06 but I did ride, a 07 rmz 450 and it carves like a knife compared to my 06. I have tried damn near everything to get it better but seems thats the bike. My question is what would you do? I can get an 07 for around 5 k otd. so I can get enzo to do my susp again and get an exhaust for what I will have in the 08. Damn this sucks. But I want a bike that turns like the suk but I have to have yamaha.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2007 - 08:55 AM

Yamaha finally addressed the front in push on 08.

On what do you base that statement?

• matts06yzf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 09:00 AM

I knew something was coming. "Steering head pipe and steering stem are 5mm shorter; lower forged triple steering clamp is lighter—for enhanced handling feel. Swingarm pivot stiffness is revised to complement front-end changes and further lighten and improve steering/handling"

http://www.yamaha-mo.../1/0/video.aspx

Gray, have you ridden a new RMZ? I know you have always defended the 06 handling and like I said, I dont have a huge proble with it but, god the suk was amazing.

• matts06yzf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 09:03 AM

I based it on they changed it:crazy: its been clearly stated by many that the bike has a push, I have done everything with my susp, tires, forks, etc and It does not turn like my friends 07 crf, or the 07 rmz, I do however like my bike much better on many other things but if the 08 turns better then for me I think it would be the perfect bike.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2007 - 10:01 AM

Yes I have ridden an RMZ, and yes, I do like the way it turns, but I find it somewhat more prone to oversteer than the YZF. Not too badly, mind you, but some.

If you have ever ridden a good half miler, or a Speedway bike, then you'll understand when I say, "All MX bikes push". Some less than others, but they all will, even the RMZ. The head angle is the thing, and you can only get away with being just so steep on the kind of extremely uneven ground involved in motocross. On straights in the rough, the fork needs the shallower angle to work smoothly over the bumps, as the bike runs into them as much as over them. In corners, a steep head angle invites the front end to "hook in", or "tuck under" when the road rises. Steering geometry is always a compromise.

What I like about the YZF is, to me, how completely neutral it is when it's set up right, neither pushing nor oversteering excessively, which way it goes being pretty much up to the rider, and the very small amount of effort required to get it to change directions. My perspective may be different than some in that I spend most of my time on my '03, and that bike pushes on turn-in really hard. Life-long Honda guys may see things another way, but the '06-7 YZF won't loose the front end in half an eye blink without warning the way a CRF will (assuming a decent front tire).

But I very seriously doubt that the items you list are going to make any major change in the handling of the bike one way or the other. The shortening of the head tube will do nothing at all other than to make the steering head that much lighter, which is good, of course, and I don't think I know of anyone who could, in a blind test, tell the difference between a forged and a cast clamp set. So, unless they changed the head angle, which I would love to see them do, the trail, or the wheelbase, it will handle pretty much the same as an '07.

• adamdf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Listening to the webcasts for the nationals, apparently Grant Langston has been quite vocal on his disliking of the way the bike handles and they say he's hoping to finish out the nationals this year on the 08 model. Now this is something i don't quite get, hes on factory equipment unavailable to us, so how does the 08 help anything? Unless the AMA has a rule that states the chassis has to be a production chassis, i think i read that somewhere, do they have that rule?

If they do in fact have that rule in place, then statements like that will definitely have people moving away from buying left over 07s and buying 08s instead. Question is, sales strategy or truths? Only yamaha themselves would know if having their riders bad talk their current bike and hype up thier new model will help them financially. I personally think none of us know the turth about what the 08 is like untill we hear some real world reviews and comparisons to other models......

What i can tell you is that i love my 06 YZ250F, it is the EASIEST bike to move around on and flick around in the air and its just awesome, BUT i wish it had the front end stick of a zuk, kawi, and the ktm. IF it just had a little more front end stick, theres no doubt it is the perfect chassis.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2007 - 10:31 AM

My understanding of the AMA rules on that is that in the first year of a new model, the factory is allowed to use "Works" components not available to the public. After that, everything has to be BASED on what the publicly sold model has on it. But don't think that means that the bikes the top factory teams are running are stock in any way, suspension, engine, or otherwise. Sometimes it's suprising how close to stock they are, but still, they aren't.

I know the Reed was running a set of custom offset head bearings to change the geometry of the bike he rode last year. Other mods are also allowed. If Langston doesn't like the bike, he should have it changed for him.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 17, 2007 - 10:34 AM

Listening to the webcasts for the nationals, apparently Grant Langston has been quite vocal on his disliking of the way the bike handles and they say he's hoping to finish out the nationals this year on the 08 model. Now this is something i don't quite get, hes on factory equipment unavailable to us, so how does the 08 help anything? Unless the AMA has a rule that states the chassis has to be a production chassis, i think i read that somewhere, do they have that rule?

If they do in fact have that rule in place, then statements like that will definitely have people moving away from buying left over 07s and buying 08s instead. Question is, sales strategy or truths? Only yamaha themselves would know if having their riders bad talk their current bike and hype up thier new model will help them financially. I personally think none of us know the turth about what the 08 is like untill we hear some real world reviews and comparisons to other models......

What i can tell you is that i love my 06 YZ250F, it is the EASIEST bike to move around on and flick around in the air and its just awesome, BUT i wish it had the front end stick of a zuk, kawi, and the ktm. IF it just had a little more front end stick, theres no doubt it is the perfect chassis.

