Any special tools or advise for greasing head, linkage and hubs?

3 replies to this topic
  • jj

Posted May 18, 2000 - 08:16 PM

I've heard night mares about no grease in the head and the linkage and am going to check them out along with my hubs. Any special advise or knowlegde of tools to complete the job would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

JJ

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 19, 2000 - 01:12 AM

No special tools needed.
DON'T blow the linkage bearings with comp. air after cleaning!
There are a nolothene (sp?) cage and the comp. air F@#ks them!
Trust me.. I found out the hard way!
The chain side swingarm bush also wears quicker than the rest.
Always replace the sleave if you replace the bearing and visa versa.
Watch the shock bearings.. there are a spherical bearing and are HELLISH expensive.. Turn them around to expose the inside and squeeze some grease into them.
I used 'Motul Top-Cup' grease as it comes in a tube, is Lithium based, and orange in colour (easy to see dirt etc).
If you have to replace a bearing you can save the seals by removing them with a thin, flatbladed screwdriver.
Replace bearing and sleeves if there is any sign of major and in-uniform fretting.
The linkage sleeves have a grease hole in them and the bolts are hollow which will allow for easy nipple installation.. only thing to do is to line sleeve up where it shits on bolt and mark where to drill a hole.
NOTE; the bolts are hardened and you may have to get someone to Air-arc the holes in them.. this process is reasonable cheap and should not be a problem if you mark the holes out before hand... worth it though.

Aftre doing all this lubing, do it more often.
I'm still waiting for expensive bearings and sleeves after 6 months of 'neglect' :)

Hope this helps.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 19, 2000 - 05:42 AM

I don't know about "special", you do need some pretty big sockets. I didn't have them and had to make a run to Sears ;-)

Pay attention to how the linkage goes together, which way the bolts go, ect. One of the links has a "notch" to clear the head of the bolt on the bottom of the shock. This link will go on just fine with the notch on the wrong side. Then you get to take everything apart and flip the link over. Don' ask me how I know that! :)

Maybe it's my imagination but the rear end seems to stay hooked up MUCH better in breaking bumps and under rough acceleration with the linkage well greased! :-)

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• Dougie

Posted May 19, 2000 - 05:50 AM

Lots of paper towels.

Two 22mm sockets and two wrenches with at least one 6" extension.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.