Grant Langston has been complaining about bike set ups for years....I think it is now his daily excuse for not winning........but he sure is good at Whining....

I rode a 06 last week that had the Applied Racing 24mm offset clamps......and I will tell you this...as much as I stepped up to say the 06 turns fine etc....stock. The 24mm offset was unreal....so much so that I now have a black set/rubber mt'd on order for my 06.....SE. GreyRacer, it is
that much better....my only problem with the 06 turning was when you transition from left to right or right to left....the front tends to feel very light and it will push regardless of fork heigth and tire choice.....well that is gone completely now. DRD..The Dr is correct 24mm it is :thumbsup:
I tried RG3 25mm and another brand 27mm also and the results were not as spectacular/drastic.....does it carve like a RMZ450? It is a toss up....
I prefer the power that the 06 has to the 07...and if some of the news posted here is true, the 08 will be milder......and that ain't no good as far as I am concerned. I will wait for a 09.....until then my 06 is just about perfect....hell I may even buy some black wheels and Talon hubs just so I can look cool.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2007 - 11:15 AM

Grant Langston has been complaining about bike set ups (among other things) for years....

The Understatement of the Year :thumbsup:

I rode a 06 last week that had the Applied Racing 24mm offset clamps......and I will tell you this...as much as I stepped up to say the 06 turns fine etc....stock. The 24mm offset was unreal....so much so that I now have a black set/rubber mt'd on order for my 06.....SE. GreyRacer, it is that much better....The Dr is correct 24mm it is :thumbsup:

Some people are better test riders than others. It has very little to do with riding ability, and everything to do with one's sensitivity to the equipment and to think and observe in truly objective, analytical terms. Doug Dubach is one of the best there has ever been. If I had his opinion in one hand, and that of 1000 experts who all disagreed with him in the other, guess whose word I'd go with?

• Ga426owner

Posted July 17, 2007 - 11:23 AM

The Understatement of the Year :thumbsup:

Some people are better test riders than others. It has very little to do with riding ability, and everything to do with one's sensitivity to the equipment and to think and observe in truly objective, analytical terms. Doug Dubach is one of the best there has ever been. If I had his opinion in one hand, and that of 1000 experts who all disagreed with him in the other, guess whose word I'd go with?

Agree, DRD is da man!
I dont believe the "push" is as drastic as peoples imaginations/statements we read all day on TT....but back to back my 06 and this other 06...all I can say is it can be better. And the cost for the clamps is not as bad as I thought:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matts06yzf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 11:49 AM

Ga didnt they go to the 24mm in 07 factory? What brand did you get?

• Ga426owner

Posted July 17, 2007 - 12:29 PM

Ga didnt they go to the 24mm in 07 factory? What brand did you get?

Matt good question - I think they did but not sure. This is for the 06s
I bought Applied Racings 24mm Factory kit upper and lower clamps cost 323.00 also the rubber cones that are not included 20.00

• matts06yzf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hey you said the 24mm was unreal, but you bought 25mm why is that because I see where applied makes them in the 24mm. What are on the 06 factory?

• matts06yzf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 12:48 PM

And Gray did they go to 24mm in 07? So will that help much over the 06?

• Ga426owner

Posted July 17, 2007 - 12:50 PM

And Gray did they go to 24mm in 07? So will that help much over the 06?

oops 24mm....25mm is stock on 06..sorry typo

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2007 - 01:08 PM

And Gray did they go to 24mm in 07?

I'm not aware of it. Doesn't mean they didn't. The stuff Dubach does has a mysterious way of ending up on the production bikes.

• racerxx276

Posted July 17, 2007 - 02:40 PM

gray your so right about how the Yam steer. I got rid of my rmz after riding one.
I currently have an 06 and 07 yz450f , both have the applied 24 mm offset clamps
For what ever reason the 06 corners so much better. Have never been able to get my 07 to steer like my 06.
impatiently waiting to hear how the 08 is....

• matts06yzf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 04:11 PM

The more I read the more I get so damn confused, so what the hell do I do :thumbsup: I have to go get a beer.

• adamdf

Posted July 17, 2007 - 07:27 PM

Grant Langston has been complaining about bike set ups for years....I think it is now his daily excuse for not winning........but he sure is good at Whining....

I rode a 06 last week that had the Applied Racing 24mm offset clamps......and I will tell you this...as much as I stepped up to say the 06 turns fine etc....stock. The 24mm offset was unreal....so much so that I now have a black set/rubber mt'd on order for my 06.....SE. GreyRacer, it is
that much better....my only problem with the 06 turning was when you transition from left to right or right to left....the front tends to feel very light and it will push regardless of fork heigth and tire choice.....well that is gone completely now. DRD..The Dr is correct 24mm it is :thumbsup:
I tried RG3 25mm and another brand 27mm also and the results were not as spectacular/drastic.....does it carve like a RMZ450? It is a toss up....
I prefer the power that the 06 has to the 07...and if some of the news posted here is true, the 08 will be milder......and that ain't no good as far as I am concerned. I will wait for a 09.....until then my 06 is just about perfect....hell I may even buy some black wheels and Talon hubs just so I can look cool.:thumbsup:

Nice to hear the clamps helped that much. I am confused though, i thought for the 06 models, Dr D was recommending 27mm offset clamps, or was that just for the 250F?

• Justin89

Posted July 17, 2007 - 08:43 PM

Get some 22mm RG3's for your bike...I have them and can tell a huge difference.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.